Gillette Aristocrat that shaves like Gillette Tech?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jhona, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Jhona

Jhona New Member

Hey guys! Just wanted to ask does the Gillette Aristocrats 1946-47 shave the same as a Gilltte Tech? I bought a Gilette travel tech circa 1966 i believe and I love how mild and efficient it is. However I would like aTTO Gilette specifically an aristocrat that shaves similarly. I have an Aristocrat 1948-1949 but I'm looking for something milder. I heard that the 1946-1947 are milder than the one I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of my tech for reference.

brit likes this.
  2. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends which Aristocrats we are talking about. The American 46 - 48 Aristocrats are mild but very efficient much better razor than any 3pc Tech. If you want to go to British Aristocrats then the 4th gen ones are more akin to a 3pc Tech but will cost you considerably more in most cases than a 46 - 48 American Aristocrat.

And to your last question yes the American 46 - 48 Aristocrats are milder but more efficient and overall a better shaver from my experience that an any 48 - 51 American Aristocrat.

brit and Jhona like this.
  4. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Thanks, BBS! Interesting....

5. Jhona

Jhona New Member

Thank you for the response! I bought an Aristocrat 1948-50 and I like it but I liked the mildness of my tech and felt that it actually shaved better than my Aristocrat while still being mild.

brit likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    brit and Jhona like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As much as I like WW II Tech razors, Aristocrats will always give me slightly better shaves. Having the extra weight helps. Of course, as @PLANofMAN mentioned, getting a heavier handle helps. I did that with one of my WW II techs and it shaves great, even better.

brit likes this.
  8. Jhona

Jhona New Member

Is there any Gilette TTO that shaves like a Tech specifically post war tech?

9. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Tech is always a better shaver than Aristocrat 1948-50 You don't need to downgrade.

brit likes this.
  10. Jhona

Jhona New Member

Which tech is your favorite? The only tech i have is 1966 travel tech but I changed out the handle.

brit likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The milder post war tech? Yes, most of them. Any 60's era super speed onwards until they were discontinued in the 1990's. The long handled Lady Gillette razors, and the adjustables.

Virtually all Gillette (American) twist to open razors are built around the Tech's baseplate design. But, because they are all twist to open razors, the 'top cap' (hinged doors) will have a slightly thicker or higher feel than a three piece tech.

The shave will be comparable in closeness and comfort to a tech, but it will 'feel' different due to slight changes in thickness, balance, and weight.

Jhona, jmudrick and brit like this.