Scale alignment help!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mike-R41, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I have a dubl Duck special No 1 and when I go to close it, it tends to bend to the right so I have to use caution and maneuver it to the center while closing. Anyway I could fix this? I was thinking about just twisting it the other way but wanted to check with you guys first. Any help would be appreciated. Just trying to see if I can do it myself, because it’s not that big of a deal if I can’t fix it I will just deal with it

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There are two reasons that razors hit scales

#1 The scales are off on the build, or they are warping over time

#2 The Tang was ground uneven when the razor was built

Being as it is a DD the scales are probably warping over time, you can tweak them, using steam, careful bending, followed with cold water to set it
    This is a temporary fix because the scale will continue to warp over time. Might be months might be years but they will warp again

How do you know the tang is off ???

Well this is a fast and dirty way to test

Place the razor on a Flat surface press down on the pin hole, Look at the distance between the point and the surface, flip the razor to the other side and look again
    Often times you can tell if the spine if "Off" too

Look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is a razor issue, and the scales need to be built to fit :) whole different problem

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Mike-R41

Thanks GS!

Karl G likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hey, Glennn( @gssixgun ), or Steve( @Steve56 ) , do have that pic where it tells where to hit the pivot pin, to change the direction of the blade in the scales?? It's easier to understand it with a picture, than with a long detailed explanation. So, here might benefit from seeing it again.

Karl G and Mike-R41 like this.
  5. Mike-R41

I was wondering do you think I could just maneuver it myself by twisting it?

Karl G likes this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty sure I have one on here, I know there is one on SRP in the Workshop, let me see if I can find a link or two.. The real problem is most newbs don't understand that the pins are actually tapped into a mushroom by going round n round not mashed straight down :(
    So they end up in a worse position than when they started.

I know there is one about where to file the inside of the pivot area/under the bearing washers to fix the Tang issue

Karl G, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Whole other can of worms. If the scales are warped, you can apply hot water, some use hot oil, then twist, and maneuver. Cool under cold water. Depending on the scale material, this can fix, or make the issue worse. Post pics, that would let us know more.

Karl G likes this.