April 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Mar 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi Everyone!

I can't believe we are in April! March just flew by so fast!

First, I just want to thank everyone who contributed to the thread last month. We had some great shaves that I know will continue this month.

Second, I want to welcome our new members @kjbarth ken and @Hogie Hogie.

Third, Although some members didn't participate this month, we all miss them. The one member that stands out is Jeff @jgreenepa. He hasn't been around since mid Feb. In the past, he has mentioned his health issues and pray that any setback he may have had will be over soon. I am looking to his historical anecdotes on straight shaving.

Fourth, Let's keep up with the enthusiasm on our shaves as well as encouraging each other.

***Finally, I want to make a request. Please do not post in a thread when it is past the end of its month. Some members have done so because the thread was not locked in a timely fashion. I don't have the ability to lock these threads. The moderators like @Queen of Blades Joanna, @sparky5693 Sparky and maybe others are the ones to lock tthreads. I appreciate your consideration in this matter.***

The theme of this month is Arko/Adjustable April. It means you can do a focus or a 30 day rule using Arko or any adjustable razor of your choice. You can use both during a shave or you can use an adjustable or Arko ( if you have it) any time you want to do so. Again, there's no obligation to follow the theme. In fact, it could be an Anything Goes April theme. Thanks @brit Gary for the alternative title.

OK, that finishes the main business!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every comment, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great April with awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. Trigger

I will be using Arko soap and an adjustable razor at least 2x/week I probably will change the adjustable every week. So, I will commit to 8 shaves using Arko and a different adjustable for this month.

Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Great posting Joe...I echo you comments on jeff @jgreenepa
    Let's hope his just having some time out,and has no major health issues.

4. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I will continue with my current focus, 14 shaves left. I probably won't shave this weekend to avoid reopening the nick I got during my last shave.

Have a great day, gents!

Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. Trigger

Thanks Barry.

JACarbone and brit like this.
  6. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Happy April to the 30/30 club! Arko and adjustables, huh? Adjustables have me excited. Arko for an entire month? I have not been able to use ANY soap for more than 2 days at a time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Arko. It dries my skin too much if I use it regularly. I will certainly begin the month on-theme for my Saturday Morning Luxury Shave.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20220401_060805.jpg
    Above the Tie Atlas with R1 plate.
    Feather blade (5).
    Razorock 400 Plissoft synthetic brush.
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap.
    Timeless shave bowl.
    Royal Copenhagen cologne.

Awesome Fat Friday shave.

Happy Friday Everyone.

My tip for today......light pressure and let the razor do the work.

JACarbone, MrDaniel's, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. Trigger

@Hogie, Today was a Lavender kinda day with my Aristocrat copy by Parker and my 2nd shave with Carbon Steel Treet blade (2 uses and toss).

This razor is one of my favs
    [​IMG]

Hogie, I copied your post to bring it here. Just a reminder, please post your first shave of the month on the new thread of the month, instead of the previous month. Thanks. :)

9. Trigger

Glad you like the adjustable theme Eric. The Arko is optional, just as the adjustable. If one has Arko, then you can choose to use it or not. One day, two days, thirty days or not, the choice is one's prerogative. Also, you can use whatever you want and go for the Anything Goes Theme. Hope I cleared it up.

JACarbone, MrDaniel's and brit like this.
  10. Trigger

Great shave and terrific tip Danny. Have an awesome day!

11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Joe and you as well.

12. MrDaniel's

Great shave, Danny!
    Very nice, Joe. I like those carbon steel Treets.

Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. Trigger

Thanks Daniel, but that was Hogie's shave, not mine. I copied his post because he had it in the March thread where it should have been here. Sorry for the confusion.

Hogie, JACarbone, brit and 1 other person like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

friday work shave
    50's brit flare tip
    platinum
    simpson
    erasmic
    thayers

[​IMG]

Good morning gents.
    anything goes april works for me this month
    but i will use the arko and an adjustable;) on occasion.
    fine 2 passer in the usual manner,but..
    this flare tip has the brit rocket head and is a touch more efficient than my usual tech shave
    whiskers were 90% gone after the first pass.
    do i see the makings of a one pass BBS?:D
    not really a goal for me is i prefer comfort over anything else.
    my 2 pass near bbs work shaves have been problem free so far
    almost predictable..;)
    touch of twisted thayers lemon to finish.awesome

have a great April Fools Day everyone.
    :eatdrink047:

Hogie, palmolive fox, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  15. MrDaniel's

Ahh, alright, my bad. Still a great shave though!

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

If I can find my Agadir aftershave, I may call this Agadir April. I would say Anything Goes until then. But, glad to press on for another month. I have a shampoo and a bodywash, both from Agadir, so the aftershave would make me a person of Oudness. :). Joe, I remember you talkinabout asking us to go into more detail about our shaves. The good, the bad. I'll try to expand some on that persuasion. Course I already do "grade" my shaves. I'll work on explaining WHY a shave would get the grade I give it, As we all know, though, all my shaves are excellent, the question is just HOW excellent. April is probably the last full month that I would use cold-weather products, before going for Aqua Velva, Osage, frozen Stoylins, etc, for late spring through summer. . Anyway, here's to another great shave month :).

17. MrDaniel's

Great shave, Gary! Good razors those Flare tips.

Trigger, JACarbone and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Daniel.in my haste to downsize my collection i neglected to save a u.s version for comparison.;):eatdrink047:

Trigger, JACarbone and MrDaniel's like this.
  19. MrDaniel's

I only have the U.S. version, but my british Slim Twists and Tech are keeping it company.

brit, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Verry nice shave this morning with the same products I used yesterday and was BARELY satisfied. I always get great lather with Central Texas Soaps. Cheeks&Sideburns came out great. Slow and steady up North Porcupine Alley-good job. I go north-south on Central Porcupine. North-South all the way along South Porcupine (just above the jaw). I did get a "glorified Polka-Dot" at N. Cactus Nation, otherwise did very well down there. No Cuts, No Knicks, and the previously mentioned Pola Dot. The Clubman A.S. covered all bases in fine fashion. This gets a Super Duper Excellent grade, due to the glorified Polka-Dot. Mighta given it the best grade possible. I was very pleased overall...nice way to begin the month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.