January 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Juggling or Jumbo January

Happy New Year! May you all have a healthy and prosperous year!

It is the 30 DC 7th Anniversary! I am excited that we can continue to share our shaving exploits with each other this year. I want to thank all of you for helping me continue with this thread and hopefully this thread will expand with new members. I want to encourage you to invite your newbie and veteran shavemates from other forums to check us out and possibly join us. I will also do the same. This is a suggestion so no pressure.
    This thread is not about me, but it is about all of us. With that said, I will make a commitment to download at least one shaving video of me shaving or one from some of the other YouTubers every month. If you find something on YouTube that you think would benefit us, then by all means do so as long as it is about shaving. This has never been done on this thread, but I think it will break new ground here. I have other ideas, but I will hold off for now. If you have any ideas, then please share it.

OK, let's get with the program and discuss this month's theme. Juggling or Jumbo January. Juggling January is my way of saying choose whatever setup pleases you. Aren't you glad you're not literally juggling razors. Lol! Seriously, you have free reign without doing a focus or rule, but if you want to do one,then that's cool. I know @ewk Eric is planning an injector razor focus this month and that's great. Let's cheer him on this month.
    What do I mean by Jumbo January? Personally, I will be using my large straight razors with the minimum width of 7/8 inches. If Joe Carbone wants to partially join me with his top big blades in his den that would be great. The rest of you can use some of your large safety razors whether it is a long handled razor or a thick headed one. I just don't want to leave you guys out if you want to go this route.

Moving on, I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every comment, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great start to this new year with great shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

1st January 2022.

1.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face
    Pears Transparent Bar Soap with Mint Extracts.
    Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream.
    Blade: Sunny Supreme Stainless. (D1)
    Razor: FaTip Grande.

Cold water Face Wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Floid Mentolado Vigoroso ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

Greetings,

New year's day shave.
    Happy New Year to all members of TSD, wishing you all peace good health, happiness & contentedness for 2022.:eatdrink047:

Double maiden shave with the Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream and the Indian Sunny Supreme Stainless blade.

During the Christmas break i had a sort out in my shaving den and picked out various assortments that i have infrequently used in the past some i have yet to try out...Over the next month or even longer, i will be be using a variety of subcontinent DE blades along with an array of new shaving assortments that i got from myself family,& friends as Christmas presents.

Starting with the Sunny supreme stainless a new addition to my growing DE blade collection... Like a lot of the subcontinent DE blades they are not the sharpest of blades but are super smooth which is something i prefer over excessive sharpness in a blade...I was curious to pair the Sunny SS with my FaTip Grande the verdict?...A great razor and blade duo, which in all honesty i wasn't sure if it would have worked but it did wonderfully, feeling comfortably smooth and efficient.

The Proraso Sandalwood Shaving cream provided a wonderful slick protective lather in a short space of time....I enjoy the fragrance of the cream which like the soap sibling isn't a 'In Your Face' scent but lingers during and after the shave.

A close comfortable 2 pass + pick ups new year's day shave to start the year off in style...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Nivea Men Fresh Kick ASB.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and have a wonderful new years day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Hopefully things will get better with the COVID madness...Enough said. Yours-Barry.

3. brit

brit in a box

happy new year
    1948 brit fb tech/alpha techtanium handle
    platinum
    ap shave co tuxedo
    b & s timberyard
    mr. burberry

20211231_122932_edited.jpg

have a fine new year
    :eatdrink047:

4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Happy New Year! I am looking forward to using my straights for a majority of the month save Micromatic Monday. Yes, I will be busting out the 7/8ths for a few of the shaves.

My goal for this year will continue with the den reduction. I plan on diminishing my sample collection and well as the collection of tubs, with 8 samples and 3 tubs. Of course it may be a little more. I will put on hold the 1508.5 Project until February. I would like to add a little more variety to the shaves for the month of January. Also, it is my birth more so on my birthday I will choose from one of the two birth year/quarter Gillette razors to do the honor of the shave.

