SoS: May 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Stirling Mentholated Pre Shave Soap
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Junjie/Wilkinson Sword day 10
    Stirling Glacial Citron SS
    Prep ASB
    Stirling Glacial Citron AS Splash

Exactly the same kind of bone chilling shave as yesterday but with a different scent. The Glacial Citron soap and aftershave smell so beautiful - the scent is a blend of lemon, lime, grapefruit, and tangerine, the soap’s tallow formula promotes such wonderful, slick protective lather, the menthol sensation is so bloody intense, and the skincare is so brilliant. The Prep and the Glacial Citron aftershave were a beautiful finish. Smoother than silk from three glorious passes!

Enjoy your weekend - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

CDED94F7-3A2A-4276-B7C4-4484E71EC9EC.png
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, MAY 20, 2022

Woke up to an overcast morning! What better way to brighten things up than to have a great shave! Since it was day two with the French Vib’Raz, on loan from my namesake, @jmudrick, I decided to give it another go on the dome. Yesterday’s effort led to a nick on the back of the head when I rode the cap. Riding the bar eliminated the issue. Unlike most of you out there, I never used carts with the exception of the Omnishaver, which resulted in a whopping case of ingrown hairs. So pressing a cutting tool into my scalp seems counterintuitive to a guy who spent close to half a century shaving with the same Schick Krona. Although in those days shaving consisted of a single WTG pass using canned Barbasol.

In thinking about yesterday’s shave, I thought that perhaps the issue was using a Feather blade. Since that’s mostly what’s readily at hand, I had to go digging for my Voskhods, a very smooth shaving, medium sharp DE blade. Loaded it up and started riding the cap. Well it wasn’t the blade! One small nick in the same vicinity on the back of the noggin, and aching shoulder joints probably just implicates “old man-itis”. The French Vib’Raz is definitely a very interesting design, just not for me. A return again to riding the cap on the sides and top of the noggin resulted in no issues. I confess to grabbing my faithful Bakelite handled Shake Sharp for a third ATG pass resulting in the kind of closeness I like in my noggin shaves.

The custom extra hollow 7/8 Kravchenko Zodiac was just the ticket for this morning’s shave. I’m happy that Yurii has reopened his business and is again producing the straight razors so many in our international shave community know and love. Many of his current production consist of blades exceeding 8/8 in width, which just aren’t for me. This particular razor was built to my exact specifications at 7/8, extra hollow with a pinch grip in the tang that I really like. A touchup on the Gokumyo 20k last night, and all was right with the world! Three passes with this wonderful straight razor delivered a blissful state of dolphin smoothness to match my dome. Velveteen smooth from neck to noggin!

RAZOR: Kravchenko Custom Pinchgrip 7/8 (Mug), French Vib’Raz (Dome)
    BLADE: Voskhod DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE #005 Aluminum Handled SynBad Knot
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime (Indian Version).

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Old Type OC/DIY Ball End Handle Razor
    Gillette Nacet Stainless Blade
    Surrey Boar/Navy Brass Handle Brush
    English Leather Shave Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    English Leather Cologne Splash

Untitled.jpg

4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy / Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge
    Yaqi Synthetic
    Chiseled Face / Summer Storm 20220519_232249.jpg

8/19/1942

5. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Friday Shave

Lather: TSD Lanolin Sensitive soap
    Brush: restored Dubl Duck
    Razor: 1956 Gillette Red Tip
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword
    After: witch hazel and aloe
    Cold water shave
    :Animatedfrozensmily:

First outing for my restored Dubl Duck brush. I like this handle - the cream and red colors are pleasing and the proportions feel nice in the hand. It has the shape of a barbershop brush but it's slightly smaller. The handle was hollow and way too light in weight before, but I always fill hollow handles with epoxy putty (JB Weld "WaterWeld") so now it has a satisfying solid feeling. The knot is a 24mm synthetic silvertip style that I got from an Etsy seller a couple of years ago.

The shave this morning was smooth and comfortable.

