Cooking with cast iron

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jun 28, 2021.

1. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

It’s the Instant Pot Aura, a 10-1 multi cooker. We use it for everything from slow cooks, stews, and sous vide. Our previous slow cooker but the dust about 4 years ago, and this was the replacement. We absolutely love it. We’ve had the regular round IP pressure cooker for even longer, it’s what made us choose this guy. Sometimes both are doing duty, but most times the multi cooker is side dishes and a lodge pan for the main course. Keeps the kitchen less hot than everything on the stove top. A big thing here in Texas summers.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

6F5E5300-3898-4141-885E-1B914A67A3B8.jpeg

Lodge 12” on grill duty. Brats, zucchini and carrots (carrots sautéed in the Instant Pot multi cooker).

Just had to use the BGE, still in the 70s here in North Texas!

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The cast iron pans got lots of love yesterday. We made fried chicken in the 10” and buttermilk biscuits in the 12”.

4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

A6322451-D4D2-418D-8A9E-AB9CDFD1F907.jpeg

Used this 10” Lodge today. Seared some onions, a large ham slice for a home made black eyed peas recipe (simmering in the Instant Pot Aura).

Current duty is cooling a pan of corn bread. It’s my father’s 85th birthday today, we’re taking him black eyed peas, and his favorite corn bread my mom used to make.

Separate note….a 12” Cuisineart fry pan in the background. The cast iron set I use is too heavy for wifey, so for Christmas I completed her set of Cuisineart pan ware, she loves it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

New Year's Day Dinner: Angus roast seared and baked in the oven in a cast iron pan w/sauteed onions and garlic. Homemade mashed potatoes, And some plain rice w/boiled and drained ground turkey for the pups................
    IMG_20220101_154248_4.jpg

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Happy New Year my friends!

Rib roast from sous vide to pre-heated 475° cast iron skillet to 475° oven for ten minutes. Wonderful!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Forgot to grab an image. Used the 10” & 12” Lodge skillets to fry up some Tilapia.

New recipe for me, did a lifestyle change to keto in 2021. Usually I’m using a Cajun breading mix from Zatarain’s.

The new ‘breading’ was a 1:1 ratio of almond flour to parmesan cheese (grated, then powdered in a blender). Added Italian seasonings mix, light salt & pepper. Huge hit with the family! Next try, I’ll add a few extra special seasonings and see how it works out. Today’s sides were simply sautéed carrots, and green beans.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

They must have been huge biscuits.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Bigger than a 10 inch chicken anyhow:D

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No, just a lot of them.

Paul Turner and b1hart like this.
  11. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

IMG_20220107_131338_427.jpg Finnish rye bread cut in pieces, butter, garlic and salt. Decent way to turn slightly stale bread into a tasty snack. :D

jluc, PanChango, battle.munky and 2 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Roasted a chicken over a bed of radishes, onion and bacon in the Dutch oven. About fifty minutes covered and forty minutes uncovered. Unfortunately the skin didn't take on much color. I blame myself for forgetting to butter it. Other than not looking pretty it sure tasted good.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Last nights leftovers for this morning's steak and veggie scramble.

[​IMG][​IMG]

MrDaniel's, battle.munky and b1hart like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

French toast on the double-burner griddle this morning. Yum.

MrDaniel's and jluc like this.
  15. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

jluc,

Is that an enameled pan? If so, who makes it?

jluc likes this.
  16. richgem

It probably doesn't count, but I toasted/fried English muffins in my cast-iron pan this morning since my toaster broke. I put down a very thin layer of ghee in the pan so I'm not sure if that was actually toasting or frying. Either way they came out yummy.

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Not enameled. 10" Stargazer cast iron.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you used the cast iron it counts. It sounds rather appetizing.

richgem likes this.
  19. richgem

They were delicious. I made the mistake of putting the English muffins in before the pan was good and hot*. But in the end it was a happy mistake because they soaked up a little ghee and then got nice and toasty.

*Don't get me started on the glass top electric that I now have to use instead of gas since I moved.:angry032:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Sara-s and jluc like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Mail call.

The big Cocotte (Dutch oven) was looking lonely so I got him a little brother. Honestly the big one is overkill for a lot of what we cook but handy when needed.

I ordered the 5.5qt from a UK vendor off Amazon. It was quite a bit less expensive than the domestic vendors with free shipping.

It shipped yesterday from Maidstone, United Kingdom and on my porch in Colorado today.

[​IMG]