New King C. Gillette DE razor???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sunflake, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I have one in my collection. It's decent enough, but I'm not a fan of the barber pole knurling that only extends half way down the handle. If Gillette were to go back to the drawing board and give it knurling like what's on the PAA Ascension, have it extend down to the bottom of the handle, and flatten the end of said handle, I think it would be a great medium to mild shaver you can take with you into the shower.

Daywalker and ewk like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Better off buying the Platinums or Nacets in 100 packs for much cheaper.

brit, Michael_W and ewk like this.
  3. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Yes indeed! Nacets are my very favorite, and I have a 200 blade stockpile. I only used the 5 KCGs that came with the razor.

Michael_W likes this.
  4. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I bought a KCG shortly after they were released (because of course I couldn’t resist). My experience has been that it’s not terrible but not likely to be in my regular rotation. I thought the handle was both too long and a little too slick (kind of like a Jagger I own that is mostly smooth handled rather than knurled or engraved). Nice to see they are bringing out products to keep wet shaving and DE razors alive. But I think I’ll mostly stick with a few of my old favorites instead. Right now I’m loving my OneBlade, still using my 34C at least once a week, and I still have a soft spot (not in my head but in my heart) for my old pre-war fat handled tech.

brit and Michael_W like this.
  5. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

A friend gave me this modern Gillette DE. It is heavy and seems like it's built well. However I didn't expect an outstanding shave like some of my vintage and antique razors give. Well it gave me about what I expected. In the end it was a good finish on the shave with very little irritation. Although it took a heavy hand and 4 passes with LOTS and LOTS of buffing on the last pass. I did manage to get a few very minor weepers in spite of how mild this razor is. Probably do to the excessive buffing and pressure. It's a shame Gillette doesn't make razors like they used to. If they would have put a knirl like a bulldog handle it would have been much nicer.
    At least the vintage Williams lathered very easily with the Zenith Boar brush and the modern Aqua Velva decanted into a vintage glass bottle work great. I also used a splash of Lucky Tiger to tame the light irrigation before the Aqua Velva. The razor is a nice gift but I guess I'm a bit spoiled with the performance and quality of much older razors.

IMG_23122021_172740_(1100_x_1099_pixel).jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.