20220520_073127~2_copy_1280x995.jpg

6. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOTD

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
    Pre: None
    Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Have a great day!
    IMG_9695.jpg

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another fine shave with the Tuckmar. A lot to like about this razor and I’m digging the malachite wedge Glen put in. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Tuckmar 6/8
    Castle Forbes Lavender After Shave Balm

B919B171-4AFE-4A3A-B0CE-55C1FAA2D277.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Friday, May 20 2022

Razor : Valet Auto- strop, C1 Canadian variant- Mfg 1920's, excellent mid range, I modified the gap to 6-7/1000 from 11/1000 of a inch to make it more smoother a shave, I get great shaves with this razor with the closer gap and is a joy to own.
    Blade : Modified Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer rapier - nice scent with excellent lather qualities, excellent soap designed by Master soap creations is my understanding for Yaqi.
    Brush : Yaqi mysterious space 24mm silvertip, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle scrubber +excellent lather painter. One of my best brushes from Yaqi for natural hair.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Valet- Auto strop with a coated Gem blade.
    SOTD May 20 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Saturday SOTD
    [​IMG]

Razor: GEM Junior Bar\ER Turkish Walnut
    Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D6)
    Brush: Shavemac Extra Stuffed D01 24mm Flattop
    Bowl: Black Ship Grooming 4.5"
    Pre-Shave Scrub: Holy Black True Grit – Coffee
    Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Rainforest
    Shave Soap: Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire
    Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
    Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  10. brit

brit in a box

saturday
    4th gen aristocrat
    nacet
    soc tai
    ach brito
    gillette

20220520_170954_edited.jpg

11. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Saturday
    Gillette Flare Tip (TV Special) / Gillette Platinum
    Stirling Sandalwood
    Dscometic 2 band Silvertip 20220510_132220.jpg

8/19/1942

12. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

SOTD : 21st May 2022.

1.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Lynx Africa Body Wash.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face & Head
    Chantry Lavender Goat's Milk Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: LEA Classic Sensitive Shaving Cream.
    Blade : Schick Japanese Twin.(D1)
    Razor: Schick I1 Injector. 1955-58
    Postcard: Parakeet from Carracas.

Cold water Face & Head Wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face & Head Rinse. / Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel ./Milton Lloyd The Man Silver EdT.

Greetings,

(Face & head shave.)

A new shave set up to start the weekend...Maiden shave with the Schick I1 Injector razor which was kindly gifted to me by a fellow member of TSR Shaving forum (UK) along with a fresh Schick Twin Injector blade, with it's magazine containing a few extra blades, the LEA classic shaving cream and last but not least the Parakeet from Carracas Postcard of which i will added into my collage glass clip frame of other postcards i have received from family & friends over the years that is hung on my kitchen wall.

I shall be using the Schick I1 & Schick Japanese Twin blade with all my Shave's throughout the week to adjust and familiarize myself with them.

The Lea Classic sensitive Cream i found superb. It provided a wonderful slick protection with no drying out issues inbetween each pass. The sandalwood scent is different comparing it to the Proraso sandalwood scent it's more of a light fresh sweet scent, with a nice mild menthol kick feels cooling which could be used all year round...I will purchase the matching splash in the near future.
    What instantly impressed me about the Schick I1 was it's immaculate condition... Like the Schick G type i found my shaving angle which feels quite natural i instantly felt comfortable and at ease.
    The audio feedback you get from the razor make's the razor sound more aggressive than it actually is.

The Schick Japanese Twin blades are incredibly smooth and efficient comparing them with the Parker SS & the Personna PTFE SS...Very impressive.
    As i have mentioned many time's in my postings i love the audio feedback and feel you get from vintage SE & injector razors. It's a very satisfying sound and more importantly it's reminding me that i'm using the correct shaving angle.

A close comfortable face & head shave with no errors to report....Finishing the shave off with a few small squirts of Milton Lloyd The Man Silver EdT to the chest & pulse points.

