SoS: December 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Nov 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Williams Wednesday

Williams Mug soap
    Certifyd brush
    Gillette Red Tip
    Wilkinson Sword blade
    Stirling unscented balm

[​IMG]

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 22 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72- Mfg 2021> Excellent mid range, excellent design for clamping and working under the nose.
    I mostly receive stellar results with almost any blade and a joy to use.
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (3) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
    Soap: Yaqi Malibu, 1st use, mild scent with great lather qualities.(misted)
    Brush: Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber + great painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my RR Lipo.72 with a Gillette Nacet blade.
    SOTD, Dec 1, 2021.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 20 others like this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger 89 / Polsilver Super Iridium
    Heritage Eveready 500E / Synthetic
    Razorock / Don Donato [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 20 others like this.
  4. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOD Wednesday December 1, 2021

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Shave Nation
    Pre shave: None
    Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Face WTG-XTG-ATG
    Head WTG:XTG-ATG
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Lotion: None
    Balm: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
    Have a great day!
    IMG_8271.jpg

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 18 others like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

138CAD24-60ED-4A20-8AE1-08CD8832E17F.jpeg
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 1, 2021

I thought I’d kick off December with the Barbasol Floating Head and the huge Edgar Allan Poe 8/8 stubtail. I’ve told the stubtail’s story before, but in a nutshell, this huge unsharpened 225 yr old, unused, NOS blade ended up along with another of similar vintage at a well-known razor restorationist’s shop, apparently taken in trade some years ago. The details weren’t memorable. The blade was imported at the latest in 1815 from Sheffield, England by the Richmond, Va. Mercantile firm of Ellis & Allan, in business from 1801 - 1824. John Allan, the stepfather of Edgar Allan Poe, was the American UK resident agent and partner with his friend, Richard Ellis, residing in the states. This is the rationale for the stubtail’s name.

After purchase, it was honed, not an insignificant undertaking on this huge full wedge of almost Bowie knife proportions, and dressed in bone scales with period brass pins, custom beehive washers, and fitted with an amber wedge. Although it looks unwieldy, it balances beautifully in hand, but given its size requires some careful handling during the two and a half pass mug shaving process. Despite these drawbacks, and the need for both hands on this hefty, huge blade during the last half pass of neck stubble flatblading cleanup, the result was a porcelain smooth mug.

Barbasol made two razors for a very short time in the early thirties, a floating head (BFH) and a non floating head (NFH), both with safety bars. The “floating” head refers to the way the cap appears to float over the guard with no visible means of support. The BFH was created as the “perfect” safety razor to overcome what Barbasol saw as a shortcoming in the design of the Gillette OC razors of that era where the blade lay flat on the OC safety bar. With that Gillette OC design only 50% of the edge is available to cut anything. With the BFH 100% of the blade was available. I was fortunate to be able to purchase a NOS BFH at the Shave Collectibles Show held in Cincinnati, OH back in October of 2019.

The BFH is without doubt the most efficient shaver in my vintage DE collection. The thing I always need to keep in mind when shaving with Madame Barbasol is that she is a very jealous lady who demands my full attention during use. Any lapse and she will definitely bite! I used to count the Ikon Tech and my 2011 Muhle R41 as my most efficient shavers, but that was before the BFH arrived in my den. I have since sold the Ikon Tech and am considering selling my 2011 R41. The BFH is just a spectacular shaver, and always leaves my dome very closely shaved. Madame Barbasol again in two ATG passes left me clean and velveteen from noggin to shoulders.

RAZOR: Edgar Allan Poe Stubtail 8/8 (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute fitted with 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

madmedic, BigD, Tim Spencer and 21 others like this.
  6. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Great setup and shave Jeff. I love my BFH for both its design and sheer ecciciency. Mine wasn't NOS but pretty clean when I picked it up in a CapeCod antique shop about 30 years ago, case and all. I've put some miles on it since then, but its one of my alltime favorites still. ;)

DSCF0007 - Edited (1).jpg

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They hold up really well, Conrad did a great job with the production. You're lucky to get the case, I've been looking for ages.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Jim! They are fabulous razors! It’s hands down, my most efficient DE, but also the one razor that I can’t ever put on automatic! :)

BigD, Ron R, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hi Friends,

hope everything is fine with all of you. I wanted to share my today’s shave with you.

