June 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, May 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi Everyone!

The month of May just flew too quickly. I want to thank you all for making this month quite engaging with your shaving posts, pics and some interesting suggestions and info. We broke 3,000 posts for the first time since July 2021. In that month, there were close to 4300 posts under the direction of my esteemed predecessor, @Primotenore Joseph (Maestro). Again, I thank you all for making this thread enjoyable and being more vibrant.

June is here and that means graduation and weddings. Therefore, this month's theme should reflect these events. How, you may ask? Will here is my twist. It takes 2 people to marry each other so I suggest that you use any gear in your setup for 2 consecutive shaving sessions and continue doing so throughout the month. In other words, you could be using the same razor or soap or aftershave 2x in a row. Maybe use an entire setup for 2 consecutive shaves.

Don't worry, I didn't forget the graduation part of this equation. Lol!
    You can start the month with your least aggressive razor and continue through your razors until you reach your most aggressive razor and then repeat the cycle for the rest of the month. You can also do it with your blades going from mild to aggressive and then repeat that cycle. Of course, you are not obligated to follow these suggestions for this month. You can do your own thing because it's your shave and you have a right to do it your way!

Last month's highlights!

Congrats Hogie @Hogie for doing a phenomenal job shaving with your Feather DX. I also want to say that you have taking wetshaving by storm with building a nice collection of razors.

@jgreenepa, Your posts have been full of background info on your razors and is much appreciated. Thanks.

@brit, Your Gillette posts are just so detailed with the background history too.

@ewk
    @MaineYooper and @SRQShaver, The three Erics haven't been around and hope they are well with their life and their shave journey. You are missed.

@Terry, Terry is a longtime member and after a hiatus, has returned to post his shaves on this thread and give a bit of his quirky sense of humor. Welcome back!

@Paul Turner
    Paul is still Mr. Positive with his shaves whether they are great or just plain good. He is a model to keep perfecting and trying knew things to improve his shaves. Looking forward to your Stoylin' Award nominations.

@wristwatchb Charlie and Kathy is doing well in the Bluegrass State. Although he isn't chiming in as often as he once did with his cartoon quips, his presence is still felt. Don't be a stranger.

@Hembree Danny blessed us with is agrarian pics and of course his shaving exploits with his Ikon shaver. He always finds bargains. I think he should do an Adult Education course on Bargain Hunting.

@MrDaniel's
    Daniel's pics of camping in Finland were breathtaking! Thanks for sharing your outdoor adventures.

@JACarbone Always enjoy our breakfast meetings. Retirement has done wonders for you.
    That wraps up May's highlights!

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

images (1).jpeg

Also, let's have a great June with awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Herm2502, JACarbone and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

sneek peek..
    20220531_184138_edited.jpg

JACarbone, Hogie and Trigger like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:Awesome.thank you.:eatdrink047:

Trigger likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

on a serious note..i will use a razor until the blade is failing then change it out,3-4 shaves so more product focus..level will be set.soap in -to soap out.:):eatdrink047:

oh man..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am the same way. I hate to toss a blade after just 1 shave. It is sharp enuff to shave for almost a week! But, I have LOTS of blades...no need to do this. It's just who I am....

6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

"Congrats Hogie @Hogie for doing a phenomenal job shaving with your Feather DX. I also want to say that you have taking wetshaving by storm with building a nice collection of razors."

Thanks Joe! I have found something I enjoy immensely so, I have gone all in! Now to decide how I will do the month. 2x2 prolly (2 items for 2 days before switching)

7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Another phenomenal shave today! That new razor got me SO close on a 2-pass shave. WTG & ATG

Two new items today. The 1930s razor and the Captain's Choice "Italia" AS.

The shave cream today is TOBS "Rose" cream. Lathered up with Simpson X2 brush in my Shave Nation lather bowl. Spoon to measure amount of cream to whip.
    Pre-shave cream is Proraso "White" for sensitive skin.
    Razor is my new to me 1930's open comb brass razor. Large handle made it easy to hold onto. Nice to look at too!
    2nd use of the Astra blade and then snapped in half to bin.

