January 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I believe he did that a few months ago.

brit, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Jeff. You remembered that the TI was the first straight in my den. I would love to pick up another TI down the road.

3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Enjoy your weekend Barry. Wonderful shave this morning.

brit, Trigger and palmolive fox like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Classic shave Myles.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, what an excellent shave this morning. How excellent. Read on:

This was the third shave in a row where I didn't count the loading time, just watched the brush to determine when it was ready to go t0 work for me. 2 fine, healthy passes. Great along the cheeks&sideburns(both sides, especially on the right which had been giving me fits). Porcupine Alley, fine at both ends. I did hit a small speedbump at Cactus Nation, but it didn't cause any redness. That was the clincher for an Outta This World Excellent shave, from the Central Texas Soaps Weekend Rodeo. Just a whole lotta Texas-based leather from both the soap and A.S.

SRQShaver, MaineYooper, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe...It's been a while since i last gave My R41 a outing..It performed wonderfully...Have an enjoyable weekend too my friend. :cool:

7. palmolive fox

:signs001: Jeff...My R41 is the tamed-down 2013...It's still very assertive, and hold's no mercy to face & head stubble...Take my friend, and have wonderful weekend.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. palmolive fox

:signs001: Joe...Have a great weekend my friend. :cool:

9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great shave Paul! I never timed my loading time. I just eyeball the load on the brush and lather my face when I think that I have enough. Take care.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks like I've joined "Trigger Nation" with that philosophy. Thanks for the compliment.

11. Trigger

Wonderful shave pic and post Joe. Awhile ago, I appraised my collection and it was over the $3000 mark as well. I am glad that I am content with what I have and really don't need to add anything else except the software and possibly a Filly straight. Enjoy the day!

brit, jgreenepa and JACarbone like this.
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous shave all around Paul

13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. Sometimes it is hard to resist.

14. Trigger

Well, you're giving it your best shot to hit the target. Just don't pull the trigger early. Lol!

15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

2A375C86-20A3-4CCA-A445-84D9A212B9F4.jpeg
    SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, JANUARY 15, 2022

My Brit friend Joseph had recommended that I spend a bit more time honing this 9/16 Faux Frameback from JA Hellberg. The last shave with it had me considering selling it. It was a decent shave, but my two Bluesman blades have set a very high edge standard for me. Recommendations from my UK friend, Joseph, are taken seriously, as he is one of, if not the best Sheffield straight razor restorationists currently working on his side of the pond. After my last post about my shave with this razor, he recommended I spend a bit more time on the stones with it, given the hardness of Swedish steel.

Well slap me up side the head and call me short!! I went all the way back, reset the bevel and then to a careful dilucot method series of slurries on the coticule finishing in water. Then for a bit of overkill I grabbed my faithful 9 Ball Slate for a few very gentle laps and burnished the bevel to a smooth mirror shin on my jasper unti it felt almost glued to the stone. What a great shave! Two and a half passes put the baby to bed. Like yesterday’s shave, it felt like I was just scooping away the lather to a lovely velveteen result. These Swedish Faux framebacks are essentially a flat blade-shaped piece of steel with some thin metal wrapped and attached to the spine side of the blade, so while it’s not a wedge, it shaves silently like one.

The noggin shave featured one of my favorite French vintage DE razors, the Leresche 51 Luxe. This razor has been described in almost Steve Martinesque terms as “mildly aggressive”, “aggressive for a relatively mild razor”, to “aggressively mild”. Honestly, I just prefer “efficient”, as this razor weighs in at 79 grams, the same as a Fatboy, and like the latter has a somewhat chunky short handle, but boy can it clear the decks! Loaded with a Feather, Kai, or Nacet, this little beauty takes no prisoners. The razor possesses a generous sweet spot, but new users are generally recommended to ride the cap until he or she develops a better feel for the razor. Two ATG passes finished a delightful shave leaving G-Pop clean, smooth and ready for the arrival of my daughter’s kids.

RAZOR: JA Hellberg Faux Frameback 9/16 (Mug), Leresche 51 (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with RR After Shaving Splash Blue Floid Dupe.

16. Trigger

My YouTube video on yesterday's shave is taking a long time to upload. It is 2GB and I am only at 300 MB. That's about 17 hrs. At that rate, it's going to take 4 days. With my previous phone, it took a day, if that. I thought 5K technology would be easier to upload stuff. Lol!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    SRQShaver, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  17. Trigger

Great shaves Jeff! My namesake across the pond gave you great advice. I am happy you redid the honing on that nice razor. Have a fantastic day!

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  18. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe!

Trigger likes this.
  19. jgreenepa

Fabulous shave kit and commentary, Joe! I remembered meeting you over on FB when I first began exploring FB shave groups from my safe little TSD hangout some years ago. I don’t know how you came to be here, but I’m glad you are and appreciate the contributions you’ve made. We all learn from each other! It’s a great hobby! At least it keeps this old fart busy! I was a partner in a research firm, and now I get to continue to do what I enjoy!

Trigger and brit like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Great shave, Paul!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.