The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I found this video. I have a 12,000 Naniwa stone on the way. I already have a strop (Shave Nation). I plan on getting a leveling stone soon too. I still need to get an 8000/4000 stone. I get the stones from https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/ (good prices) also got a holder coming. I have been watching LOTS of videos!

Pedigree and jgreenepa like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

You’ll need a 1k stone for bevel setting. The Chosera/Naniwa or Shapton Kuromaku 1k are both good choices. Go for whichever is cheaper. The 12k is great for touch ups! I strongly recommend you watch GSSIXGUN’s (@gssixgun) videos. Glen’s been honing much longer than Dr Matt. I have issues with DrMatt’s ‘tap and wobble test’ where he advocates grinding down the spine of a “warped” razor. Ask Steve (@Steve56), Joe (@JACarbone), or Scott (@DaltonGang) about Glen if you need more support!

3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that "Wobble" video where he claims he fixed that razor. This is why I posted this one. I was wondering. I like others I have found.

Karl G likes this.
  4. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Found him. First video is a good one!

jgreenepa, Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The problem with the wobble test is that a properly ground smiling blade will wobble - it’s supposed to. The reason is that if the edge smiles, it’s wider in the middle and a little less wide at the toe and heel. So in order to keep the bevel the same width along the edge, the spine has to be wider (thicker) in the middle of the blade. And so it wobbles.

You can grind the spine flat, but when you hone the razor you’ll either remove the smile or the bevel will no longer be the same width along the edge.

And yes, Glen does a great job.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Hogie and jgreenepa like this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Steve, that’s an excellent example.

Steve56 and Hogie like this.
  7. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Steve, Filly compared to CVH?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa likes this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hans, Most CVH are stiffer because they aren’t this wide. The Gen 1 Especials are very thin at the edge, and the edge can flex a little. The only CVH that I have that’s close is a No 140 which is 7/8 but the blade is a little shorter (which I like), which makes it feel a little stiffer.

As far as shaving ‘feel’ goes, I’d probably choose the Especial because it isn’t as stiff. As far as shave quality goes, they are both about the same. You will need to touch the Especial up more often. Filarmonica also made a Sub Cero, ‘ice hardened’ steel that’s more like the hard Swedish steel that we’re familiar with. I got 153 shaves from a Sub Cero 14.

Having said all that, if you prefer stiffer blades like a half hollow or quarter hollow, a Filarmonica 14 is not for you.

lottenhem, TestDepth and jgreenepa like this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

This Witte & Co will be a nice shaver. The Jones & Co will probably be the easiest to shave with due to the rounded corner of the blade. They both look nice. No chips from the blades and very little corrosion. I cleaned the blades with 0000 steel wool and then oiled them with mineral oil to protect them. I have a 12,000 stone arriving maybe today along with a holder. I got a strop from Shave Nation along with chromium oxide crayon. I been watching lots of videos and have watched all of GSSIXGUN videos.

I keep getting better with the Feather DX and now do a 2-pass shave using it to get really close. I don't need to shave for 2 days now after shaving with the DX.

DSCN6416a.JPG DSCN6416.JPG

lottenhem, brit, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My last purchases will be here Friday says tracking. I can hardly wait to see them in person. Zebra was won for $30 while the Puma went a bit higher. Still less than I see most Puma selling for tho. s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg !

brit, TestDepth, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My last 2 purchases came today. They both look like brand new! VERY well cared for razors. The Puma is gorgeous! So is the Brazilian Rosewood case. Well worth what I paid! The scales on both are excellent! Coated in mineral oil

DSCN6468.JPG DSCN6469.JPG DSCN6470.JPG

Karl G, DaltonGang, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I hate to tell you @Hogie bit those Puma cases are bakelite, lol.Some of them do look very good though, and they’re one of the nicest razor coffins ever made.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yeppers, good old Brazilian Plastic. I have a few. But, they do look nice.

Karl G, jgreenepa and Steve56 like this.
  14. DaltonGang

If you keep your eyes on Ebay France, you can find quite a few Puma Razors there. I purchased a couple there, for next to nothing. If you can get them to ship it to you, in a padded envelope, the shipping charges are usually around 5-7 euros. Many French sellers don't like mailing to the USA, I suspect they think that we don't deserve their used stuff. I believe Puma Razors were marketed for France. At least most that I have seen are.

Karl G, jgreenepa and Hogie like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I don’t know why that is about the shipping Scott, but what they usually want you to do is contact them about the shipping cost. I’ve never had a problem messaging the seller and asking politely. I do speak a bit of French so that maybe helps. I suspect, but do not know, that the reason is that US buyers win an auction then don’t want to pay the shipping. I have seen one auction recently that stated ‘No shipping to US’. The other ‘warnings’ include a statement to contact the vendor about shipping.

Karl G, jgreenepa and Hogie like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I contact them, prior to bidding, and message them in French. I am polite, but over the last year or two, many many put in that they will not ship to the USA. Every once in a while, one will change their mind. I know what the cost to ship to the USA is, and some will say it costs 40-50 euros, even after I tell them what the costs would be. It is about 50/50 with them being nice. Many selling from the rural areas of France are more pleasant to deal with. I've been buying from France since about 2016, and it just seems recently, that the attitudes have changed. Granted, it's been 6 or so months since I've tried my hand at EBay France. Maybe the tide has turned, again.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s kind of strange, France is the only country doing this.

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I've done a lot of traveling, and it doesn't surprise me. I just got off the eBay France looking at straights. It looks like more than 50-60% refuse. Oh, and they will refuse to send to Scotland too, much of the time. I've tried. Too bad, because some of the really nice NOS Straights, are selling for next to nothing, because the sellers refuse to ship to certain countries that want those razors.
    We just need to find a sympathetic TSD member, who lives in France, to do some bidding for us.

jgreenepa and Hogie like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I believe that there are buying services like buyee for Japan available for EU but don’t know. I’ve rarely seen anything that I would bother with that doesn’t ship US. The items that do ship US are high end items wanting the best price, or things so ugly and cr@p that you’ll take a chance selling it internationally. And it sometimes works.

I needed a Le Jaguar scale emblem. I found a razor on eBay France that shipped internationally and got it for $12, The 4/8 blade was shot, the scales were shot, but the scale badge was intact!

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oh, and they will refuse to send to Scotland too, much of the time.

I suspect @Billyfergie might have something to do with this … rofl.