6BE23AF9-BA69-4A2E-BC03-BCCDB7DBB253.jpeg

Shavette Shave # 157

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Parker SRX
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Ever Ready 200T
    Lather: Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E
    Aftershave: Floid Genuine
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original

Today’s final travel shave. I am looking forward to using my straights after almost a week without them. The Parker SRX delivered a smooth and close shave. I tend to get excellent results with the GSB blades. These blades are extremely sharp. That being said, any blade in a shavette meets that criteria. The one tip I would give anyone just learning with the Shavette is to employ bare minimum pressure. Just left the weight of the razor do the work as you move very slowly across the skin. Stretching the skin in most areas, especially you more challenging areas aids in optimal performance. As you progress you will learn the nuances of the shavette, which each brand in your den, if you choose to get multiples, that will lead to great shaves consistently.

Again, I wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.

5. Trigger

That's an excellent shave to start the new year Barry. As a gentle reminder, please refrain from speaking about Covid. I know you have a kind and compassionate heart, but we must follow certain guidelines that have been placed and mentioned at the beginning of every month. Thanks for understanding. Have an awesome New Year's Day!

awk-m4, palmolive fox and JACarbone like this.
  6. Trigger

Great shave and great advice Joe. Happy New Year!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    awk-m4 and JACarbone like this.
  7. Trigger

Fantastic start to the New Year and a great picture Gary! Happy New Year!

JACarbone and brit like this.
  8. Trigger

I am starting out the first day of 2022 as a no shave day! Tomorrow, I will start my first shave with one of my Sons of Thunder. Leaning toward the bigger half-brother from the Ukraine.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for another month-another YEAR-of good fun (best way to learn, really....to have FUN doing so), good shaves, good shave descriptions, and positive camaraderie. Let's do it!!!!

awk-m4, wristwatchb, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. Trigger

I will never Curb Your Enthusiasm Paul!

JACarbone, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe.

brit and Trigger like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Aaah, it's never been done anywayyyy(long lung breath) :)

13. Paul Turner

Any artisan shave companies that opened for business in 2012 can now join my Throwback Thursday team.

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  14. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe...Have a great New Year's Day .:cool:

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  15. Trigger

:)

JACarbone and brit like this.
  16. Paul Turner

On this morning's shave:

GOOD NEWS-
    -
    No cuts or Knicks
    -Nice job along cheeks&sideburn areas
    Nice job at Cactus Nation(mainly below the ingrown hairs area)
    -Excellent along NW Porcupine Alley

BAD NEWS-

-
    Left a little too much at NE Porcupine
    -Ditto jawline (just under S. Porcupine)
    -Administered too much of the Stephan A.S., thus it smelled too clovey at first, easing up now though.
    -Unintentially forgot to do second pass(that won't happen again).

overall comment-PRETTY EXCELLENT.

17. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

As I hold the Feather in my hand, I use the name to remind myself: "Feather-light pressure. Feather-light pressure. . . ."

18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe..:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  19. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

January Injector Focus Shave #1

Razor: Schick G
    Blade: Personna 74
    Brush: TrotterHandcrafts Cities in Space 28 mm Timberwolf
    Soap: Zingari Man The Watchman
    A/S: La Toja
    IMG_20220101_094158815.jpg

Saturday morning luxury shave. First, I ran a practice bladeless pass with the Feather AC to gain familiarity with it for next month.

I chose the injector most familiar to me to begin the focus. I have about a dozen shaves with it using a sChick blade, and I know it to be a good smooth razor for me. I used a vintage Personna 74 blade twice in the Schick M (first use) and experienced the appearance of a face full of claret. I did not know if it was the razor or the vintage blade as it was my first use of both. With a little trepidation I inserted a "fresh" 74 blade into the familiar G.

Actually following the wise advice to "apply no pressure," I achieved a very fine shave in two passes plus touch-up on both the face and the dome. The same "no pressure" strategy needs to be employed with all razors, mild and aggressive. This was quite a revelation during this mornings shave. A light touch with a sharp blade gets the job done very efficiently. I am hoping my problem with the M was that I treated it like a cartridge and used too much pressure. The Personna 74 blade felt much smoother and much more comfortable today in this G than the modern sChick blade.

I still ended up with two light weepers on the sensitive skin under the lip that cleared up quickly. A great shave to start the new year.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting...

:shocked029:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.