Is it really the 1st December? Where has the year gone? Wow…

F260F2AC-EB85-434D-8D9D-027B81FB090F.jpeg
    Razor: GEM Damaskeene // Blade: GEM // Soap: MWS Poggio dei Pini // Brush: Nightdiver’s Honeystick // Aftershave: Witch Hazel & Pino Silvestre

Great shave. The Damaskeene is really more gentle and thoroughly than my 1912. I like it a lot. Gentle and smooth in two passes.

The soap smelled heavenly. The lather was a bit thin at first but if you work the lather a little bit it get‘s better. Skincare during the shave and after the shave are absolutely fantastic.

Today I was aware, that I’m a Synthetic Brush guy…it is so much easier to make a great lather with a Synthetic…at least for me.

At the end I used a healthy dose of Witch Hazel and directly after applying this, the Pino Silvestre came into play. WHAT A SCENT!!! I love it so much…

So, this is it for now.

Stay safe and healthy and enjoy your shaves.

Greetings
    Thorsten

madmedic, BigD, Tim Spencer and 21 others like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Are you using Boars exclusively this month, Dave?

clint64 and Dave in KY like this.
  11. jtspartan

December 1st
    Supply SE (2 dot) w Schick Proline
    APShave Silvertip Fan/MrEE LE '007'
    Fine American Blend- 3x milled puck & AS
    Thayers
    afhopj.jpg
    Started December off with the Supply. Such a smooth shaver with the Proline. The 2 Dot plate is just perfect for me. The 3 Dot is more efficient, but does lose some of the smoothness, imho. Inspired by @Primotenore to reach for the American Blend. It doesn't get the fave status for me as it does for others, but still a very pleasant scent. I don't have much in the den (if any...:signs002:) that I consider a better lather than these discontinued Fine tallow pucks from the Netherlands.
    Have a great day all!

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 21 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

I am a Floating Head fanboy as well, as you know Jeff. I do think the '13 R41 is a more aggressive feeling razor without the smooth FH glide, but you are right, it can and will bite!

jgreenepa and clint64 like this.
  13. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Jason, gonna try if my old brain can remember without slipping. Started over on DFS and I joined in......so far :)

jtspartan and clint64 like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Extra nice. :happy088:

clint64 and brit like this.
  15. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thursday 12.02.21 SOTD

[​IMG]

Pearl Flexi Adjustable V4 @4 / Polsilver Super Iridium
    Oumo 18 Master Series 26mm Lotus Manchuria SHD Badger
    Noble Otter Neon Sun Limited Edition Shaving Soap & Aftershave
    e

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 19 others like this.
  16. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thanks!

clint64 likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Aaaand as we come up to the first "Throwback Thursday" for the year's last month, here it is:

prep-Stoylin Liquid Soap Bodywash(Sharp Dressed Man)in shower
    shave-Barbasol Original*
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Yves St. Laurent Rive-Gauche Pour Homme**

madmedic, BigD, Tim Spencer and 13 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When I bought my first Barbasol razor, the how-to book wasn't included. This was many months ago at a local Dollar Tree.

jgreenepa and clint64 like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Any date on the instructions?

The first NFH based on the Conrad patent appears with Bakelite handle in January '34 as far as I can tell, just after the patent filing in late '33.. What we call the Floating Head Barbasol just referred to in ads as its "extra heavy razor", earliest mention I find is 1936. There is also the matter of the heavy NFH about which I couldn't tell you much. My version of the heavy NFH is unbranded. Ad here is from '37.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  20. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD : 2nd December 2021.

12.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Pomegranate & Apple Extract Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: APShave Co 24mm Cashmere Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Lather : Palmolive Classic Shave Cream.
    Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium. (D4)
    Razor: Parker 98r.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Cien Men X-Bolt ASL + Sensitive ASB.

Greetings,

Early morning shave,

Last outing of the Parker 98r/Super Max BDT to finish my focus on one razor trial.. The 98r has gave me acceptable comfortable shaves throughout the trial.
    I find with my experience of using parker razors you get the best from them with a steeper shaving angle than other DE razors...This may be off-putting for some people...All in all, it's been a love/hate rediscovering month for me using the super hefty efficient Parker 98r.. My only small gripe with the 98r has been the hefty barber pole handle which has been somewhat awkward, slippery and cumbersome to hold at times.. However, that said it's not a major issue as i can easily change the handle from another razor.

Once i got to grips with handle issue it gave me acceptable close error- free shaves....All of the Parker three piece models have the same razor head, as do the TTO models incidentally so in all fairness when purchasing a Parker razor your purely buying it for the design of the handle which all have a good heft to them.

Another acceptable 2 pass + pick ups close shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Cien Men Sensitive ASB.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

madmedic, BigD, AlfredoT and 18 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.