Essence by Tedalus

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Oct 26, 2020.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interestingly, and you are probably one of the few on the forum who know, the old 'Feather Professional' was very similar to the Schick Proline razor. The Feather DX and SS replaced it more than 20 years ago.

Edit: Both the Professional and the Proline razors were as close as a razor could be to a straight before the Essence. The Weck I still consider to be more like a frame back straight razor than anything else.

jgreenepa, Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  2. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

You're right, the old Feather Professional was very similar. I'm getting really old ;)

[​IMG]

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

That is cool dude!

Are the scales the original?

jgreenepa and Hembree like this.
  4. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

yes they are, it also was made with the same scales as the DX

37780300zc.jpg

5. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone makes a clone of the DX. The closest options would be:

Greager/CJB (Feather RG clone) - non-folding, but you can slide the rubber grip off and pin scales onto it (no jimps though).
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/255044361118

Kai Captain clones
    Folding: https://shearsdirect.com/Folding-Razor-w-Pack-of-10-Blades-RF29_p_2899.html
    Non-folding: https://shearsdirect.com/Black-Straight-Razor-w-Pack-of-10-Blades-R29BK_p_2908.html
    **Both Kai clones are about $5-10 less from Aliexpress

I have all of the above, as well as a genuine Feather DX and Kai Captain. They all shave just as well as the genuine article, although the Kai clones have a bit more blade exposure.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    jgreenepa, Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Another quick shave in the books.

ProGuard blade on board Essence razor
    Dab of Derby Brushed up by Tuxedo
    Stirling Glacial Citron

The more I use this stuff the more I like it.

Loading and unloading the blade is especially nice with the magnetic mechanism.

A4CBD13D-1210-407B-B5E1-9903AA70E308.jpeg

jgreenepa, snuff and Hembree like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thank you, for this helpful post. I will look for a clone.

jgreenepa, rs_776 and Hembree like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1625802591896.JPEG
    Comparison shots between an Essence and an IBC. The Essence is what the IBC could have been, but they chose to go with zinc casting instead of machined stainless steel.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Having been part of the testing pass-around, here is my take. It is well-made and I especially like the magnetic connection between the 2 parts that hold the blade. It is secure, but still easy to use. For me, gripping a hinged razor just doesn’t work- too awkward when switching hands (a necessity for leg & underarm shaving) and reaching the back of my calves. But of course, that’s just me. Plenty of folks are comfortable with that grip.

If Tedalus makes a Kamisori style (straight handle) I would want to try it.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Plenty of Kamisori style shavettes out there. Feather, as well as some Feather knockoffs on Amazon and Ebay.

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

oops, didn't mean to hit "reply".

jgreenepa likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

@Sara-s , have you been watching the Archery in Tokyo? Remember we talked about broadcasting Archery? The current broadcasters don't do it, but they were forced to when someone scored a "6" yesterday. You can't ignore THAT.

jgreenepa likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I recorded it and am about to watch it now.

jgreenepa and Paul Turner like this.
  14. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Love my new Tedalus! It feels, handles and shaves like my good straights!
    4812CA2E-CCA0-4D57-A9B8-415EC8E2569A.jpeg

PLANofMAN, snuff and Edison Carter like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ^^^...when a review says all that needs to be said.

16. Edison Carter

Artist Club Saturday

Essence by Tedalus, Feather Pro Super (5)
    Razorock Hawk, Schick Proline (3)
    Stirling suds-n-stank, Dunshire flavored
    Omega boar brush

[​IMG]

Feather Pro Supers are wicked sharp on the first use and seldom need an encore. At 5 uses, I start thinking about fresh steel, I’ll push this one another day though. Took the lazy man clean up side to center on theneck with the Hawk for the perfect finish.

Keithmax, Manumik, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I finally put my money where my mouth is, and purchased an Essence.

I've made it no secret that I received one in thanks for my contributions to the razor's design in it's infancy. I like it enough that I saved up and actually purchased a second one as a back up, and as a collectible.

Keithmax, Manumik, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  18. Edison Carter

Maybe I should buy another just to keep up wither Jones’.

Nah, I’ll wait for the next run. Maybe it’ll get a cosmetic tweak. I could not ask for improvements.

I don’t have any Japanese kamisori style tools. That would get me for sure.

Keithmax, jgreenepa, Manumik and 2 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Congratulations, Ryan! I’m taking mine on vacation with me this Sunday! It truly is an awesome replaceable blade razor that shaves just like a wellxhoned straight!

20. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE New Member

I just got mine. After careful review and playing with opening and closing while inserting a blade I have come up with the following conclusions: First, worth every penny. The craftsmanship is second to none. Second, ingenious magnet system really holds the blade. It is everything all the other shavettes are not. Third, it feels like its part of your hand when you hold it. The longer tail adds a lot of stability of the razor in your hand. It addresses everything I don't like with my Feathers. I cannot say this is a shavette. I would call it a "Straitette". As close to a straight as you can get without being a straight. Comparing this to other shavettes is like comparing a VW to a Ferrari. I shave every day with my straights but I can see using this as a daily razor and forego the stropping and honing. Besides, it's magnificent to look at. A beautiful girl who can cook!

madmedic, Keithmax, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.