Commonly Used Words That Don't Exist

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 9, 2022.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Jawn

Outside of the metro Philadelphia area you don't hear it used, but it is common here. Not in Webster's Book of Words

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I fig'er if I use a word and the other person knows what I mean, then it's a real word :taunt002:

Ijustmissedthe50s, Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Then Webster’s a fool.

4. swarden43

Hey, it was on the internet.
    Gotta be true, ain't it? ;)

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Another one that isn't(that is in the gonna wanna league)is "onh", as in "I'm onh shoot that arrow right into the bullseye".

Ijustmissedthe50s, Frijolero and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

some say aliens are real too..

7. Paul Turner

Aliens must be the ones who love to say "onh"

brit likes this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

nothingburger

prolly

alot

alright

unthaw

inflammable

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm a firm believer that whomever is running the Merriam-Webster dictionary company, is just throwing slang and made-up nonsensical words, into their "dictionary", just for sales and attention. It has gotten out of control with them, lately.

10. DaltonGang

Inflammable is a synonym of flammable.
    I've seen it used on signage many times.

11. DaltonGang

One short phrase that is, often times, misused is "I could care less". This is used in place of "I couldn't/could not care less". I see this used by many, purported or supposed, intelligent and educated people.
    Please people, don't be caught throwing this phrase around, in the wrong context.

12. swarden43

I posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek ;)

13. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

It reflects an editorial choice. There are two traditional concepts in dictionaries. One is prescriptive, and resonates with nerds like me who want an authoritative pronouncement of how words should be used. Newspapers have editorial policies on phrasing and use of language. The Merriam-Webster example is descriptive, to reflect how language is used. This is actually a good thing. I would be lost without urban and slang dictionaries as I work with a younger clientele in a library. The venerable multi-volume Oxford English Dictionary is a great tool as it comprehensively traces the use of words in the English language from centuries ago to the present age.

14. swarden43

Guess I'm a bit of a nerd myself, then. For Christmas my congregation gave me a copy of Webster’s 1828 Dictionary...and I was excited about it! As a pastor, I appreciate it because ol' Noah W. references scripture with his definitions.

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

chillax

awesomesauce

hangry

glamping

staycation

sorry not sorry

16. Paul Turner

I don't care for many of these "new wave" words, but I do like that "nothingburger".

with "staycation", the "fancy new wave word thinkers" were trapped. They couldn't say "vacate", because that already has a meaning.

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Which is why legislated languages (French, Dutch, I'm sure others) stand out to me. For those who don't know, I mean languages that have a governing body, for lack of a better term, which decides what words are officially part of the language and which aren't. As opposed to English that just vacuums up words as they come along and/or are invented. lol Of course, even with legislated languages, you'll always have those darn kids and their slang words.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

― James D. Nicoll

18. Paul Turner

Then there's always what I call you sometimes-BUDDEH.

brit, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  19. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Here in the north, we usually spell it "youse".:p

20. DaltonGang

No apostrophe?

Ijustmissedthe50s, richgem and brit like this.