Injector and SE Shaves

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 16, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Clark Improved King, CVS carbon steel blade, shave 1
    [​IMG]

First off I have to preface this with that picture is of @twhite razor he graciously lent me to try awhile back. I don't have a newer picture to use right now. When I tried this razor out originally I made the then mistake of praising it for being one of the best razors I've used and as such an around $20 razor if it even sold all of a sudden was in demand on ebay when they came up for sale which was not often to begin with. Took me at least a year and having to pay in the $40 range for one before I could finally acquire one. Finally got around to using it and it still holds up to my original assessement as a top tier razor period. This razor is akin to the Clog Pruf MKII version with the extra teeth on the guard but more efficient. End result BBS finish achieved.

brit, Ron R, Dave in KY and 6 others like this.
  2. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Mon 4th October

The Grosvenor 404 mixed
    Lea Classic soap
    Yaqi Raster V2 + EJ 89 handle
    Feather Proguard [ 1 ]
    Lea Classic A/S Lotion

A trial run with this Razor/ Blade combo to test for short trip away. The EJ handle was a perfect fit to the screw thread, and provided a good balance to the head.Overall very pleased with the quality of the finished Shave. This little Yaqi SE is an excellent budget AC/SE, and well worth acquiring one.

IMG_1717.jpg

brit, Dave in KY, Electrif and 5 others like this.
  3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I recently realized that the handle of my Ever-Ready 1914 would fit my Lather Catchers. What a wonderful discovery. I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner.

IMG_04102021_085138_(1150_x_1150_pixel).jpg

brit, Dave in KY, Tdmsu and 7 others like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, OCtober 4th, 2021

Razor: Gem Damaskeene OC- Mfg 1912-15, nice tame mid range, amazing quality for that time period, this razor built the Gem Mfg company up into A.S.R. Corp eventually and became very large with a umbrella of different brand name products.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: (IB)Razorock Amici, nice mild citrus & herp scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Boar brush, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles tips, nice scrubber + good lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: (IB)Razorock Amici aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene OC with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some excellent shaves!

brit, Dave in KY, Tdmsu and 7 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have to agree with your conclusion of being a a excellent AC SE budget razor. Yaqi is calling it still the Excalibur AC SE razor but in Australia they call it the Raster V2 & V3 models seems confusing to me. I just received my Yaqi Excalibur V2 and I also have V1 and they are just great . I just ordered some Schick Proline P30 blades because Feather blades don't seem to last very long even if they a sharp & smooth. My limited research into the Schick Proline p30 they are Sharp & smooth with good longevity.

MPF9 and GAW9576 like this.
  6. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Tue 5th October

Cyril Salter / MS. ED2band
    Vitos Super Red
    Occams Oren
    Kai CT Mild Pink [ 1 ]
    Tuff Red A/S Lotion
    Another trial on a Travel Razor. With the Kai blade the Oren feels quite aggressive after the Raster / Feather Proguard. In fact the Shave was over quicker and the finish on the ultra close side. Maybe change blades between theTwo Razors before I make a final decision.

IMG_1718.jpg

jimjo1031, brit, Jayaruh and 6 others like this.
  7. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Tuesday 5th October
    Yaqi Heavy Metal - OSP Urban Viking - GEM Damaskeene - GEM Stainless Coated #7 - Brut Attraction Totale A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
    [​IMG]

8. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Monday October 4, 2021
    Razor: E2 Injector
    Blade: sCHick
    Brush: Unbranded Burma Shave Boar
    Soap: Shannon Soaps Lavender Lemongrass
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: CHH Tobacco
    Fragrance: Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,062

IMG_20211003_180550553_HDR.jpg
    Tuesday October 5, 2021
    Razor: IN Tarmax by Twhite
    Blade: sChick
    Brush: Fluffy Industries Copper
    Soap: Tabac
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: CHH Tobacco
    Fragrance: Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,063

Clearly I am failing at Open Combs for OCtober due to trial razors coming in to play with but will get to some soon as I can. Have a great day Everyone !!!

IMG_20211005_053558003_HDR.jpg

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, OCtober 5th 2021

Razor: GEM Micromatic OC bump less model- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid range, designed & built to last generations, this razor helped Gem Mfg get through the dirty 30's + first mass produced TTO & 3 or 4 years ahead of the Gillette TTO models.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable. Gem Personna Proprietary steel formula is better than any of the other SE blades for edge retention, longevity + cost per shave IMO.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici, nice mild citrus scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola Synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter & precision painting brush, also not a lather hog.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with Gem MMOC bump less model with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031, brit, IAmTheJody and 5 others like this.
  10. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Wed 6th October

The Grosvenor [ 404 mixed]
    HampshireWool Fat
    Occams Oren
    Feather Proguard [ 2 ]
    Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion.

