Bottom Tier of Modern DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 23, 2022.

1. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I recently tried a Shark blade for the first time. My impression was the same: just not sharp enough and I felt whiskers being pulled! I stopped in the middle of my first pass and switched to something else. I recall similar pulling with Derby.

Enrico and brit like this.
  2. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Which Shark? Chromium, Stainless, or Platinum? I have tried Stainless and Platinum, but never Chromium. Stainless and Platinum are good for me, so maybe it was Chrome?

Hogie and brit like this.
  3. MoAllen

It was the Chrome version. I haven't tried the other Shark versions.

brit likes this.
  4. MoAllen

Voskhod is a blade that I have been unable to like, despite trying it several times over a few years. Feels rough and dull on my face, and I can't get through a shave.

5. brit

brit in a box

it's sounding like some of these blades listed are just suited to folks with lighter/finer beard types,some fols need sharper blades to cut their courser whiskers.not necessarily bottom tier.

BamaT, Hogie, Aztecmike and 1 other person like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

BamaT, brit and MoAllen like this.
  7. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

:signs011: Makes perfect sense Gary...One man's trash is another man's treasure.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i mean,if only one side was sharpened or something then..or continuously poor quality control..or i am naive..:D

Aztecmike likes this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. I have been able to use most blades with no issues. Some I get 2 shaves and toss. Some I get 4 shaves and toss. Feather blades I can shave with for a week! I do have light whiskers even at my age of 66! I have not tried Voskhod yet. I had good luck with the Treet "Carbon Steel" blades as well.

brit likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Voskhod blades actually work fairly decently in a slant razor. It's the only razor style that I've been able to get a good shave from those blades. That being said, there are dozens of other blades that perform better in slants, but if you need to use up those Voskhod blades, that is an option worth exploring.

BamaT, brit, MoAllen and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have the perfect razor for them blades! My Fatip open comb slant. DSCN6003.JPG

PLANofMAN, brit and MoAllen like this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Or the Parker Semi-Slant
    DSCN6012.JPG

Enrico and brit like this.
  13. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I think Blades are one of the most "YMMV" variables in traditional shaving. When first starting out, I noticed differences based on razor, etc in a more pronounced manner than I do now. I have my list that I use, and enough of what I like to let my heirs fight over them.

brit, Enrico, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I like Astra SP, as previously mentioned, Gillette Blue Platinums, Blue labs, and also Silver Blues. Anyone have any idea how the Lord Platinums would compare to those? I noticed those were something like $6 US on Amazon. Astra SPs are only $11 and change. Don’t mind paying the extra to get the Astras, but also wouldn’t mind having another blade option, especially at that price. Unless I missed it, I haven’t seen the Lord Platinum make anyone’s bottom tier list.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    brit and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I believe I recently tried Lords, but not sure if they were platinums though I did like them.

:)

brit and BamaT like this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Personally, I have only gotten along with Astras, Feathers, and Nacets.

Notabley bad-any thing-derby, dorco, shark, merkur, rockwell, most gilletes ( aside from nacets) ,any of the Russian blades, and a swath of generic lesser known blades.

BamaT and brit like this.