SoD: 'A' is for Adjustable!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Aug 2, 2021.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Fatboy (G3) Razor
    Bic Chrome Platinum Blade
    Frank Shaving Finest Two Band Badger Brush
    Monroe Shaving Holly Boggin Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Egyptian Musk
    Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum After Shave

Untitled.jpg

IAmTheJody, Ron R and brit like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gibbs/USTA (2). Not a fan of the head heavy handling of the brass Gibbs but results here (5 setting) were quite good.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody, brit, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Nov 30th 2021

Razor: TARMAX DE adjustable by @twhite - Mfg 2021, 1 of 4 only made, interesting concept, usually I receive great shaves.
    Blade: Gillette Astra SP(5) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
    Soap: Speick, mild spicy scent + excellent lather qualities.(misted)
    Brush: Yaqi Cola 22mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips , nice scrubber, excellent precision painter.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion (balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small nick= [​IMG]excellent shave with my TARMAX by Tom White with a Astra SP.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Dec 4th 2021

Razor: Gillette Slim H1 adj- Mfg 1962 1st qtr, great adjustable razor, great design & well made for its time. Great shaves on setting 7>. 1st razor I owned, bought it a garage sale for $20 Can over 4 years ago.
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (5) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with great longevity and affordable for most folks.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood, nice mid range scent with excellent lather qualities.(misted)
    Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Proraso red sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion (Balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gillette slim with a Gillette Nacet.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

IAmTheJody, jimjo1031, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Schick shave, Jan 9th 2022

Razor: Schick adjustable injector, model 3- Mfg 1970-72, excellent razor with a good range of aggression and efficentcy, well built to last and I enjoy this razor around 2-3 setting with adequate blade feel. There is more comfort at the lower end settings I enjoy.
    Blade: Personna injector, SS PTFE (4) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Gillette pure cream- nice mild scent, excellent lather qualities. This is a great mass produced cream IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter. The thinner badger hairs give the softness but with high density knot gives a great scrub also IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Schick adj injector M3 with a coated Personna injector blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

IAmTheJody, jimjo1031, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Schick shave, Jan 30th 2022

Razor: Schick adjustable M3, Mfg 1970-72, very well built design, works well, it could be classified as a unisex razor because of handle length. I get close shaves on the lower setting with a 2 pass shave with touch ups.
    Blade: Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity + predictable.
    Soap: Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild lavender scent with other mild fragrances + excellent lather qualities.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Brush: Yaqi 2band badger with very good ergonomic handle, 1st badger bought in 2021, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave: Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 blemish weepers= Excellent shave with my Schick adj M3 with a Personna coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

IAmTheJody, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Sat, Feb 5th 2022, New razor testing + 1st shave!

Razor: Yaqi V3 TFC adjustable with Gun metal handle- Mfg 2021> excellent adjustable razor, 1st shave, I read a little on line about this razor and concluded it would be great around 1-3 setting for myself and folks where correct. Started out around 2 and then 1 and pickups 3 and it was mostly a carefree shave for myself. I like the 1 & 2 range mostly and felt it was a nice sweet spot for my self not aggressive but efficient and my 1 day stubble did not stand a chance.
    My razor felt equal on both sides when turned 180 degrees and that was great feeling because that was a good test for any razor that the machining is accurate enough .
    Grip of razor was adequate with medium knurling, adjustment on top worked well and there are a lot in-between settings.
    After all said & done with my 1st shave I pulled out the Alum block that does not lie and did my sweep of the face and indicated really not much of anything for stinging!
    The razor finish on the out side is very good and under the cap looked reasonable but not perfect, might be a bargain for some folks who always wanted a Gibbs style razor that takes regular DE blades like myself!
    So my shave also hit my sweet spot for final results after 2 passes with pickups of DFS,BBS (DFS++) shave [​IMG] [​IMG] .
    Yes, I could of gotten a much closer shave on 4>6> settings no doubt but that is not always my goal , and not always a comfortable shave on higher settings as most already know with adjustable razors.
    Blade: Gillette Nacet(4) excellent sharp & smooth blade.
    Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Robin 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs, great scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Alum block with rinse after 30-60 seconds + Razorock King Louis Lavender Aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing cream + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adj with a Gillette Nacet blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

8. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I came to post about my first experience with this razor and it's essentially the same. I did passes one and two on setting 3 and the last pass on 2. I had a lot of blade feel off of a Tatra Platinum blade but it was very comfortable. Sometimes, blade feel comes at the price of feeling uneasy around tight spots and rounded areas like the chin where a blade can easily bite. I didn't get any of that with this razor. It didn't feel like the blade was in an unsafe position at any point. As with all things shaving, YMMV and I'm sure others won't like this one but for me, this one's a keeper.

