Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Looks like I’m late to this party. Any Solidteknics fans? I have two pieces and have used them with gas and induction.
    52B7DC3F-8FBC-45F2-9623-CA9240C4BEFF.jpeg
    EB58D8F7-7CFE-4537-8088-1828805C1A91.jpeg

battle.munky, gorgo2, b1hart and 3 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sunday pot roast cooked in enameled cast iron Dutch oven.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Love Staub.

battle.munky and jluc like this.
  4. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

How about TYO Skriddle? The jury is still out on this one. It had fairly sharp edges, so needed a lot of deburring. Plus the seasoning isn’t taking as well as the Solidtecknics.
    44A69E6B-AEA4-41EF-A02C-D36ADB0CACB4.jpeg

5. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Amazing, Jim!!

battle.munky and jluc like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Chile and cornbread (low carb) cooked in cast iron.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

b1hart, battle.munky, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The other day at the local apartment dump site, I found yet another cast iron. A big heavy 12" Lodge, about 3" deep, the one with the main handle and the little grip on the opposite side. Looks like it was used once and whatever was in it was allowed to burn to carbon, so cleanup should be simple. Do I need another one? Noooo...but can't let it go to waste. I'll find a use for it.

b1hart, battle.munky, OldSaw and 4 others like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@gorgo2 that’s a good find. If you can’t use it yourself, you can always pass it along to someone else (friend, relative, etc) who will use it.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I made a Dutch Baby pancake for lunch. It’s sort of a second cousin to a crepe. First time I have made this & it came out pretty good, though I would give it a little more time in the oven, next time.

AC760980-9000-4F3E-8095-AE46AD70D8ED.jpeg

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That came out really nice. Better than the last one I made

battle.munky and Sara-s like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks @richgem What problem did you have with yours?

battle.munky likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It didn't climb the sides of the pan as nicely and the bottom had bubbles in it. Still tasted good though.

battle.munky likes this.
  13. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Dutch baby, Dutch baby there on the sand
    From July until the end of September…

Sara-s likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

FTFY

OldSaw, battle.munky and richgem like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An RN came to the house early this morning to draw blood. Nice lady so I asked if she wanted the big skillet--she was thrilled, "This is bigger than the one I fry chicken with now!"

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@gorgo2 that was a fine idea! Salvaged a perfectly good pan instead of letting it end up in a landfill, and showed appreciation to a deserving person. I bet she will use it well & often.

battle.munky, IAmTheJody and gorgo2 like this.
  17. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

IMG_20210930_222859_420.jpg I do most of my cooking with stainless, but these do see some use. Love the dutch oven for stews and the small Lodge is great for eggs. I kind of want to buy a 12" Lodge, but i have a few 11" skillets in stainless, so i don't know if i would really need one. Maybe for self defence? :D

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Have you had any scratching issues with cast iron on that cooktop? I have a brand new, in March anyway, induction cooktop and I’m reluctant to put cast iron on it, except for my enameled Staub cookware.

battle.munky and MrDaniel's like this.
  19. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any scratches yet, but the stove is just a few months old.

battle.munky and OldSaw like this.
  20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

9AEB9E90-2358-4B9D-AEDF-0945995EE5AE.jpeg

12” Lodge Skillet Breakfast today. Eggs, bacon, onion, garlic, 1/2 sweet potato, sweet peppers, TexMex cheese mix. Precooked the bacon, potato & onions (each separately in the pan). Put all together, followed by 8 minutes on the stovetop, 8 minutes in the convection oven to get it toasted a bit.