Best Knots?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rmcintyre84, Feb 19, 2022.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Who are, in your opinions, the best suppliers of (1) badger knots, (2) boar knots, and (3) synthetic knots? Thanks in advance.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

All i know is dont over pay for synthetic

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I have gotten great synthetic knots from both Maggards and from AP shave Co.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Shavemac for badger

5. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Do they need to be loose knots?

For synthetic I like AP shave Co and TurnNshave.

Boar... Depends on whether I can include full brushes or just knots. Zenith, if the former.

I'll let others cover badgers. I only have 5 badgers and, ironically, like the two I paid the least for the most.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Boar ... Depending on the size usually I harvest one from an Omega brush ... really large or small Whipped Dog
    Badger .... Maggards
    Synthetic ..... Maggards, AP shave

I've tried Envy and Shave Forge ... IMHO over priced and unimpressive.
    Oumo I'm still on the fence with them.

I've even bought from the no name one on ebay with mixed results 80-90% great.

I've been regularly buying a variety of knots for the last six years, so I stand behind the ones in the top three lines.

:)

7. brit

brit in a box

love the omega knots..:)

8. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Thanks guys!

brit likes this.
  9. SterFry

PAA synthetics... I can't believe I forgot PAA. Best performing brushes out there for 19.95 a each. The Peregrino may be my best performing brush. It's the brush that retired all of my natural hair brushes and all but 3 or 4 synthetics.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For Boar knots, I go Omega. I've tried others mentioned here, and their quality isn't as good as Omega. Others just seem to shed over time. Plus, Omega is inexpensive. I'm a big fan of the Omega 10098, for a tall donor knot. As a matter of fact, I'm about to buy an Omega 10066, for a restoration handle project.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Gairdner and brit like this.
  11. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I vote for the mistura by Semogue and am throwing in that curve of a mixed badger/boar. If I’d had bought one first, I may not have twenty plus brushes today. Whatever knots saponificio puts in their brushes are ridiculous. Best badger I have. Even nudges past my Chubby 1 and 2.

Gairdner and Enrico like this.
  12. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Yaqi sells a killer SilverTip , and Ming li

Ron R likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    +1
    https://shavemac.com/en/home/111-brush-comopser.html

Do your research on the different types of badger hair. D01 is unlike any other type of badger hair used in brushes, and Shavemac is the only place you can get it. That's why shavemac gets my vote.

If something happened to my D01 Two Band, I would order a replacement knot the next day, no hesitation. It's got too much backbone for most people, and it's a right bastard to break in, but best brush I've ever owned for my personal taste and preference.

Also, Bernd Blos is a typical German perfectionist. A higher level of detail goes into the shaping of knots, and trimming the knot than I've seen from other manufacturers.

Enrico likes this.
  14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I agree with you on all points. The Shavemac, D01 Two Band, in Extreme Flat Top, shall ever reign supreme for me. Unfortunately, all I see now is the fan shape.

Do you know, is the Flat Top still available for order?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Whipped Dog are excellent. Plus Virginia Sheng.

Enrico likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You should email Bernd Blos for that info. From "extreme flat top" I gather that he uses a flat sided pill bottle rather than any brush cannons (knot shape molds) for shaping that knot.
    Edit: in the knot descriptions side of the website, I see flat top there, and I know some people got flat top brushes when a forum did a group buy from Shavemac a few years ago.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The last 3 Whipped Dog Boars I've had, were shedders.
    I've had excellent results with all Omega brushes. Some I scavenge the knots, to put in other handles.

Enrico likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I usually use Omega for boar unless it's a real oddball size I need.

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. pocosso

pocosso Active Member

For my experience Yaqi manufacture very good knots. But the absolute excellence is DG.

20. SterFry

Yaqi produce good knots all around. I only have 6 badgers left, but of all the fancy badgers I have or have had, the Yaqi I paid $13 for is my favorite badger... Still rarely use it as I've long abandobed natural bad synthetic

Don't DG they only have badger?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2023