Frankenrazor Fridays (or any day you wish).............

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by jimjo1031, Dec 3, 2021.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette New SC/Star Handle Razor
    Jewel Stainless Platinum Blade
    Semogue Boar Brush
    Colgate Shave Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Lustray Draggon Noir Eau De Toilette

Untitled.jpg

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I decided to make next week Frankenrazor Week. For me it will be Monday through Friday. I made a short video showing off my six Frankenrazors for next week.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is frankenrazor week for me. Today, I used my Enders Speed Frankenrazor. It is the Speedrazor with a wooden handle I made for it. I used a vintage Speed Blade with it. It was a little tuggy, but I got a good shave.
    sos220314.JPG

4. jimjo1031

Gem 1912/DIY 300 Win Mag Handle Razor
    Gem Stainless SE Blade
    Rubberset #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Viking Revolution Peppermint Eucalyptus Shave Cream
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue After Shave

Untitled.jpg

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The ladies can post their Mary Shelly razors here if the OP doesn’t mind. :angelic007:

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Cool thread.

7. jimjo1031

Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Wontshed #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Speick Shave Soap/M-Bomb
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Speick After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Gillette WW II Gold Tech/DIY Handle Razor
    Jewel Stainless Platinum Blade
    Czechoslovakian Triumph Boar (restored) Brush
    Stirling Bonaparte Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Stirling Bonaparte After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool Ji,nice handle.:eatdrink047:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary. Used a fatter rifle case for the fat handle look.

brit likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Yaqi Beast #2 variant
    I was reading some information on the Yaqi Beast razor on one of Forums threads and have recently bought some Yaqi heads and Flipside razor mostly for the handle and have never experienced a dual razor before. I have all the parts also to make the Beast, Variant #1 also from over the years of shaving.
    It is a nice razor for my Sunday Shave and thought a change up was needed and being the curious type assembled this Yaqi Beast 2 together, I have never seen this variant either and maybe a person's technique has matured enough to take on more blade feel, nothing over the top for blade exposure IMO. Gillette Fatboy or Slim on setting 9 is similar for blade exposure or blade feel IMO!
    The Flipside head has a scalloped side(mid range) and a open comb side(Mild to tame mid range3-4/10) and I bought another Mellon (Gold) head also on one of their sales and thought why not make a different variant after reading about the Beast.
    The Flipside razor design is similar to the Edwin Jagger DE89 base plate but with a closed comb on the opposite side for a safety bar. This style of razor has a lot of blade reveal on the bottom blade side so I put a blade shim underneath(needed?) to make it more rigid and choose a steep angle approach(riding the bar) thinking it would be better for this shave slightly more blade feel.
    So with these 2 heads and a handle(5mmX.8mm thread) you will get 5 different blade exposures(blade feel) ranging from mild>aggressive.
    Advantages
    -Different variations of blade feel mild to aggressive depending on choice of head configuration.
    - blade tab protection that Beast variant did not offer with its configuration.
    -5 different combinations of blade exposures with these 2 heads & any handle.
    -Fairly inexpensive if bought on sale.
    -Steep angle shaving for some who enjoy this method I recommend works well.
    -the comb side of the Yaqi Beast 2 works well on the chin and upper lip area and parts of the neck.
    -Very close comfortable shave, dolphin skin smooth BBS.
    -on the fly adjustable basically!
    Disadvantages
    -Not maybe for folks with sensitive skin! ?
    -Some mature technique skill when using the Beast 2 configuration.

Yaqi Mellon head(mild range 3/10)......+..Yaqi Flipside head(Mild 3-4 and mid range 5/10).=Yaqi Beast 2 variant 6-8/10 range
    Yaqi Beast #2 Yaqi Mellon head.jpg + Yaqi Beast #2 Yaqi Flipside.jpg = Yaqi Beast #2- the new real McKoy.jpg
    Yaqi beast 2 scalloped side on yaqi flipside base plate..jpg
    Yaqi Beast 2 open comb side of the Yaqu flipside base plate. - Copy.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

DE SOTD, Sunday April 3rd 2022, A different kind of shave this morning with a Yaqi Beast 2 variant. Good change up for a Sunday and was putting some of my Yaqi razors to a different use in experimenting.

