What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great shave kit and terrific photo, as usual, Blair. ’ve always admired the wrapping job you did on your DX. Did you waterproof the leather cord? Any recommendations?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    TestDepth, Karl G and b1hart like this.
  2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thanks for the compliments Jeff!

On the DX, that was a tough one. ~5 tries to get it right. It is 1.5mm round leather cord, from Amazon. No waterproofing (it is already coated/burnished). The tough part is the loose ends, making the first end stay in place while wrapping, then keeping the wrap tight while threading the loose end back under the entire wrapping, and alongside the first end (that was covered up). I used a large leather needle, needle nose pliers, GEM blade (to cut the loose ends in between the wrapping). I'll get some better images for you soon.

I've wrapped two other kamisoris, I'll get images also. Those I used 3mm & 4mm flat deerskin lacing. I laced those like you'd do a marching band drumstick, which is also the same overlap bar wrapping technique used on drop bar road bicycles (lots of video's on YT of this). Supremely easier than what I did on the DX, I just tied off the ends and let them be ornamental lengths that don't get in the way while shaving.

TestDepth, jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Never tried MWF :shocked003:

jgreenepa and b1hart like this.
  4. jgreenepa

Karl, that’s the stuff I shave with 95% of the time. Great stuff! Some impatient souls have issues lathering it. It is a very thirsty soap, but the skin benefits with extended use are awesome! Disappearing weepers, and great post shave skin tone. It does take some time to build a lather. Which some of our younger members are unwilling to spend the time to do!

Karl G likes this.
  5. jgreenepa

I have two vintage tamahagane Kamisori razors on the way to me. I’m planning on doing a wrap on the one without a handle. I’ll keep you posted.

Karl G likes this.
  6. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Monday morning shave, Geneva Cutlery.
    Splash Floris Elite.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Fine shave with the ever loud and noisy Leader. Nothing but smooth skin left behind :happy088:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Romera Wengue Chubby Manchurian Badger
    Baume.be Shaving Cream
    FW Engels Leader 13/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

9CCF5369-3415-468A-A7BC-0353E2583C37.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

8. jgreenepa

5B46859A-92CC-4587-9A1D-368D99FD4A2E.jpeg
    SOTD MONDAY MORNING, JANUARY 10, 2022

RAZOR: Klas Tornblom 4/8 (Mug), Eclipse Red Ring (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: JT Cashmere Knot (me likee)
    CREAM: Castle Forbes Lavender
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Ethos Lavender Surpreme Splash

lottenhem, Zykris, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

That is one sweet-looking straight, Hans! I shaved with my Genco 35 this morning. Geneva changed their name to Genco following their move from Geneva New York where they had their start to Bradford, Pa. which was closer to Pittsburgh, thus lowering their steel materials cost. Great shave kit this morning!

lottenhem, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  10. jgreenepa

Love the scales and bolsters on that Engels, Karl! You have a lovely collection! Great shave kit!

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  11. jgreenepa

9E2093E5-823E-4619-A09E-5996D4D46848.jpeg
    SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, JANUARY 11, 2022

RAZOR: Genco 35 5/8 (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks:

But I understand I might be needing some Fat :happy097:

TestDepth and jgreenepa like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yesterday, the Rifuto, soap was 3P lathered with an Omega boar, and a little ABC almond balm was the perfect compliment.

Today, an I.Z.S. by Ilzuka Co, a name knofe people will recognize. Iizuka san worked with Iwasaki and Tanifuji before starting up his own forge, Shigefusa Hamono. I’m assuming that this is the same gentleman. Soap was Floris Elite lathered with a Duke 3 copy in two-band by Scott Lockwood, and a little Floris Elite AS finished up.

0B0F417C-3A2B-4DA0-B150-EB8A3301FE74.jpeg 887225E7-42E7-4225-B3DE-67D34A3973A3.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  14. jgreenepa

Every shave is better with the Fat!

Karl G likes this.
  15. jgreenepa

Great looking razors, Steve! Are these razors still being made? Just curious.

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No they’re not Jeff, they’re mid-1960s razors. You can still get a Shigefusa kitchen knife if you’re incredibly lucky, but he does not make razors anymore AFAIK. Boy I wish!

TestDepth, jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Are the blades tamahagane? Just curious!

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  18. jgreenepa

84A7A7A2-7556-47BD-BAEF-3216BDE21EF8.jpeg
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, JANUARY 12, 2022

RAZOR: Frederick Reynolds 9/16 Rattler Grind (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE ( Dome)
    BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Handled Tuxedo Synth
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm and Canoe Original EdT.

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

They are not marked as such Jeff, and I know very little about the Iizuka. There’s some speculation that Prefect Works (the Rifuto 815 and several others) had a connection to Tanifuji but that connection, if any, is not widely accepted. I’m trying to find out more but doubt that I will succeed.

TestDepth, Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  20. jgreenepa

I have a nagamasa tamahagane vintage Kamisori arriving today, Steve! Have you ever honed tamahagane steel? I understand it can be quite an undertaking! We’ll see!

lottenhem, TestDepth and Karl G like this.