SoS: December 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Nov 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

That setup is beyond cool!!!

Hembree, clint64 and BigD like this.
  2. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Sunday 12.12.21 SOTD

[​IMG]
    Stando “Rod” SE / Feather Professional
    Butterscotch Opal 20mm SHD Boti 3 Band Finest
    Noble Otter Firefighter Limited Edition Shave Soap & AS

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Just a while ago, I wrote in the other thread that tomorrow's shave was going to be a gametime decision. Well, I just decided-and it isn't tomorrow yet!! Here it is for Sunday:

prep-Stoylin Liquid Bodywash (Mtn. Man)in shower
    shave-Stoylin Oro Valley
    brush-Jayaruh #59
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Razorock Puros
    Cologne-Swiss Arabian (Mutamayez)

madmedic, jimjo1031, ram57 and 16 others like this.
  4. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

#sotd
    W&B Sheffield
    Near wedge in camel bone with onyx wedge
    Heirloom Razor Strop Co. Notovan
    Omega Boar 10098
    The Club Poison Hemlock soap and splash
    A&E Rice Serum unscented
    [​IMG]

5. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD : 12th December 2021.

18.jpg

Shaving Recipe For the day.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Transparent Soap.
    Brush: Omega S10018.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: The Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Shaving Cream.
    Blade: Derby Premium. (2)
    Razor: Merkur 34c.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Baylis & Harding Sandalwood & Amber ASB./Oud 24 Hours EDP.

Greetings,

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

The Merkur 34c/Derby Premium duo paired together wonderfully....However the Derby Premium felt noticeable more aggressive but with the same level of smoothness this could be due to the Merkur 34c having a slightly heavier handle than the Mühle R89.The Mühle R89 is more 'Top heavy'.

Another comfortable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report....Finishing to the shave off with a few small squirts of Oud 24 Hours EDP to the pulse points.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

6. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Sunday DecemBOAR 12, 2021
    Razor: Schick Repeating Type B
    Blade: Proline Injector
    Brush: Star 566/Boti Boar
    Soap: Ethos Vanilla Safi M
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Winter Reserve Small Batch Shave Tonic
    Fragrance: Prada Luna Rossa Black
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1131

This soap scent and Aftershave were made for each other. It's what I used together when Pete Patriot graciously shared a healthy sample of the soap with me and I'm delighted to have a tub of it now to enjoy whenever I want a luxurious shave. It's the M base but has firmed up nicely as it has cured. The Boti Boar knot on 1st use had some funk that I know will subside and just a few hairs lost. It held enough lather for a 3 pass mug shave and a 1 pass back of the neck shave. Not bad for a 20 mm boar on 1st use. I'm refreshed and ready for the day.......................after some coffee and a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin that is. Have a stupid fun day folks !!
    IMG_20211211_202033694_HDR.jpg

7. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Dscosmetic Z0 Timeless Ti Crown Handle
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    Tabac Original Soap
    Maggard 2 Band
    Aloe Vera
    A&E Asian Pear Splash
    A&E Asian Pear.JPG

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos211212.JPG
    Lather Catcher Sunday's Shave

zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Musgo Real Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #423 Two-band Badger
    1902 Kampfe Brothers/Star Lather Catcher
    Star Wedge
    CWR
    Humphrey's Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Citrus Musk EDC

The Musgo Real Shave Soap lathered well with the Jayaruh #423 Two-band Badger Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the 1902 Kampfe Brothers/Star Lather Catcher Razor with a Star Wedge Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Humphrey's Witch Hazel and Pinaud Citrus Musk EDC. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  9. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

May God grant you good health and comfort.

Great shave my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hembree, Ron R, MrDaniel's and 2 others like this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sunday morning’s Grand Freeze

Stirling Mentholated Pre Shave Soap
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/King C. Gillette day 5
    MSC Peppermint Lime SS
    Prep ASB
    MSC Peppermint Lime AS Splash

Wow, did I ever freeze my face off this morning and have fun doing it - Fernando’s Peppermint Lime soap and aftershave are two precious treasures. The soap is tallow based like all his other ones, the scent is so beautiful - the lime is more dominant than the peppermint, the lather is absolutely awesome, the menthol sensation is almost as strong as any of the Stirling Glacials, and the skincare is terrific. The Prep felt so moisturizing as well as soothing, and the Peppermint Lime aftershave is witch hazel based so it has no sting or burn, it smells as lovely as the soap, and it has a lulu of a menthol punch. Smoother than silk from three glorious passes!

