What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just Pressed the Buy it Now Button on this Japanese Natural Stone ( Aiwatani ) with Nagura...Got it at a Real Good Price from a Well Known UK Seller..The Vendor he Got it from Some of the Boys in the USA will Recognize..I Am Intending Using it Purely as a Finisher Coming Off a High Grit Synthetic..The Seller Said its User Friendly..May Get it Tomorrow.. @Steve56 or @TestDepth Will Know about these Stones Better than Me..;)

:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice looking stone Billy! Aiiwatani are often soldas/confused with Nakayama, so it’s likely a great stone, congratulations. That tomo looks sweet too

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would have guessed a Nakayama, is you hadnt said so. Did he say if it wasasoft, med, or hard stone?? Anything else about the finishing rating??
    Billy Billy Billy. @Steve56 is taking you down the JNAT Rabbit Hole, with him. Well, it was nice knowing you.

Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

upload_2021-10-8_21-7-39.jpeg
    Steve..:eatdrink047:

Billy..:chores016:

jgreenepa, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Come on in the rabbit hole Billy, the stones are fine, lol.

My latest is a ‘chocolate’ kiita, and it occurred to me that I have a ‘chocolate’ tomo. So of course I had to try out the combo, the red-scaled Filly got a touch up, 8k Shapton HC followed by the chocolate kiita and tomo.

7E441243-6E0D-47C7-9148-7B9226D17FB4.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Rain, work and being left alone led me to play with rocks…
    Finished the 3rd of 3 W&Bs and this L.H. Wilson & Son, also out of Sheffield.
    A7D3113D-0A67-47CB-BEBE-1EABB2E8BBA1.jpeg
    pretty easy progression through the Suehiro 1k, then 6k, ending on the Coticule.

Then Billy’s post got me to pull out a stone I haven’t used in a few years… this Nakayama.
    Sold back in the day as a Nakayama Namito Kiita Sumanagashi. Namito being the strata layer, Kiita the color and Sumanagashi the pattern… and it looks beautiful to me. :)

Took the recent Filarmonica 13 to it for a finish.
    407C3BA2-AF59-4809-AF91-27E242ED436E.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve been tinkering with a couple of razors in the ‘scale pail’ users mostly bought for the scales, but some are still sound razors in spite of the various insults that 150 years or so have thrown at them. The ‘celluloid’ scales on th Wade and Butcher are particularly nice, and the Brookes and Crookes is a finely made razor indeed. It might get an all-expense paid trip to Chez Alfredo to see how it turns out - pretty well I’d bet.

The B&C honed like a dream even after cleanup, Shapton 2k HR, 6k HC, JNat finisher and silent HHT. The W&B had a couple of little rust pits on the bevel, so a mellow 325 DMT followed by the same sequence produced the edge. Fortunately the W&B has plenty of belly to accommodate a little bit of metal removal. It didn’t quite HHT the way I’d like but I cannot see anything wrong with the edge, so I’m going to test shave and evaluate what if anything is needed.

12F52F46-C4D3-4572-A38D-F3642DE06C80.jpeg

8. TestDepth

The “scale pail” delivers! I love the feel of those Sheffield “hollow ground” blades.

Billyfergie, jgreenepa and Steve56 like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Tom, I also like good Sheffield steel. Finding it isn’t always easy though, or cheap!

Billyfergie, TestDepth and jgreenepa like this.
  10. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My new Koraat 7:8 of near wedge and a joy to shave with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56, lottenhem, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  11. TestDepth

Took the latest project, the Burrell Cutlery Top Flight, to the hones. Suehiro 1k, then 6k, and finished up with the pictured Nakayama.

The razor required a little gymnastics, rolling X coming towards and taking it off the side of the hone going away. I think you can catch the thinner bevel in the middle because of it.

9E6D4171-9D68-474C-87D0-8710E4C340DE.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

lottenhem and DaltonGang like this.
  12. DaltonGang

That turned out to be a beautiful razor. Well done. :happy088::happy088:

lottenhem, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  13. TestDepth

Thank you Scott.

14. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Three razors this evening,
    CVH MK No. 31
    EDV Neiström No. 62
    VACHA 3TB Russian razor, kindly translated by Andrey at AW.
    Took a different approach with Naniwa 3+5K and finished with JNAT 12K. The Russian was quite hard so there I started with Shapton 2K.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I like those green scales Tom!

TestDepth likes this.
  16. TestDepth

Thanks Steve!

17. TestDepth

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to get the “Slasher” up and running for Halloween week. :)

Two hardware store razors hit the hones… Suehiro 1k, then 6k, and finally some quality time with the pictured Nakayama.

Kept the Witte razor with pretty muddy slurry, but working it steadily. Changed it up and thinned out the slurry to almost water with the Slasher.
    17B0C05E-AFBA-47D0-A4EA-BD093C970B7B.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

lottenhem and DaltonGang like this.
  18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Chosera/Professional 1-5-10 onto a Nakayama with Kita slurry for a beautiful Haze /Kasumi finish

Had to correct for the 14.6° bevel angle with 3 layers of 700 3M bringing it to just at 16° that should hopefully fix the fast fading edge the owner sent it to me for..

[​IMG]

TestDepth, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve seen many of those ‘skinny’ bevels that won’t hold an edge Glenn. Did they not use their own product and know that the edge didn’t last more than 2-3 shaves, or wouldn’t even take an edge beyond 6-8k?

20. DaltonGang

Who is the maker, of that razor?