SoS: May 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Happy Birthday Paul.

awk-m4 and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks Jeff....it was a nice month.

3. Paul Turner

Thanks Jim :).

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

It was May 1.....and this has been a nice month. I'd say I'm a young old man.

5. Paul Turner

Thanks but it was May 1...I'm just saying today's shave ends the month that began with #65 for me :)

awk-m4 likes this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

6277472F-C5CF-446A-86C6-5C6B822618BD.jpeg
    SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, MAY 31

There’s something about the fine grained NYS steel in Geneva, Genco, Cattaraugus, Case, and Thistle Cut straight razors that reminds me of tamahagane, Yasuki, or Swedish silver steel. The steel in these razors is capable of taking a tremendously sharp, or what my honemeister friend, Glen Mercurio, likes to refer as a “stupid sharp” edge. He put me on to Thistle Cut straight razors. I now own two; this one and another, a little shorty called “The Persian” with an engraved scimitar on the blade.

I rarely concern myself with the HHT, but yesterday after the clan left the BBQ at yours truly’s, I grabbed this straight razor and reworked the former 9 Ball Slate edge, starting again on the 12k and then finishing this time on the Gokumyo 20k. I spent a little more time on the Gokumyo than usual. I then raided the bride’s hairbrush, selecting a nice long one. Rather than holding it, on a whim, I dropped it on the reworked edge and observed it slicing cleanly in two. We always talk about great mug straight shaves, but this morning’s three passer was amazing, leaving me glassine smooth.

I do confess that I have a real passion for for Enders Speed Razor/Shavers. It probably is mostly psychological - the result of spending almost three years completing a search for all three handle colors of the last 1950’s model - red, green, and orange (butterscotch?). I found the red and green pretty quickly, but for whatever reason, was unable to find a decent orange. The orange handle I finally located had clearly faded over the last 55 to 60 years to what I like to think of as butterscotch.

This morning’s noggin shave featured the green handled version. For many years these wonderful little shavers sat unused in people’s collections until a blade hack using a de-edged original Enders proprietary blade as a shim for the Schick Proline injector was developed by my friend, Jeff (@jmudrick). At last these great little razors, that used to be handed out to passengers on PanAm Boeing 314 transcontinental Clipper flights, could be brought back into service.

The problem with this approach was that blade placement was always finicky, and while some shaves were superlative, others due to the inconsistency of the latter process we’re not so. Then Ian Ligocki began making a dedicated adapter featuring two neodymium magnets to hold the Schick Proline B-20 injector blade firmly in place. This little adapter changed the game entirely. It guarantees perfect blade placement every time. And that’s why my two pass ATG dome shave this morning knocked it out of the park leaving your happy narrator velveteen smooth from noggin to neck.

RAZOR: Thistle Cut 5/8 (Mug), Durham Enders Speed Shaver (Dome)
    BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Simpson Chubby 3 Sovereign Fibre
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash (Indian Version)

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, May 31st 2022

Razor : Gem G bar or heavy flat top, Mfg 1955-58, mild > tame mid range, If I want a Milder Gem razor this one works for myself, it has a lot of good quality chrome coating to last through the decades and a nice feeling razor in my hand(weight). Comfortable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
    Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

8. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Well happy Belated Birthday Paul!!

Paul D

9. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Tuesday Shave

Lather: Denton Majik unscented soap
    Brush: restored Ever-Ready
    Razor: Henson AL13
    Blade: Personna platinum
    After: witch hazel and aloe
    Cold water shave
    :Animatedfrozensmily:

Comfortable and smooth.

20220531_071406~2_copy_1200x1201.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Smooth Steve, Ron R, brit and 8 others like this.
  10. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOTD Tuesday May 31, 2022

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
    Pre: None
    Lather: Proraso Green
    Razor: Henson AL13 Medium
    Blade: Feather
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Have a great day!

IMG_9752.jpg

11. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Focus Razoblique slant
    Feather
    TOBS lemon & lime shave cream
    Semogue boar
    Aloe Vera
    Phoenix Shaving pineapple bay rum aftershave
    Focus Razoblique Slant.JPG

Smooth Steve, Ron R, brit and 6 others like this.
  12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Razorock Mamba / Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless
    Noble Otter / Bare
    Cravingshaving Synthetic 20220522_124836.jpg IMG_20180213_110253.jpg 20190624_105000.jpg

8/19/1942

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Part way into today’s shave I was thinking that this was the best shave this Wonderedge has ever given me. And it was. Further in I realized that I shaved yesterday and was only removing a day of stubble vs the usual two or three. Mystery solved :rofl:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
    Haslinger Aloe Vera Shave Soap
    Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5/8
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

5885AF59-4EDA-4D3E-A90E-1D9AEFA281DD.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

14. brit

brit in a box

awesome gents,though it's June 2nd.;):eatdrink047:

stuartganis and Ron R like this.