SOTD_2022-02-05_3.jpg

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have to agree with your experiences also with the Yaqi TFC, I'm still tinkering and fine tuning the razor in to optimum setting or settings(settings 2&3 are the sweet spot it is indicating so far). At the moment I'm trying to paint the #'s on the dial and 1st attempt was not successful(first soaking they fell off). I reached for my JB weld Marine( if it does not hold nothing will IMO), the problem is the chrome is hard and smooth and paint will not stick well. It sure looks good with the #'s painted IMO. It would be better if the surface is roughed up a little but I'm not going to do that to my new razor, the JB weld I have used it on other shaving related applications and find it amazing so I'm hoping it sticks well. Got the idea from Mark on Friendship shaving on You Tube, Mark just made a recent video on his method he uses and I just followed his procedure, my paint I used is some old acrylic craft paint the wife had and thought why not. This is the acrylic painted #'s that unfortunately did not work.
    (Before and after shot of the painted #,s)
    Yaqi V3 TFC adjustable razor MFG 2021 Painted #s 2.2.jpg

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Shave, Feb 6th, 2022

Razor:
    Yaqi TFC adjustable, gun metal chromed coated handle- MFG 2021> well built and accurate adjustable razor, I gotten a couple of great shaves already with my new razor (setting #2.3). Works good and looks almost like a Gibbs adjustable razor that uses(proprietary blade) but TFC could be better because it uses regular blades that are appealing to me + affordable.
    Blade: Gillette Astra SP(4) sharp & Smooth with great longevity.
    Soap: Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Ach Brito Lavanda aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper operator error = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adj razor + a Gillette Astra SP.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  11. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I was hoping you saw that video. I'm going to try it as well but I need to get the paint. It definitely looks better with painted numbers, that's for sure. It's a little silly but I like this razor enough to buy the gunmetal one if for no other reason than to have a backup. I'll let you know if I try painting in the numbers.

stuartganis and Ron R like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Feb 8th 2022, Birthday shave!

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4, Year I was born on this day, excellent adjustable, some tab overhang, great daily driver for some and many generations prior.(settings 7,7, & 8 for pickups.)
    Blade: Gillette Nacet(5) excellent blade, sharp & smooth.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandal wood cream, nice sandalwood scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm Artic sky synthetic, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Witch hazel face cleanse + Ogallala Bayrum with sandalwood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a Gillette Nacet. blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Wednesday, Feb 9th 2022, still testing and tinkering with my New Yaqi V3 adj TFC.

Razor: Yaqi V3 TFC adjustable, Mfg 2021> excellent adjustable, setting 3 gives excellent results in todays shave, pickups 3.5(3,3,3.5) works great for myself. mostly a carefree shave, loading a 2pc is a little different for me, I don't have many. [​IMG]
    Blade: Gillette Astra SP(5) excellent sharp & smooth, great longevity.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender, great masculine scent of lavender with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm high mountain silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + excellent painter.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Astra SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Aaaaand, we approach another Throwback Thursday. Here's my offering:

prep-Dial 4 Men Bodywash(3-in-1)in shower
    shave-Mitchell's Wool Fat*
    brush-Stoylin "No-Name" synthetic
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S. Bill Neumann, Signature 1907**

*-
    says 1893 formula on the lid, but someone here said the actual soap is from 1937. Either way works,.

jimjo1031, brit and stuartganis like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thur, Feb 10th 2022

Razor: Yaqi TFC adjustable- Mfg 2021> great adjustable, well made & designed, similar to a Gibbs adjustable. Takes regular blades and I receive excellent shaves.
    Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP, excellent blade, sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- nice masculine lavender scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi purple haze 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + great painter.
    Post shave: Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adj with a 7oClock SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Heritage Gibbs (5)/Polsilver SI. Charcoal soap and oil only. Handling bites just like the original Gibbs but excellent results.[​IMG]

IAmTheJody, jimjo1031 and Ron R like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Sat, Feb12th, 2022

Razor: Yaqi V3,TFC adjustable- Nice adjustable, no blade tap overhang, 2pc, easy to load blades, easy to clean, mostly a carefree shave. The Yaqi TFC razor works similar to the Gibbs adjustable from the 1930's but use regular blades instead. Settings 3>3>3.5 pickups works well for my shaves it seems.
    Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP- Excellent sharp and Smoooth blade, with reasonable longevity.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici, nice mild citrus red grapefruit scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Moka express 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + great painter.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with Yaqi TFC adjustable + 7oClock SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

IAmTheJody and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gibbs/Polsilver (2). This day I preferred the vintage Gibbs to the Yaqi/Heritage prototype.[​IMG]

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Aluminum Gibbs/Polsilver (3) gets the nod over the others for its superior balance. [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Ron R, IAmTheJody, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Apollo Mikron MK2/Kai .Oil only shave today. One shim for additional rigidity. Super.[​IMG]

IAmTheJody, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.