My face & precious swede are feeling silky smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

13. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Saturday’s Shave

[​IMG]

Monocero Husaria SB / Nacet
    Elite Razor Ivory over Pastel Swirl 24mm Boar
    Noble Otter Firefighter Limited Edition Shave Soap & Aftershave

14. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Oceanbrass Stateroom Brass Razor
    Voskhod Teflon Blade
    Captain's Choice Lime Shave Cream
    Yaqi 2 Band
    Aloe Vera
    Dana Canoe
    Oceanbrass staterom.JPG

15. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Saturday morning:

L’Oréal Men Expert Facial Wash
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Junjie/Wilkinson Sword day 11
    MSC Vintage Spice SS
    CutiBase Moisturizer
    MSC Vintage Spice AS Splash

I’m in love with this soap and aftershave because the scent is so beautiful - as I’ve said many times, it’s an exact copy of the original Shulton Old Spice in every way so Fernando really nailed it. The soap is tallow based so the lather is so thick, rich, super slick as well as protective, and the skincare is brilliant. The CutiBase moisturizer works so well as a balm, it’s completely unscented, and the Vintage Spice aftershave is witch hazel based, it feels so soothing, and the gorgeous scent lasts for hours. What a cracking good shave this was!

Enjoy your weekend - be well and safe!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos220521.JPG
    Saturday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #423
    H2 Travel Tech
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Granddad's Blend AS

The Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap lathered well with the Jayaruh #423 Badger Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the H2 Travel Tech Razor with a Gillette Silver Blue Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Granddad's Blend AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

17. Thorsten69

Thorsten69 Well-Known Member

Vintage SotD
    Vintage Plisson - Shaving Brush.
    Vintage Gillette - Shaving Cream.
    Vintage Gillette Aristocrat (1934, first TTO One-Piece) - Safety Razor.
    Vintage 4711 SIR Champaca - After Shave.
    Vintage 4711 SIR Champaca - EdC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

C45D58EE-67CA-4E77-9947-630635F0728F.jpeg SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, MAY 21, 2022

How nice to wake up to a bright sunny day! The bride and I will be meeting a Serbian friend, Mila, for a Farmer’s Market outing in Bucks County, Pa. about an hour away. Absolutely fabulous shave with my Wilbert Cutlery 9/16. Wilbert Cutlery was a house brand used by Sears Roebuck & Co. for their upscale knives and razors from 1908 - 1921. Sears developed a reputation for well-built quality tools that started with the Wilbert Cutlery brand and later transferred to the broader “Craftsmen” brand of tools which first appeared in their catalogue in 1927. The brand was finally acquired by Stanley Black & Decker from Sears Holdings in 2017 for that very reputation.

The razor I shaved with this morning is the Wilbert Cutlery ‘Regal’ model. My friend Sean (@Purvis) introduced me to the model about a year or so ago with one of his beautifully photographed SOTD images featuring it. Sears offered personalized name engraving on the blank side of the ‘Regal’ blade. This particular model was subcontracted to the esteemed German straight razor maker, Boker, who sold the exact same model minus the “Regal” engraving and Wilbert Cutlery label. The three pass shave this morning with it was superb.

My noggin shave featured what I like to call my FrankenFamex, as it includes the Famex baseplate, a Rockwell 6S top cap, and an “Above the Tie” Atlas handle. The following background was excerpted from a series of postings at TSD on this safety razor by my friend, Jeff (@jmudrick). The Famex safety razor patents date to 1929 and 1933. While the Famex bears a passing resemblance to the LeCoq Cagehead it is in fact a different beast.

Unlike the LeCoq, the Famex blade gap is adjustable through cage compression via handle twisting. The two pass ATG noggin shave delivered was superb and customized from its mild setting through its more efficient one. I have a second pure Famex, but prefer my bastardized Franken model. The chunkier ATT handle helps it to feel heftier in hand. I feel velveteen smooth from neck to noggin and ready for my outing with the bride to the “wilds” of Bucks county!

RAZOR: Wilbert Cutlery 9/16 (Mug), FrankenFamex [Rockwell 6S top cap, Famex baseplate, ATT “Atlas” handle] (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: JR Custom Cashmere Synth
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Royall Lyme AS/Cologne Splash.

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Sat, May21st 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72, Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, excellent design made from 316 stainless steel, easy to work under the nose area. I'm glade I bought this razor and has been very enjoyable, a sharp blade works well for myself.
    Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP (4)- sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice unique scent + excellent lather qualities. Designed for Yaqi by Master soap creations SA.
    Brush : Yaqi orbital ring 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle with some scritch, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
    SOTD May 21 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

20. brit

brit in a box

The Sunday Shave
    french goodwill
    nacet
    opal f200 badger
    pdp 63

20220521_165541_edited.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.