Have a good Sunday - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

December 12th
    Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25
    Blade: Voskhod (3)
    Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
    Pre-shave: PAA Cube
    Soap: B&M Dickens Revisited
    Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel
    AS: B&M Dickens Revisited Balm

Good morning!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 12, 2021
    Blackland Sabre Level 2
    Gem PTFE
    Omega EVO Synthetic
    RR The Dead Sea
    Shave Soap & Aftershave

[​IMG]

13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

1C0AD4BE-7CCE-4505-8B5B-90270103245B.jpeg
    SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 12, 2021

Well, I acquired my first safety razor in almost a year and a half. It is an immaculate NOS 1911 Durham Duplex safety razor in the original Bakelite case which I happened across in my search for a stropping attachment for my folding handled version. The price was right, and it uses the same head as the folding handle version, although the blade attachment process differs. The UK Ever Ready Hair Trimmer blades fit perfectly.

I must admit that I really like the safety razor version for my dome shave even more than the folding handle version. The head is much wider than any of my other safety razors, and provides a very wide cut, that it takes only half as many ATG strokes to cover the same shave real estate on the flatter parts of the noggin. The shave was quite close, but not as close a my Barbasol Floating Head or Eclipse Red Ring, the two most efficient blade-holding shavers in my den.

But the belle of the ball was this amazing Smith Bros. of Boston rescaled blue steel 11/16 blade. According to the “Roadshow Collectibles Straight Razor Mfrs Directory”, Smith Brothers was actively importing blades and scaling and reselling them between 1860 and 1910. The original insect eaten horn scales would place this razor earlier in the manufacture. There was no evidence of gun bluing anywhere on the blade.

The extreme hardness of the blade reminded me of some of the Swedish steel I’ve honed. Given Boston’s role as a port city, along with the fact that trading with Japan had begun about the same time as Smith Brothers started in business, I’m going to go out on a limb and hypothesize that the blade is Japanese blue steel or ‘aogami’ which would have been a key export of the newly opened Japanese export market. It is a great edge holding steel alloyed with tungsten, vanadium and chromium.

Whether it is or not, the edge on this straight razor is amazingly sharp. Honing a razor can build up an accumulating burr, which if not removed will contribute to a perceived ‘harsh’ albeit sharp edge. Such an edge will pass the venerable HHT, but the resulting shave will be anything but pleasant. Howard Schlecter, a honemeister from the Boston area teaches his honing students to deburr by running the blade gently along the edge of the finishing stone on each side of the blade edge as part of the finishing process which, of course, seems counter intuitive.

However, 5 to 7 subsequent strokes on the finisher very quickly restore a buttery smooth quite sharp edge, which is then easily maintained well into the future with a graduated pasted strop regimen. Schlecter’s constroption has been just the ticket for me for maintaining all my straight razors. My two and a half pass mug shave this morning reinforced that this approach is just the ticket for me to achieve the lovely velveteen mug shaves with the buttery smooth edges that I enjoy so much!

RAZOR: Smith Bros. of Boston 11/16 (Mug), Durham Duplex Safety Razor (Dome)
    BLADE: Ever Ready Hair Trimmer (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub AS Splash.

14. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

Found a Durham Duplex even if not in such mint condition, but haven't been brave enough to test it! :D

clint64, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  15. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Soap: Sudsy Soapery non-tallow unscented
    Brush: JR 76
    Razor: 1956 Gillette Red Tip
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword
    After: Ariana and Evans post shave serum
    [​IMG]

16. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOD Sunday December 12, 2021
    Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
    Proraso Red is amazing. I love the scent and my skin feels great. Even when this challenge is over this one will always be regular in my den.

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Fendrihan
    Pre shave: None
    Lather: Proraso Red (73)
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Face WTG-XTG-ATG
    Head WTG:XTG-ATG
    Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Lotion:
    Balm: Proraso Red Dopobarba
    Have a great day!
    IMG_8385.jpg

17. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Gold Aristocrat / Polsilver Super Iridium
    Yaqi Synthetic
    Captain's Choice / 45th Parallel [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

18. brit

brit in a box

the sunday shave
    brit #58 aristocrat jr
    platinum
    yaqi ruby
    sc bignoli
    fine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jgreenepa

Thank you, Jeff! Much appreciated!

Hembree, clint64, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  20. jgreenepa

They’re great razors with the right blade! Honestly, I was surprised by the shave. This is one razor where one would have to work at hurting themself! Had a great noggin shave! Make sure you get either an Ever Ready UK blade or a US Personna made one.

Hembree, clint64 and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.