New King C. Gillette DE razor???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sunflake, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Anyone tried one yet? It’s about time Gillette offered a new DE razor. Just from the pics on their website it looks pretty good. Especially with his initials on the head! I’m giving it some thought if for no other reason than to own a new DE with a nod to KCG.

Attached Files:

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have not bought a new razor in quite some time. The head geometry on this one looks a lot like a Merkur design.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. Sunflake

Yes it does. Looks pretty good. I like the handle

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Sunflake

I’m also curious about the platinum coated blades. You can buy more KCG DE blades as well. But only in a 10 pack. My guess is they’re not better than Feather blades.

5. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I bought one off the Bay, never used it myself, and gave it to one of my nephews. I had previously given him a Gillette Tech and a Merkur 34c to learn how to DE shave. He states he likes the King C. Gillette better as it is slightly milder and smoother to shave with.

6. Sunflake

Makes sense. The head looks like a EJ de 89 Heck for 30$ I might just buy one to use.

Herm2502 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Is this razor made by Gillette or made for Gillette?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

The KCG is produced in China. The head design is similar to the R89, but has some differences. The handle is quite long and fat. I found it a touch more efficient than the Merkur 34C. Current pricing on Amazon is around $16.

The Gillette Heritage, only available on Amazon, has a D89 head made by Muhle, and a more classic handle designed in the US, but not produced in US.

The KCG blades are excellent, but quite expensive.

9. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

My experience has been identical. It is a solid razor with a mediocre handle. The KCG blades are my favorite. A near-perfect blend of sharp and smooth for my face.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Saw the razor and blades at Tatget and was curious. .
    I've slowed waaaaaay down on buying any new hardware.

11. Sunflake

The Gillette Heritage looks a lot like my 1930’s New Red and Black Deluxe. And the case reminds me of the 1953 President.

1BF83853-AD62-4716-8C57-A950F6B12366.jpeg C28A187D-4D2E-4A36-8E7B-2EAFD45BDB71.jpeg 93398C92-38CD-4A9A-990A-AAD184BDEA6D.jpeg

12. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

$16.99 on Amazon Prime + tax

13. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

+1

Ijustmissedthe50s and SRQShaver like this.
  14. Sunflake

The mediocre handle would be the KCG razor? I do think they should have put the monogrammed head on the heritage razor with the vintage case.

PLANofMAN and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. Sunflake

$6 for 10 blades is pricey for sure. I wonder how they compare to a feather?

16. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

To me, smoother than a Feather. They are made in Russia. To me they are comparable to Gillette Platinums or Nacets.

Shotwell, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Yes, the KCG razor available in stores. It's a long metal handle with shallow barber pole knurling and a rounded tip. It's really an odd style that I haven't ever seen elsewhere, likely because it's really not all that comfortable. As most have said and I agree though, the head itself is pretty good and I like the engraved KCG emblem.

Shotwell, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My brother in law did that to his.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

20. brit

brit in a box

i agree..the handle is quite uasable/functional so far.the grip on the handle suits folks with small hands or bigger due to the grip length and offers more weight and usability for folks that like longer handles..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and SRQShaver like this.