The Rose shave cream is a treat. LOVE the scent! The shave was smooth and close with no cuts, nicks, or errors. No bloody Roses!
    The razor delivered close shave with little effort. Shave Nation alum block raise minor feedback. I really like this razor!

The Italia AS has witch hazel in it. Nice Italian barber scent.

I hope all have a fine day!

DSCN6916.JPG

DSCN6903.JPG

8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Remember this guy?

telly.jpg

MaineYooper, brit, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

That looks like a New Short Comb, if my eyes aren’t deceiving me, Gary! IMHO all the razors in Gillette’s second generation, the “New” models are great, efficient, shavers. Fabulous kit!

brit, JACarbone, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Trigger

11. Trigger

Great shave to start the month Hogie! Congrats on the new additions!

12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree! It's one of the most efficient razors I own now.

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I may repeat the whole shave tomorrow minus the blade. New blade tomorrow! (Voskhod)

14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I will now have to look for a LONG comb then! ;)

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

@Trigger, another great month intro. I'm flattered you mentioned me-yes, I always try to be positive here. As we know, "All my shaves are excellent, the question is, just HOW excellent". And as for Stoylin, our next Tony Awards nomination day is in fact this month-Flag Day. Keeping with Stoylin, I just ordered my first set of Bath Soaps, deciding to try Doc Ezlovan's Bath Soap promo. Sounds like a great deal-I will aways be washing my hands with a Stoylin soap(well, that is, until or unless I decide to quit or pause on the deal.) Go t0 Stirlingsoaps.com, if interested. . (Please don't try "StoylinSoaps"-someone already did and came up empty, leaving me embarassed! ). Anyway, here's to another month of great shaves and fun, informative, camaraderie. :)

JACarbone, Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I began June the same way I ended May. I was hesitant on using the Stoylin Frost Drops in the Sandpiper soap, as it is cooler today. But I went ahead and did it. Big cut(but no so big as to send me to the ER)on the second pass, after a fine first pass. The cut and a miss on the right sideburn area were the negative issues. Porcupine and Cactus came our great, both passes. The Frost Drops really came into being during the second pass..I felt like I was shaving inside a meat locker. The cold-shave 2nd pass, cold-water rinse and the A.S. helped neutralize the bad cut, which occurred at the side(border)of North and South Porcupine(right side). Being modest, this shave gets a Pretty Excellent, even though I was able to control the cut well enough.

17. Paul Turner

That looks like a purty cold bench to sit on while playing the piano.

brit, JACarbone and Hogie like this.
  18. jgreenepa

Telly is right! The Schick Injector II is an awesome blade!
    The LC ic my preferred New model. If I remember, I’ll shave with my silverplated New Standard tomorrow.

JACarbone, Trigger and Hogie like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Good shave, Paul!

Paul Turner, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  20. jgreenepa

4265757D-D708-4F78-94F7-A0E45811D20C.jpeg
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, JUNE 1, 2022

Well, what better way to celebrate the first day of June than to open with a Shave Den product! The hallowed Shave Den shop reopened its doors after a multi year hiatus a few months ago, but I was struggling with some health challenges. I’d bought several bottles of M-Bomb back when it was still readily available. A product that is far superior to Frost Drops IMHO. I was down to my last bottle. But what really works for me is the Glacial AS Peppermint TSD Splash which supported today’s shave.

The mug shave was awesome and featured my Hoshi Tombo 8000. What a fabulous edge which just happens to be the perfect size for eradicating the Kevlar-like curled stubble on either side of the Adam’s Apple (AA). Two and a half passes finished with some flatblading around the AA put the baby to bed! My noggin shave featured the orange/butterscotch handled Durham Enders Speed Shaver which along with my Shake Sharps is my favorite vintage dome shaver. Two ATG passes left me velveteen smooth from neck to noggin.

RAZOR: Hoshi Tombo 8000 (Mug) and Durham Enders Speed Shaver (Dome)
    BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a heavy scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE Monster Aluminum Tuxedo Synth
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with the TSD Shave Shop’s Glacial Peppermint AS Splash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.