Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm Alternatives

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by arvanlaar, Apr 11, 2022.

1. arvanlaar

arvanlaar New Member

Hey All,

So since I started my wet shave journey 8+ years ago, I have never used anything other then Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm. I have no particular qualms with it other than it does take some time to dry. I have seen others say it's a poor aftershave choice though.

In terms of my face, after shaving I do get some nice burning though rarely do I get a rash now since I started using pre-shave oil. My face isn't overly dry although my chin and upper lip do get a tad dry if I stop shaving regularly for a bit. Scent wise I am fairly open

Since it's the only product I have ever used, I really can't compare it and k ow if I am missing out on other products that are better. Now I only have one condition, I need suggestions to be budget options. Money is super tight right now and I can't splurge for luxury items. I would not like to spend more than $15 CAD (~$10 USD) although I am sure there are a ton on amazing products above that price range. I just can't afford them :)

I really appreciate any suggestions you all may have!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8 years and still getting burned?
    Sounds like way too much pressure.

Anyway, have you ever tried witch hazel? No burn, dries quick, scent (what little there is) is gone in seconds, and I've never had a feeling of it drying my face.

3. arvanlaar

arvanlaar New Member

Sorry, my terminology is incorrect. I meant to say, my face still has a little post shave fire sensation? lol. Not sure if that makes sense. I'm assuming everyone gets that hence the need for aftershave? Maybe I am wrong?

I have not tried that. Are you saying to use straight Witch Hazel? I know my dog has a medicine for her ears and its made from witch hazel and the smell is definitely not one of my favorites. That might be some other things in it that cause the bad smell. Maybe I can go to a natural store and take a whiff of what it smells like.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Try Lucky Tiger. It is alcohol free, has witch hazel and other things and has a very light citrus scent.

5. swarden43

Yup. Straight witch hazel.

Ijustmissedthe50s and arvanlaar like this.
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I like Prorasso Balm with Aloe and Vitamin E. They call it "Blue Balm," but I notice that there is another "blue" called Azur Lime (never tried it). Blue Balm might not be easy to find right now. Sold out at Italian Barber. Blue Balm has a nice scent that doesn't interfere with cologne or aftershave, alcohol-free and it is very soothing to my skin.
    https://www.italianbarber.com/colle...cohol-free-aftershave-balm-aloe-and-vitamin-e

Ijustmissedthe50s and arvanlaar like this.
  7. arvanlaar

arvanlaar New Member

Confirmed with my wife, and indeed, I witch hazel is not a smell I enjoy at all.

8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

To the bottle of witch hazel I add aloe vera, glycerine, and a few drops of tea tree oil extract. If you are into cooling menthol, you could also add that. In the winter I will usually apply plain ol' aloe vera as an inexpensive and scentless balm.

9. swarden43

I've added drops of EO to make it into a scented aftershave.

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I used Nivea sensitive balm for a few years and really enjoyed it but on one of the other forums the fellows where using Hyaluronic acid to moisturize the skin after a shave and bought some of that, it was kind of pricy($20.00 Canadian for 2 OZ). All I would do is put a dollop of Nivea sensitive balm in the palm of my hand and add 2 drops of HA and rub together and apply to the skin. What a difference that made in a nice hydrated skin tone but cost to much IMO.
    Then I noticed a few fellows who use CeraVe moisturising lotion(scentless) and it has the Hyaluronic acid with 3 ceramides already mixed in their formula and it turns out just as good as it gets and have been using it for about a year now.
    I knew CeraVe made good products because I used their hand bar cleanser as a pre shave for years and brush wash my whole face with it and that is a nice feeling and a bar of that soap lasts a long time with a 5-10 second load is all that is needed with a Dedicated Yaqi cashmere synthetic brush cleaning and hydrating the whiskers.(I'm a spoiled shaver:))
    CeraVe moisturizing lotion dry's resonably quick and does not bother me in anyway and because it is scentless it does not affect my aftershave scents if used.(great product & priced reasonable IMO)
    Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg
    Have some great shaves!

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The charred newspaper smell fades after a minute or two, and there are scented options available, including DIY alternatives.

Doing a mix of vegetable glycerin, aloe vera, and witch hazel in roughly equal amounts will give you a cheap aftershave balm with better performance than any commercial product, imo.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Two drops is overkill. My wife uses one teeny tiny drop for her entire face.

She has that CeraVe stuff too. Might have to give that a try one of these days.

Frijolero, brit and Ron R like this.
  13. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Bulldog balms are quite nice.
    [​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  14. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Thanks for mentioning this simple aftershave balm. I love trying stuff like this, so I got the ingredients: alcohol-free witch hazel, pure aloe vera gel, and glycerin.
    A mixture of equal parts did feel soothing on my face, but it felt sticky after it dried. I assume that's the aloe vera gel, which is kind of thick and sticky and slimy.
    Is there a different kind of aloe that you used that doesn't have that texture?

So, I increased the amount of witch hazel in the mixture, making it about 50% witch hazel, 25% aloe, 25% glycerin. That dries on my face with a nicer feeling. I could use this mixture and be happy with it.

Thanks again for the idea! I'll keep trying different mixtures.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Stirling Soap Co. in amazing and I believe is available in Canada.

Their witch hazel comes in many scents and are extremely enjoyable!

:)

Frijolero, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've never made a mix like that, to be honest. It's just the best of the commercial formulas seem to use a combination of at least two of the ingredients, and all of those ingredients are beneficial to the skin. If I was making it for myself as a skin repair formula, after a particularly rough shave, I probably would use roughly equal amounts, and rinse off the residue after a few minutes. When I wrote the above post, I was only thinking of the skin, and not how it would feel on the face.

For a daily skin tonic/aftershave, I would probably do a mix like this: 90% witch hazel, 5% glycerin, and 5% aloe vera juice, rather than gel.

Edit: ...and I would use the alcohol version of witch hazel. It's much cheaper, and you still want the disinfectant properties of the alcohol.

Alcohol for disinfectant
    Witch hazel tightens the skin
    Glycerin is a humectant and helps your skin retain moisture
    Aloe Vera contains many vitamins and antioxidants and other skin goodies.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    swarden43, MoAllen and brit like this.