Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Hey Scott! I am very happy to see you over here!

2. Batmang

Batmang New Member

Chris-
    I just found this article and am floored by your collection. The razors gleam as if they came right out of the factory. If I want to keep my Gillettes clean and shiny, what kind of polish should I use?

Thanks for the tour,

Nathan

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Hi Nathan, glad you enjoyed the collection.

For daily cleaning and for gold razors a light scrub with an old toothbrush and some dish soap takes the light soap scum off.

For a more detailed cleaning scrubbing bubbles works wonders with nickel finishes and heavy soap scum. Spray on, let it soak for a few minutes and then scrub lightly with the toothbrush.

For reviving razors from the dead, badly gunked up and tarnished, I do a good 10 minute boil and polish with NevRDull, but I've heard that Maas and Brasso work well also. This last process shouldn't be used on gold plated razors as the boil will take off the protective lacquer coat.

4. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Will the real Rocketman please stand up!

Wow Chris - I am humbled.:o Very nice collection. I am contemplating correcting my name to RocketBoy!

I have a question about the 1940's made English Rocket. I am in Canada and mine is likely a common version. I am wondering what the handle is made of though. Is it solid? Is it plated? With what? I want to clean it up more as it is slightly greyish. If it isn't plated I may get a little vigorous with the scrubbing. If it is, then....

Any suggestions for giving it that Rocket Shine would be greatly appreciated.

RocketBoy?

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Rocketboy? :happy102

Your Rocket, unless it is the rare aluminum model, would be nickel plate over a brass (copper on some Rocket parts) base metal. The plating is fairly tough even though it is on the thin side and should shine right up. A good 10 minute soak in scubbing bubbles and a scrub with a soft toothbrush should put a shine on that razor. Otherwise some elbow grease and metal polish will make it sparkle.

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I like the cut of yer jib son!

No seriously, thanx for the info - and it is all good! I am looking forward to polishing it up. I have never seen scrubbing bubbles for sale in Canada but I will look into whether I can come up with a similar product.

I can find brasso though - so I shall try some of that for a final buffing at any rate.

thnx again!

ps - I had my first shave with a real badger today (I am notoriously cheap and have been using a Wal Mart special for years) and it really was impressive! I dern near soaped myself right out of the bathroom there was so much luscious foam (I used T&H rosewater cream).

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Son! Now wait who's the boy here? ;)

Here's what Scrubbing Bubbles and NevRDull look like.

[​IMG]

It may be sold under a different name up north. I'd be careful with the Brasso. I've heard its not the mildest stuff out there.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

And is the razor free with purchase at participating retailers? ;)

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yep. Sorry I cleaned them out of those though. ;)

The Toggle and case was for a different thread way, way back.

10. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Wanna sell the case?:D

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'll trade you a chrome Toggle for it!

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Off to the cleaning aisle!

Thanx for taking the time for that Chris. I think those Scrubbing Bubbles look familiar gawl dern it!! I am going to go out hunting for a can. If that one ain't in the stores I can likely come up with a similar product - thnx!! I will hunt around for the polish too, that is great.

Thank you also for the caution on the Brasso - I remember my dad used to use it on anything years ago. I know it does work wonders on brass. I probably would have just start rubbin and scrubbin without any thought to causing damage - so thanx again! I can't wreck the darn thing now - I am so close to having it look good.

That travel case looks really smart with the toggle in it. I need something to aspire to anyway so I will redifine my initial envy and jealousy and call it merely hope and desire!

take care
    RocketBoy

13. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Here is my meagre offering.:D

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

very clean! good job!

it almost looks aluminum it is so clean - is it a nickel one?

15. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Yes it is nickel.;)

16. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well I shall use your photo as my guidepost!

I have just picked up some Scrubbing Bubbles but it is kind of different than the one in the pic. Most of the Canadian ones are in spray bottles and only one seems to come in a pressure can - it is called a shower spray. I think it is probably pretty close so I will use that.

I don't think though that mine is dirty with soap scum. I cleaned it before with a toothbrush and good dish soap. But, it remains dull so I shall foam the lil bugger right up!

I can't seem to locate the polish product above. Only Brasso seems to be around - and a few weird looking snake oil type items. Hmmm

17. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Not to hijack the thread but your Toggle set is really sweet Chris!
    Have you shaved with the Toggle yet.. I've heard good things about it.
    I personally haven't bought a vintage razor in quite some time but I might just start looking for a Toggle in the near future :D

18. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Yea, Chris is depriving my chrome toggle of a home:happy102

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Just don't try to fix a broken one... Not worth it.

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I take it for a spin every once in awhile. I usually get great shaves from it and the other similar razors (red dot fat boy prototype and 195), I just have to remind myself not to use the toggle as a lever and keep the pressure to a minimum. :eek:

Hey my case needs an occupant and as soon as I trade or sell it I'll have a lead on a chrome Toggle. You know how these things work. ;)