Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

IMG_20211002_154918_122.jpg Not sure what I should call these, perhaps a very weird version of finnish lihapiirakka. The dough was not ideal for this application, but still tasted good enough for me.

2. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

That picture actually made me hungry.

b1hart likes this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The keto cornbread I made came out so good I decided to do it again but this time with cut up hotdogs mixed in. I can't remember the last time I had an actual corndog so this was a welcome substitute.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. MrDaniel's

Looks good, I might have to try something similar.

jluc likes this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

It came out really tasty! The only thing I'll do differently next time is more hotdogs. It looked like I had a bunch but they seemed a little sparse in the final product.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  6. MrDaniel's

I'll keep that in mind! I haven't made even regular cornbread ever. I think I'll try that first. Might have to do it in my stainless skillet, my lodge is too small.

jluc likes this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I used a 10" skillet, which is what the recipe recommends the first time I made it. With the addition of the hotdogs I went with a 12" skillet this time around.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  8. MrDaniel's

Good to know! I guess my 11" stainless skillet would be fine.
    But then again, just over a mile or so away is a store where I could buy a 12" Lodge.. Just out of interest, how much do those cost over there? Here they are just under 40€.

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

$27.95 directly from Lodge.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  10. MrDaniel's

A lot cheaper then, which isn't a surprise. I guess the 40€ pricetag isn't too bad considering all the shipping costs. I'll look around if I could find a used finnish one, if I can't, I might have to get the lodge. New finnish cast iron (made by fiskars) is a lot more expensive and enameled.

jluc likes this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I just googled Fiskars. Beautiful skillet.

MrDaniel's likes this.
  12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

:thanks:

It lasted all day between wifey and I, gone completely though by dinner.

Now that's a great idea! It's Texas State Fair time in DFW. I'll have to see if this can get close to a Fletcher's fresh cooked corny dog......

IAmTheJody, DrStrange and jluc like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I made another Dutch Baby pancake today. Last time, was a weekday & my husband was at work. So today, we made one together, along with bacon on the griddle.

My husband was fascinated with the way the pancake crawls up the sides of the pan.

OldSaw, richgem, jluc and 3 others like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

If you haven't tried it yet, after it's cooked, give it a light dusting of table sugar and a good spritz of lemon juice. Yummy.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I haven't tried that. Today we had it with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.

16. richgem

:drool:

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@richgem I was wondering about the pan you use to make the Dutch Baby. Mine has curved sides. Does yours have curved sides or straight ones? I don't know, but can't help wondering if that affects the way it crawls up the sides of the pan.

18. richgem

That seems like a logical deduction. Mine has straight sides. Now I'll have to experiment.

Sara-s likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Cube steaks......... [​IMG]

Sent from my cp3648AT using Tapatalk

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member