TARMAX Injector Pass around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Aug 13, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Finally got to my first shave with the Tarmax injector. I used a Personna blade with 1 shave on it and turned the adjustment a half turn from where the handle bottomed out. Razor has plenty of bite if not careful at this setting. Took down a week or so amount of growth with no problem at all and with a Personna blade which usually doesn't perform well in less efficient razors. End result BBS finish achieved.

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Any more word on these razors? or have you 2 guys absconded with them. :)

Lancre and Dave in KY like this.
  3. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Josh got my address on Sunday and said he'd mail early this week. Not heard anything since I am assuming he's in the Caribbean and having excellent shaves :happy097::happy102:

Lancre and twhite like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I hope he sends some good pictures of them together.

Lancre and Dave in KY like this.
  5. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

LOL, you got me… almost out of the country!!

Just kidding… I did get @Dave in Ky’s address - got bogged down in the ER this week. It’s boxed up and ready to go out the door. I just have to make it to the PO.

I had two more TARMAX SE Shaves and they were really good overall. It is a very smooth shaver and does do a pretty good job taming the GEM blade for me (even a brand new one). Having the adjustability for someone who may take a couple days off between shaves is the icing on the cake!

I’m eager to see if the Injector version shaves similarly for me. I think @BBS still has it.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twhite and Dave in KY like this.
  6. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Looks like you're the point of convergence after all. :eatdrink047:

Dave in KY likes this.
  7. Dave in KY

Bogged down in the ER ? Hope you're in the healthcare field or doing okay ?

hins2jw0 likes this.
  8. Dave in KY

Nah, the other just landed with @BBS and I'll probably be done before him because he's more thorough than I am.

9. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Ha yeah… EM Physician. I’m seeing a bunch of COVID where I live in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave in KY likes this.
  10. Dave in KY

Good to know. It's Flaring up everywhere. Hang in there!!

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yeah, he got it the 22nd so he should be close to wrap-up with it. Of course personally I wouldn't blame him if he took a few more extra days because that thing shaves so wonderfully!

hins2jw0, twhite and Dave in KY like this.
  12. Dave in KY

I guess I haven't watched close. Just excited to give either a whirl. If both together it'll just be more interesting.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll try to get to using injector again either today or tomorrow. I really haven't been shaving as much because of a torn bicep. Happens to be on my dominant arm and hand side I use to shave.

Dave in KY and Lancre like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

Ouch. Hate to hear that! Those hurt! Hoping for a quick healing and recovery!

Dave in KY likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It isn't painful actually just gets really sore when I do stuff that uses fine motor control for the hand like holding a razor and controlling the pressure. It has mostly reattached but still isn't fully healed yet.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

2nd shave in. Same adjustment setting a half turn from where the handle bottoms out and the same Personna blade as the last shave. The razor is more than efficient enough at this setting for me with this blade. One con with this razor is it just will not shave directly under the nose on a WTG pass. The angle of attack is too shallow to get any blade on the face in that spot even with skin stretching. You can whittle at it on other passes but the only pass sufficient to shave that area is going ATG. End result BBS finish achieved.

If you are used to injectors then it won't be an issue using this razor as long as you adhere to riding the cap and keeping the pressure to a minimum. If you don't you will gash yourself sooner or later since you can get full blade contact like a shavette if you press too hard. If you are familiar with shavettes then you'll know right away what type of pressure is needed without looking like the guy from the movie airplane who tries to shave while they are making an emergency landing. If you are a DE guy who has no to little experience with SE razors if you stay to WTG pass shaves you'll be okay. Venture in ATG or XTG passes expect to be cut and possibly gashed if you are razor to the face masher.

I could do more shaves but it already cleared my shave bar so no need to do any more shaves from a testing standpoint. The razor is something I would buy if it sold commercially from a performance standpoint but from an overall package standpoint it still would need some refinement like figuring out how to make the spring permanently attached to one of the plates and make it easier to take apart and put back together when loading a blade since the metal tends to stick.

PM will be sent shortly to the next victim err I mean participant and on it's way it goes.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  17. IAmTheJody

Not something I was able to experience as I keep a mustache but makes sense. I can see that being an issue.

twhite likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tarmax injector is in the mail and on it's way to @Dave in KY

Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Dave in KY

Injector showing Tuesday arrival. No word on the Gem Version yet.......

IAmTheJody and twhite like this.
  20. Dave in KY

The Tarmax Injector has landed. Not heard any more about the Tarmex SE from Josh @hins2jw0 I noticed the Injector bottoms out at * instead of 1 as the spring must be somewhat compressed now. No problem and hoping to shave tomorrow with it.
    IMG_20211004_203218469_HDR.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.