Never-Shred brand reknotting problem

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by cpool222, Jan 10, 2022.

1. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

What to do about this situation?? I finally took the knot out of this really old brush to put in a new knot and right in the middle of it is this metal screw that is covered in this super-hard material. I can't figure out what to do unless I make a hole in the bottom of my knot so that the knot base will rest on the floor of this brush head. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Grinding wheel on a dremel to take it down and fit your knot?

3. cpool222

It's worth a try. Thanks! Other suggestions welcome.

PanChango and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would worry about taking too much off the plug of a knot. I have ruined a couple knots in the past.

Ijustmissedthe50s and cpool222 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That is vulcanized rubber. Best way I've found to get rid of it is to wait until the brush hits it's 100th birthday mark. It just crumbles from dry rot at that point.

I'm assuming you want a faster timeline. small drill, drill down into the rubber, make a series of holes right next to each other, make it all look like a sliced up pie. One or two taps a chisel to divide the 'pie' slices and you should be able to remove all the rubber. That will give you access to the metal thingy.

Pad the bottom of the brush when you are doing the chiseling. Do the drilling outdoors or in a very well ventilated spot. Burning hair doesn't smell great.

6. cpool222

Thanks... I appreciate the advice

7. cpool222

Thanks... I've already removed the entire previous knot with all the hair (you're right, the hair stinks!) and the hard stuff that the hair was stuck in. underneath all that was a black base that the new knot will rest on. The screw is sticking up out of that black base about 1/4 inch at least. I'll try to dremel it out, but unsure that I have anything strong enough to get rid of it.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Have anything like this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 11.37.53 AM.png

Or this:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 11.39.57 AM.png

And some long curved needle nose pliers?

Being one to do most my own stereo installs/speaker builds in vehicles over the years....these were essential additions.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. cpool222

I'm afraid that the first tool wouldn't fit inside the head... I'm not familiar with the second tool... what is it called and do you think that it could cut through a screw? Thanks!!

b1hart likes this.
  10. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Both are versions of what's called a 'flush cutter'. The top version I have is not large at all, like the screenshot makes it look. It would be tight for sure, but maybe....

I wasn't thinking of totally cutting through the screw head. More like score it on a few sides, then use needle nose pliers to bend/twist it at the score marks to make it break off. Then, maybe you could get at it a little better with a Dremel type grinder stone.

Delicate process for sure, time consuming to go slow and not damage the brush handle.

Says the guy who spent 4+ hours with a Dremel on an Omega EVO plastic handle....to retrieve the knot intact for transplanting into a 'prettier' handle.

PLANofMAN and cpool222 like this.
  11. cpool222

Thanks so much for the ideas! I do appreciate it, and I'll work on it to see how it goes!

b1hart likes this.
  12. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

What about placing a coin or washer as a base for the knot? Is there enough depth? Or even just some silicone/epoxy to even things out.

cpool222 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. cpool222

That's a great idea, but unfortunately it would be too shallow. However, I think if I grind the tip down 1/8 inch or so, I could put a washer in there and it would fit. A combination of everyone's ideas will actually work! Thanks!

PLANofMAN and PanChango like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Been there, done that. Chipped handle on a D01 Shavemac. Salvaged the knot and reinstalled it in a Wolf Whiskers handle.

It was a slow process.

15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've done a couple with that cone shaped rubber piece to remove. I eventually bought cheap grinding stones to use on my Wen. After using it one time, you'd have to throw away the grinding stone because it gets caked with rubber.

cpool222 likes this.