MWF is THIRSTY!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jay_gatz, Apr 6, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I have the MWF in the ceramic bowl, and have used it for years. I have had it crack and be a bit dry when it goes out of rotation for several months. Now, whenever I use it, I leave water on the surface, and not a small amount. Perhaps a tablespoon or two. No matter what, within a day, it has absorbed all the water. I have the lid on, so it is not evaporating, but man, it sure likes a drink. No more problem with it drying out though. Anyone else try this? Mine has been grated and pressed down in the bowl so the extra space around the puck is gone, and it completely fills the ceramic bowl.

lightcs1776, Hogie, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I soaked it once for about 24 hours and it soaked up all the water and expanded. It was good but then after sitting for months, the puck dried out, shrank and now sits cracked

Frijolero likes this.
  3. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant Active Member

I am currently using puck #4 and never had issues with this soap, nor did I ever see the need to grate or soak.
    In my experience, it does crack, regardless how often you use it. The longer the pause, the larger the cracks.
    I used to wet the soap once in a while but stopped as I found no benefit to this. Mind you, I use it almost daily.

With all the tallow soaps being discontinued and lost forever, MWF has become my best value soap. It checks all the boxes to be on top, in my books anyway.

Oh, almost forgot, I always use larger containers than the diameter of the soap. That space between the wall of the container and the soap is a must.

nav, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

See, I like my soap to go wall to wall. MWF performs well for me, I was just making an observation. Not a complaint and hope it does not come across that way. As for the tallow, we live in a great time of artisan soap makers that are doing some great things with tallow bases. I have been really impressed with noble otter out of houston as well as central Texas soaps. Ya know, we love the beef in the lone star state. If you have not tried them, I’d be happy to send you some.

Frijolero and VerbaVolant like this.
  5. VerbaVolant

Same here, just stating my observations and limited experience. Thank you for the offer. I just started exploring the artisan market and I agree, their soaps are fantastic.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/planofmans-mwf-hydration-method.46346/

The pictures in that thread are sadly lost to time, but yes, I've experimented. The puck will swell in width to fit the ceramic dish that is made by MWF. The puck also nearly doubles it's height, and makes lathering a breeze. I've never found it necessary to add more water if the puck is used regularly. And yes, it will still crack. This method only speeds up the process of natural expansion. The soap will do this anyways over time and regular use.

If you don't need to do this, it's not necessary or desired because you will lose some of the soap's glycerin (edit: lanolin) by soaking it. Your method is certainly better in this regard, though I'm not sure if I could put up with the puck sliding around the bowl for a week or two.

Edit: that whole thread is worth a read. You'll learn how to infuse MWF with tobacco, and see different opinions on the soap, the process, and all that jazz. I've had my ceramic bowl for about 10 years, never dropped it or cracked it. Still looks brand new.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    Pedigree and Frijolero like this.
  7. VerbaVolant

I believe cracking is a sign of stress... some sort of separation anxiety. :)

Worst if you end up with a traumatized one.

8. VerbaVolant

My pucks never slide.

The night before the shave, put water in the empty container and drop the puck. Slosh/swirl it around a few times, press it down while centering on the bottom, then drain the excess water.
    Leave it till next morning, when the soap is stuck to the bottom and never slides.

Easy. It just takes a bit of preparation.

Hogie, Frijolero and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

upload_2022-4-7_0-21-53.png

this puck has been in this heavy glass bowl for near 2 years..never shunk or cracked.used occasionally.

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really enjoy MWF. I kept my last puck in an empty Stirling Soap container. It was pretty much the only soap I used last year.

With regular use and a sealed container, I had absolutely no issues with the soap.

It was quick and easy to use and left the face feeling great.