Saponificio Varesino

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jay_gatz, Dec 13, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Been thinking of giving this product line a try. Anyone used their soaps? If so, which fragrances do you like? I am looking to try the whole product line, so soap, AS, Shower gel. Any thoughts on member experiences would be appreciated.

awk-m4, jmsodpc, Michael_W and 3 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

This is on my list of want to try soaps. I have never heard anything but great reviews about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

awk-m4, b1hart, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

The SV 4.3 formula is very close to shaving soap perfection. It's a top performer against any soap I have.....and I have a meager many compared to some shave dens I've seen.

Here is a list I've posted a couple times....bears posting again as I've not been led astray with buying these brands, only a handful or so I don't have from Obie's Tier 1 or Tier 2.

Top Tier Soaps & Creams - Obie - SRP

SV's scents I've tried. Cosmo, Desert Vetiver & Felce Aromatica. While every one of these is very nice, Felce Aromatica is an absolute repurchase. It's a sublime fougère.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    brit, jtspartan, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I'll add....the SV 4.3 formula is triple milled, so while it is more $, it will last a long time. I've used mine now likely 25-30 shaves, and it's barely budged in looking different than my first use. About the only other comparison triple milled soaps I have are old formula Tabac, and MdC. Same for those....all 3 hardly show any use in a rotation.

Tdmsu, brit, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  5. jay_gatz

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone tried Opuntia? I am mainly looking at the lines by fragrance, and there are 4 that you can buy a matching EdP.

The EdP are:

70th Anniversary
    Opuntia
    Cubebe
    Desert Vetiver

6. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I have several Saponificio Varesino shave soaps and enjoy them all. They’re triple milled so they are going to last a very long time. I’ve tried Opuntia and it’s a very relaxing scent.

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

SV pucks are a favourite of mine. Felce Aromatica, Desert Vetiver and Cubebe are all wonderful scents, with FA being one of the best scents in wetshaving, imho. I also have the Colonia dupe made by SV for Asylum, but put the scent a step behind the others. All 4 are the 4.3 base.

8. brit

brit in a box

my one and only is felce aromatica.4.3 base in the green tin..fabulous stuff that still shows little use.:)

9. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I have the Felce Aromatica and the Dolomiti.

I like to use them on the weekend when I have a few extra minutes to focus on a great shave.

As mentioned they last a long time being a triple milled soap.

awk-m4, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  10. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the 70th Anniversary line for this brand. I have a puck and the aftershave, and it is fantastic. It's vegetable/vegan-based, but made in Italy by a company that's been around for well over seven decades. The scent is clean, citrus, reminiscent of freshly washed linen sheets hung out to dry.

BlackGOLD and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. jay_gatz

So I ended up giving the Opuntia line a go. The whole smash, shower gel, aftershave, shaving soap, and EdP. I really like the fragrance, great after the dry down, and very long lasting. I am curious though, if anyone has strayed from the directions the mfg gives, as they are really specific:

IMG_0924.jpg

I give the brush a light squeeze, pour in the water from the top of the soap, and proceed to bowl lather. Lather is descent, but tends to dry a bit on the face. I am wondering if anyone has broken their rules and added more water, and did it help? Here is the brush I am using:

opuntia.jpg svbrush.jpg

As gaudy as some people accuse the SV brushes to be, I have to say it's a pretty nice knot. Many will consider this heresy, but it rivals a Simpsons knot.

12. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I tried the SV 70th anniversary for the first time earlier this week. I followed the directions exactly and was very pleased with the results. With the extra bloom water in the brush, I don't think I added any to the face lather, but I may have dipped the tip once or twice, I can't remember.

That brush is very classy.

13. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Now that is one fancy-looking brush!

14. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Very nice! Hadn't ever seen a SV brush, that knot does look very plush and soft, wouldn't expect any less from them. Love the handle....if only the ferrule was about 1/3 as wide.

As far as the lathering process, that's pretty much the procedure I follow with any triple milled (Tabac, etc.), or many of the harder 'croap' formulations (PAA, Wholly Kaw, Zingari Man). About the only change for me is that I shake a little water from the brush. FWIW, I usually get drier lathers when face lathering, not so much when I bowl lather; the water from the puck is put in the bowl.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Oh my...the last word I'd describe that handle as would be is gaudy lol. Finally, something different that run of the mill epoxy or copies of previously successful handles by so called great handle makers. All they do is recreate handles that we've all seen before on a lathe. Hardly expert craftsmanship lol. That handle, however, is unique, clever and different. Beautiful brush handle. The knots are subject to extreme objectivity, so it's all in the perspective of the owner. Beautiful, finally unique brush handle! Thanks for sharing!

brit and jay_gatz like this.
  16. jay_gatz

The knot is listed as "Manchurian", and the owner of the company has been on some of the other shaving sites, and will not reveal their knot source, but it has solid backbone, soft tips, and does quite a good job. For the record, I do not think it is gaudy, but some folks on other shaving sites have called it that.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and b1hart like this.
  17. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I started with Felce Aromatica and added Stella Alpina, Tundra Artica and the 70th Anniversary to my den.

All of them a top performers. My favorite scent is still Felce Aromatica. This one will always have a special place because this soap started my SV addiction. The prices are fair due to the hardness of the soap. Triple milled. So you will have fun for a long time with these soaps.

Highly recommended

18. nav

nav Well-Known Member

Currently I only have dolomiti in my den as the remaining scents got a little too cologne-y for my nose over time.

Dolomiti is just so natural and pleasing. I have the LE dark black puck which has a gorgeous underlying mineral scent which reminds me of the ocean!

The ones which left my den:
    Felce, manna, tundra, cosmo, stella, mirto, cubebe.

The lather is amazing and being triple milled, they'll last a lifetime. No complaints at all, it was just a matter of downsizing my den and strong, cologne-y scents were the first to go.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  19. jay_gatz

Did you ever try opuntia? It is strong early, like for 15 minutes, but then gets very subtle but lasts all day, possibly into the next. That is when I do the whole smash, shower gel, soap, A/S, and Perfume. Hard to describe, but it has quickly become one of my favorites, as well as my wife's.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  20. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I avoided that one as the scent is a dupe of aventus cologne.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022