What a difference today as I switched blades in the Oren, as yesterday it felt too aggressive for Travel Shaves with a Kai Pink on board. Today with the Proguard it was smooth and comfortable, yet without problems I got a really good close all round Shave. Was a much nicer and quicker Shave than the one I had with The Raster/ Proguard two days ago. Decision made I am using the Oren as my Travel Razor for the next week.

IMG_1720.jpg

jimjo1031, brit, Ron R and 4 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos211006.JPG
    Williams Wednesday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Williams Mug Soap
    Jayaruh #206 2-band badger
    AutoStrop A1
    Personna GEM SS PTFE
    CWR
    Pinaud Vanilla AS

The Williams Mug Soap lathered well with Jayaruh #206 two-band Badger. Two passes and touch ups with the AutoStrop A1 with a Personna GEM SS PTFE gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Vanilla After Shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

MPF9, jimjo1031, brit and 6 others like this.
  12. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Tonight was my first time using a Dehaven razor which I acquired through some trading with a friend. I had the half Astra SP set a bit too far forward at first so it was very aggressive. I fixed that about half way through the shave. I look forward to improving my technique with this razor because in general I really like open comb razors.

IMG_06102021_203416_(1200_x_1200_pixel).jpg IMG_06102021_203346_(1008_x_1008_pixel).jpg IMG_06102021_203149_(1450_x_970_pixel).jpg

Jayaruh, MPF9, jimjo1031 and 7 others like this.
  13. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

My first shave with a GEM razor went terribly wrong. I used a newly acquired GEM Featherweight and a Ted Pella PTFE blade. The equipment was fine but the user was an overconfident dummy. It started fine but navigating the chin amd neck proved to be beyond my much limited technique. I was a bloody mess when all was said and done. Using the alum stick was literally painful and I doubt I’ll be shaving for several days. I was trying to keep a steep angle and ride the cap but I think my lather was sticky because the flat razor head didn’t want to glide smoothly. It may not fix anything but I’ve ordered some better soap to see what I can do about the lather. I will heal and try again. I’m not giving up that easily.

jimjo1031, Tedolph, GAW9576 and 5 others like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Same happened with me when I first tried a Gem SE razor, about 11ish years ago. Ate me alive! Fast forward after 11ish years of shaving with DE and injector razors and trying the SE razors again and now they are my favorites. Patience and experience. You got this!

SRQShaver, jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  15. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Thursday 7th October
    Yaqi Moka Express - Wickham 1912 Apricus - Ever Ready 1912 [​IMG] - GEM Stainless Coated #8 - Blue Stratos A/S - Wickham Apricus ASB
    [​IMG]

MPF9, jimjo1031, Tedolph and 6 others like this.
  16. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Thanks! I know it was all my fault and I think I've learned my lesson. I'm actually looking forward to my next shave with that razor now.

GAW9576 and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Oct 7th 2021

Razor: Yaqi v2 Excalibur 50mm AC SE- Mfg 2021> excellent tame mid range, good design, affordable & very enjoyable IMO.
    Blade: Feather AC SE 50mm(4) sharp & smooth with some longevity.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood cream, Very nice sent with excellent lather qualities. Good deal for what you get.
    Brush : Razorock Noir 400 black whiskers, excellent lather generator, soft tips, excellent scrubber + great lather painter. Reminds me of my boar brushes and that are great to use.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Proraso red AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion balm(excellent + scentless)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur with Feather AC blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

MPF9, SRQShaver, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  18. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

This Schick G is one of the razors that drew me to The Shave Den. I stumbled upon BBS's wonderful guide to Schick Injectors. I now know much more about my recently acquired G, J, and M injectors. I used a sChick blade that now has 8 shaves on it. As much as I am enjoying this beautiful Art Deco razor, I am anxious to try the M, which happens to be a birth year razor (close enough).

IMG_20211007_200252721.jpg

MPF9, SRQShaver, jimjo1031 and 7 others like this.
  19. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

The photography and lighting are superb!

Oh yeah, the kit is nice too.

Electrif and GAW9576 like this.
  20. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

How do you like that Omega boar brush? I am thinking about getting another brush with a modern style. I have narrowed things down to between that one and the "S" synthetic version.

GAW9576 likes this.