December 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Nov 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

DE / Decadent and Delightful Shaves December

Hi everyone! I want to thank you for being loyal to this thread by posting all the great shaves you had this month. Once again, congratulations to Barry @palmolive fox for completing a month long focus of his Parker 98 R. It was good to see @Terry stopping in to let us know what's going on with his life. Again, I pray for a quick recovery my friend. I want to acknowledge and welcome 2 new members and they are @Avalon and Eric @ewk. I support Joe's@JACarbone new avocation of restoring vintage razors. I had the privilege of seeing one in progress at this month's LI 30DC meeting. Great progress on that Genco razor my friend! We do miss Charlie's shenanigans @wristwatchb, but he has other things going on so please keep him and his wife Kathy in prayer.Ok, that's a recap of last month's events. Now on to the next phase.

Yes, it is DE/ Decadent and Delightful Shaves December and that means it is suggested that you shave with a DE razor, or you can use a decadent or a delightful shave setup. Of course, you don't have to follow this month's theme because it is your shave, you can do it your way.

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.

Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every comment, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect everymember. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!
    Let's have a group hug!
    upload_2021-11-30_22-46-1.png

Let's have a great month of shaves and continue to encourage each other because I want to keep this thread on a positive note.

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. brit

brit in a box

good morning gents..
    DEcember
    brit 4th gen Aristocrat
    platinum
    ap shave co tuxedo
    ach brito mogno
    mont blanc legend spirit

20211201_002927_edited.jpg

hello gents.
    am shave.aristocrat,
    fabulous.

2021-12-01 00.35.19.png

good morning.:sport001:

3. Trigger

Awesome shave and a great start for this month Gary! Your Aristocrat looks mint! Enjoy your day.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I opened this month the way I closed the last-a "back nine" of Clubman A.S. and Rocky Mtn. Barber shave cream (Barbershop.). These Rocky Mtn. pucks are tough to figure out-5 oz, but it doesn't LOOK like 5. But they're great. Full of nature, like being in the Rockies (hence the company name). I must have done better loading today, as the soap looked WHITE-course that's what you see with most creams anyway, right? It will probably look white the rest of the way. Fine with me. Two nice passes. At each pass, as I got down to Cactus, I would begin by doing the top center first, then the angles, then the rest of the center. (Recall I used to call it "Y Nation"). Great along the cheeks and sideburns. A red polka dot happened near the upper lip, but was handled well later by the Clubman. That was the only glitch of what I am proud to call an Outta This World Excellent Excellent shave. I'm also proud of my late fall/winter lineup, and will be adding a couple more in the upcoming days. I'm already thinking of an NB22, if I handle the 2022 Stoylin Tony's the right way,, as well as watch out for ay soaps to expire soon (as I said yesterday, duffnuts appear in 3 of 'em.) Happy December, friends!!

brit, stuartganis and Trigger like this.
  5. Trigger

Super shave and an awesome post Paul!

brit likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Thanks Joe....nice to get back to the "Outta" persuasion of shave life.

brit and Trigger like this.
  7. Trigger

Dec 1. SOTD

Good morning!

20211130_205719.jpg
    1959 Gillette Fatboy (setting 9)
    Rockwell DE Blade (2)
    Omega Pro 49 Boar Brush
    Proraso SS and AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 35 hrs.

I know it's cold outside, but it didn't stop me from using Proraso. I am now at the bottom of the tub and it is so much easier to load the brush fromit. The lather was so awesome because it was really slick and creamy. Proraso is great stuff in my opinion.
    I picked the Fatboy to start the month of DE December because I used it yesterday for my headshave and I kept it on the counter for today's shave. Two passes and I had a close comfortable shave without errors. I have always liked my Fatboy
    but these last two shaves really made me appreciate this razor much more.
    Did get a little feedback from the alum, but I am glad it wasn't an ouch moment.
    Finished the shave with the Dickinson's Witch Hazel and the Proraso Aftershave. I will be using the Proraso more frequently because I want to finish it off by the end of January. Well that is my first shave of this month. Have a good day.

8. Paul Turner

One of the PIF's I got from Doc Maestro has a bit of a "cool" feeling...the Yardley. I recently tried it and thought...."mmmmm...might be best for summer, but not in high humdity". More experimentation may well be needed on this. Get those "things that Burn Bunsens" ready for me :)

9. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger 89 / Polsilver Super Iridium
    Heritage Eveready 500E / Synthetic
    Razorock Don Donato [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

10. Trigger

Welcome Stuart!

Great setup and pics! That's a mint razor! Heritage Collection produces nice replicas of vintage brushes. I have a C-Mon brush from them. I found Polsilvers to be sharp and smooth. Looking forward to more of your posts this month. Enjoy your day!

brit, JACarbone and stuartganis like this.
  11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

B5DADE50-3DA3-4931-99CD-FE955C231159.jpeg

SRS # 602

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: C V Heljestrand 14. 7/8” Camel Bone Scales
    Brush: Opus Shaving Brushes “Underdog”
    Lather: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
    Aftershave: Stirling Weekend in Malibu
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original

Happy December! Chilly morning to start the day so I decided to go with a scent that would remind me of a warmer climate. Stirling’s Weekend in Malibu is scented with a piña colada vibe to my nose. It is definitely a reminder of having a frozen concoction on the beach with a little sunscreen scent mixed in.

I did my usual three pass shave. The results were fabulous. Once again, not irritation and silent alum report.

I have not decided on my month’s plan of attack. I am leaning towards returning to the 1508.5 Program with alternating between straight and DE shaves. Of course there will be a continuation of Micromatic Darkfall Mondays.

I hope you all have a great day gentlemen.

12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Well done Joe. Thank you for the shout out. I will make one correction. At our meetup I presented to you three razors that I will be restoring. They are the A. Witte Solace, Genco Register and the Geneva Cultery.
    The A. Witte razor is the one that has shown the progress with the 2500 grit sandpaper. I can see why you may have mixed up the razors. Not enough coffee :eatdrink013:

14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Welcome Stuart. Awesome shave this morning.

brit, Trigger and stuartganis like this.
  15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave Gary. It is always DEcember for you. :eatdrink047:

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sweedo/Proline B20, TARMAX SE/Gem PTFE. I find it a lot easier to use an injector blade in the Sweedo rather than snipping a DE to fit. Narrow angle of effectiveness but very much gets the job done [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent hardware Jeff

jmudrick, brit and Trigger like this.
  18. Trigger

You are welcome and thanks for the correction. Somehow, Genco stood out in my recollection. As far as needing more coffee, I think you nailed it.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  19. Trigger

Well done Jeff!

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe..:):eatdrink047:.you as well..

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.