How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BlueShaver, Oct 4, 2019.

?

How do you make your coffee?

1. Drip (Percolator)

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. French press (cafetiere )

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Capsule (Nespresso-ish)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Espresso machine

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. AeroPress

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Moka Pot

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. I drink Instant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  8. Coffee is for cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What is drip if it isn't just an automatic pour over? ;)
    Our current maker has a basket filter, but I do prefer a cone filter. It concentrates the grounds a bit more without over-extracting the coffee.

2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

3 methods of coffee around our world.

My coffee: Bodum Pour Over (inexpensive Chemex clone), with a temperature kettle (so I can stop the heating at 206 degrees).

Family coffee: Technivorm Moccamaster, basket water temp averages ~204-206 degrees. Great unit, a little fiddly though with pieces parts.

Travel Trailer: Bonavita 1900 (the Technivorm replaced, originally in the house). Also a great unit, but picky with our hard DFW area water, needed cleaning often, which is why it was relegated to the trailer where we always use bottled water.

Also have a Moka pot, rarely use, but it's a great method too.

Coffee beans, lately we've switched to coffeeam.com. Decent pricing, claims to be (and it bears out to our palate) very freshly roasted. Family prefers their Hazelnut, I usually get the Sumatra. Order early week, get it 2 days later via FedX, free shipping over $60.

battle.munky and analog like this.
  3. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

:signs011: Big fan of cone filters, I can tell the slight difference between the Technivorm (cone) and Bonavita (basket). Of course, slightly more grounds in the basket cures the issue.

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just picked this up last week. I use it for my evening blast of caffeine Been getting it dialed in. I like it much better than my French press. WAY easier to clean. I also use my Corning Percolator on the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Double posted a picture

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The best coffee I ever had was in my younger years when my Mom used a Corning stove top percolator. Can't remember what brand of coffee, but it sure was good.

battle.munky and twhite like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I get Peet’s Whole bean from Costco. I have grown fond of the Major Dickinson. Nice dark roast. Works well in my Percolator and this Moka Still trying to dial in my grind for the Moka. I think I like a very fine grind espresso fine.

battle.munky, analog and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I just never had the knack at that time to tell when it's done. My Mom always told me, just remove it when the color looks good. Didn't help me at all, but I've been thinking of getting another one and just experiment with percolating times. I never remembered her timing it, she just knew when it was ready.

battle.munky likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Mine is electric. So it is very easy. The trick is a very course grind. Then it does not get bitter.

battle.munky and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@twhite yup, Major Dickason's good stuff.
    (yes - Dickason is the correct spelling, for those who may search for it)

battle.munky, PLANofMAN and twhite like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I need to remember the correct spelling. Their French roast is decent also in a percolator.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Their Sumatran is to die for. Major Dickason's is a close second.

Everything else is a distant third.
    Screenshot_20220406-182602_Reddit.jpg

battle.munky and twhite like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Looks like I will be picking up a bag of something new for this weekend. I will report back.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Only do it if you like your coffee to have an deep earthy flavor. Most coffee is dry processed. Sumatran is wet hull processed. It gives it a unique flavor you won't find in other coffees. It's dried 3 times before roasting, and the slow drying process is what gives it a full body and low acidity.

It's the difference between dry aged steak vs. regular steak. One has a "beefier" flavor.

With Sumatran coffee, you can just about taste the Indonesian jungle.

Edit: Costco also sells Kirkland brand Sumatra online. It's pretty decent, but the roasters at Peet's are just that much more skilled. They taste nothing alike. Ditto for the Starbucks Sumatra.

twhite likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Brewing some goodness
    [​IMG]

battle.munky and richgem like this.