Commonly Used Words That Don't Exist

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

and the other 10%?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?

Ijustmissedthe50s and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Paul Turner

uh, would you kindly answer my question please? :cool:As for yours, the best sample I can come up with is the INfield and OUTfield as parts of a basseball field. Course there's a difference in location between INfield and Outfield, but they are part of ths same "field".

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So why is someone "shot dead", and another is "burned alive".
    Both are in the grave.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Goshwow, Primo. I hope you are doing well, my verbose friend.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

someone "shot dead" is shot with the final result of dying FROM the shot. As for "burned alive", that just makes no sense, as how many people walk around with flames all over their skin?

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Livin' the life, Charlie. Miss kibitzing with you. Best regards to you and Kathy.

Paul Turner and wristwatchb like this.
  8. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Akxs.. IE. When used as I gotta Akxs you a question..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  9. jaro

Aight ..IE. I'm not mad its Aight....

Ijustmissedthe50s and BamaT like this.
  10. jaro

It's not quite on topic , but , I dislike it when people mis-use the words to and too !!

11. Paul Turner

You mean in spelling or speaking?

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If it is spoken, how can you tell if it was used incorrectly? :confused:

13. Paul Turner

Could lead to an interesting debate here.

jaro likes this.
  14. jaro

Written. It is harder to tell when spoken other than the O is shorter / quicker when used as to than when used as too .....

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Because one was either burned alive; i.e. still living, or burned dead (strangled first). Executions and punishments in the Middle Ages and beyond got 'interesting.'

'Near miss' is an interesting one for me. It is, in fact, a hit. As in, "it nearly missed, but didn't." It's just such a odd turn of phrase, and often gets misused.

And then there's this gem...
    Screenshot_20220516-134717_Reddit~2.jpg

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Same here especially hangry.

:)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

How about "fugly"?

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Yes I am lowbrow and I have use that that highly technical term. Usually restoring someone poor attempt at construction or remodeling that tends to self-destruct. When people are trying to repair their house with coat hangers and rolls of duck tape or gaffer tape the situation is going to be fugly.

19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

While a word, I find this to be interesting.

Frequently Asked Questions About irregardless.

Is irregardless a word?

Yes. It may not be a word that you like, or a word that you would use in a term paper, but irregardless certainly is a word. It has been in use for well over 200 years, employed by a large number of people across a wide geographic range and with a consistent meaning. That is why we, and well-nigh every other dictionary of modern English, define this word. Remember that a definition is not an endorsement of a word’s use.

Does irregardless mean the same thing as regardless?

Yes. We define irregardless as "regardless." Many people find irregardless to be a nonsensical word, as the ir- prefix usually functions to indicate negation; however, in this case it appears to function as an intensifier. Similar ir- words, while rare, do exist in English, including irremediless ("remediless"), irresistless ("resistless") and irrelentlessly ("relentlessly).

Is irregardless slang?

We label irregardless as “nonstandard” rather than “slang.” When a word is nonstandard it means it is “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.” Irregardless is a long way from winning general acceptance as a standard English word. For that reason, it is best to use regardless instead.

First Known Use of irregardless
    1795, in the meaning defined above

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Since the word contains two negatives("ir" and "less".....).it should simply be "regard". Oh wait, that already IS a word

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Redrock and PLANofMAN like this.