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 variant- Mfg 2022, Mellon head top cap with a Flipside base plate, lots of blade feel, nice smooth shave. Nothing over the top for blade exposure or feel. Feels like Gillette Fatboy on setting 9 for blade feel. Excellent shave this morning on 24 hr growth.
    Blade :Gillette 7oClock SP, black(2) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth with reasonable
    Soap :Razorock Lavender- great lavender scent with excellent lather qualities.(discontinued)
    Brush :Yaqi 24mm timber wolf mysterious space handle- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock King Louis AS with aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 variant with a 7oClock SP.
    SOTD April 3 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, April 8th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 variant- assembled 2022> excellent upper mid range, good blade feel, inexpensive and works well, not the most beauteous razor to look at but will out perform a lot of razors + great sizzling audio feed back is awesome. One side is tamer than the other because of the Yaqi flipside(dual) base plate having 2 different configurations on the safety bar. Excellent shave today!
    Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(4) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth.
    Soap :Tabac, light flowery scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush :Yaqi 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock American barber with aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 with a 7oClock black.
    SOTD April 8 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

saturday
    new sc/french thin handle
    platinum
    mr ee 10098
    mwf
    jaguar

[​IMG]

jimjo1031 and Ron R like this.
  14. jimjo1031

Gillette Old Type OC/DIY 30-30 Handle Razor
    Gillette Nacet Stainless Blade
    Surrey Boar/Navy Brass Handle
    Sundance Soapery Spicy Bay Rum/Menthol Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Shulton Old Spice/M-Bomb After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Ron R like this.
  15. jimjo1031

Clix E-Z-Flo 500/Heavy Handle Razor
    Omega 11711/NY Yankees Boar Brush
    Chiseled Face Santa Paula/M-Bomb Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Avon Brisk Spice After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  16. jimjo1031

Gillette New LC/Colonial General Handle Razor
    FS Extra Dense Two Band Badger Brush
    Vintage Klar/M-Bomb Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Shulton Old Spice/M-Bomb After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ron R and brit like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Gillette WW II Gold Tech/DIY Handle Razor
    Jewel Platinum Stainless Blade
    FS Extra Dense Badger Brush
    Chiseled Face Pine Tar Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Avon Deep Woods After Shave

Untitled.jpg

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thursday, May 19 2022. Final test shave with Aggressive razors for a while.

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 - Med higher aggression range- Combination of 2 different Yaqi razor heads(melon head top cap, flipside base plate) this combination makes for a very nice shave with very manageable blade feel with a steep approach(riding the bar), safety bar side is aggressive side and the open comb side is tamer for working the chin and other sensitive areas. Instant adjustable with a 180 degree flip. I like this combination for a very close shave using a short hand (2 3/4 inches). It will give most razors a run for quality shave results any day with the right technique & from my limited experiences using aggressive razors over the years. This razor is for fellows who enjoy some blade feel IMO and shaves most of the time giving a excellent shave issue free results.

Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(3) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap :Ach Brito Lavanda cream- very nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi 24mm dandelion synthetic- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + excellent painter.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave(24hrs growth) with my Yaqi beast 2 with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. jimjo1031

Gillette Old Type OC/DIY Ball End Handle Razor
    Surrey Boar/Navy Brass Handle Brush
    English Leather Shave Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    English Leather Cologne Splash

Untitled.jpg

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It sounds like I need to resurrect "FrankenFatty". A broken all to hell, razor, that had parts of other Fatboys donated to its resurrection. As well as some machined internal parts, from a machine shop, that makes micro tools and machined parts, for the aerospace industry.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Ron R, brit and jimjo1031 like this.