The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

They did a pretty good job then. The wood grain on the inside matches the grain on the outside. One of the vendors also said Brazilian rosewood. Martin used to make guitars out of it too. VERY expensive wood. Maybe that's why they copied it. What years did they make these cases? Can you date the razor?

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

wow! I have my Puma now and really don't need another. The Zebra brand also copied zebra wood for the scales which I thought was neat. Plastic for sure tho

3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, there is mostly junk on eBay. I am shocked at what some try to sell there for HIGH prices. I saw one high priced SR that had a blade that was so bad it looked like a steak knife! Honing nightmare or just plain broken

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’ve been after a Case Red Imp in 6/8 for a while, and finally found one that has been restored nicely! 304E2E5F-55BE-4522-BC96-2D1588417498.jpeg 3482EE2B-9887-486B-B279-70F51EBCEED3.jpeg

Hogie, Karl G, DrStrange and 2 others like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Very nice Jeff, that looks like the hollow 6/8, right?

Karl G, TestDepth and jgreenepa like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Spot on, my friend! I’ve spent almost two years looking for an Imp in 6/8. I’ve bought from this guy before. Really looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

8. jgreenepa

Thanks,Gary!

Karl G, TestDepth and brit like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

KCS "TULA"
    K.C.Seelbach Co.
    Solingen
    11/16th
    Extra Hollow Ground

Well, this one is a rusty crusty razor, which screams out "Restore MEEEEEE". I saw this and knew nothing of this brand. I can't even see the full name on the tang, due to rust. But, $7 total, and no shipping charges, it is worth a try. At least the edge looks clean, except for a small bit of rust, on the heel. This is what happens when you leave the razor out, in a humid environment, not Cell Rot. Wish me luck.

P6060046.JPG

P6060047.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Karl G, TestDepth and Hogie like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Excellent info. Thanks Steve, I've edited the post.

An import-export company called K. C. Seelbach Co, who at various times stamped the blade with 'Germany' or 'New York' brought over a lot of Tulas and sold them alongside other brands like 'Buddy', 'Niagara', 'Selbrand' etc. The name changed to K. C. Seelbach Inc when the firm was incorporated in 1921, although they probably still used the older appellations. The company director and the registered address was C. B. Santee, 120 Broadway NY, New York. Later, c1925 they were at 260 West Broadway.

The earlier, original company was started by Karl C. Seelbach in Germany in 1890, hence just 'Germany' on the tangs of the earlier razors (pre-1921

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

C.V.Heljestrand
    B.K. No.41
    Eskilstuna
    11/16th
    Near Wedge

This came as a set, with a Rubberset 400. It was a "Make an Offer" sales, so I offered $30, and the seller jumped on it.

Here they are as I got them.

P6100055.JPG

P6100056.JPG

Rubberset 400 a.jpg

13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very cool additions Scott! :eatdrink047:

Steve56, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Thanks. I got very lucky.

Steve56, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

If anyone can bring this back it’s you - King and patron saint of the rat razors :)

Steve56, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I prefer "The Land of the Misfit Razors". But, a nice sturdy " Rat Razor" always has a special place in my heart. Kind of like my dogs. Strays that I find on the street. They are usually my favorites. But, that's a whole other story.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  17. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Latest acquisition, CVH 923F stainless steel razor, NIB. $65 freight included. A bargain according to me
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Great purchase Hans! :eatdrink047:

lottenhem and Karl G like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Congratulations Hans, nice score!

lottenhem and Karl G like this.
  20. DaltonGang

A.Witte "Classic"
    Germany
    4/8th
    Extra hollow ground

This came very sharp, but needed some polishing. It has a very very thin ground edge. Tiny razor, that I am looking forward to using. BTW, there isnt a flaw on the blade. Those are shadows. It has a mirror polish, like new.

P6290008.JPG