Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Maybe, but with the way you hit the auctions, you're depriving everybody else of razors period. :D

Hobgoblin likes this.
  2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Scott you've been ZINGED by a Simian!

Good one Rick. :happy102

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Dang that Scrubbing Bubbles works!

You were dead right about the Scrubbing Bubbles product. The nickel on the handle just turned from lifeless and dull grey to a wonderful lustrous nickel plating. thnx

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Glad it worked out for you. I must admit I resisted using this stuff for months after it had been recommended and consequently made a whole lot more work for myself than needed. It's really good stuff for metal and bathrooms that I think uses a dilute acid solution to eat away the tarnish and shine things up. A heads up it can darken aluminum if left to soak for a long time, >10 minutes or so.

5. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I must say, excellent post! Very thoughtful, well laid out, with excellent photos.

Kudos.

J

6. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Chris.. here's a photo of my American Rocket which came in this Milord Case.
    Any chase the American Rocket is an offspring of a Milord? Perhaps the previous owner replaced his Milord with this?
    Luckily this Rocket has about 98% of Gold still intact.. just a minor minor smig gone on the a corner door. Also says Patent Pending.
    Did I already say this thread is really amazing?

Attached Files:

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Thanks for chiming in here about the 2nd known American Rocket Scott. Yours has no date code?

My theories on these, and that's all they are, is that these were made with parts shipped over from England to be inspected at the American Gillette plant as Gillette England was just getting back on it's feet after the war and transitioning to a single side plate instead of the split ones of earlier origin. Perhaps they designed and perfected the unique English TTO design right here in America? Maybe as the US plant was starting to notch the safety bars they coordinated with the British plant here? Who knows?

The time line seems right. With no date codes these would be 1947-1950ish in origin. I know the un notched #48 made in England with the US type action was for sale in 1948, perhaps earlier.

8. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Thanks for the information Chris! Yea.. this one has doesn't have a date code either.
    Also.. I have an English Rocket which looks identical to this American Rocket with the exception of a solid TTO knob.. but haven't seen one in it's proper case.. any idea of which case it might belong too?

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It should be the one in the first picture of this thread.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The gold Rocket belongs in the same case as the nickel Rocket? That is what I have mine in, but I didn't know that was actually right.

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I was referring to the normal nickel Rocket. I don't think I've seen a cased 40's gold Rocket...yet.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Now I see what Rodd was getting at. You have two gold Rockets Scott? One American and one English? NICE!

13. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

and so the mystery continues!!

14. tanto

tanto New Member

Very good shaver for $4. It's a Rocket, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yes it sure is. One of the best deals that I'm aware of also! Nice.

16. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Here ya go Chris!

The Rocket on the left is American and the one on the right is British.
    You can see they're almost identical except for a few minor things...
    1. The American handle looks like it's slightly thicker and is of two-piece construction.
    2. The American TTO knob is hollow unlike the British being solid.
    3. The notching (gap) on the American is slightly larger.

Other than that they're pretty darn similar including patent pending inside the head.

Attached Files:

17. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

very interesting. I´m missing this beauty in my collection :(

18. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

which one are you missing Achim, the American or the British?

19. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Here's a few more pictures of the American Rocket..
    Chris, does yours have the same stamping info on and under the head?

Attached Files:

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It does Scott. Nice!