Razorock "Hawk" V3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hogie, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I just got this razor and I have found my best razor! I am very impressed with it so far. I only have 2 shaves with it but, WOW! Used with a Guard blade or a Light blade I get zero feedback from the alum bar. Ride the Cap with this razor. I found it very easy to find the correct angle. Handle is very nice and short & very much to my liking. It is well balanced. I got super close with a 2-pass shave (WTG & ATG). I have ordered some Feather Professional and Super Professional blades to try.

I got it in stainless and the price was not bad. Very good quality control. Nice fit and finish. Very positive lock of the blade so it doesn't move at all! Zero blade overhang so, it can be difficult removing the blade to clean. I simply held it under running water and the blade came right off. Just be careful and don't cut yourself or let the blade go down the drain. LOL

You do have to handle the blade with this razor which doesn't bother me at all.

I have found a new favorite! This razor is top of the pack! I HIGHLY recommend it!

I got mine here:
    https://www.italianbarber.com/colle...ock-stainless-steel-hawk-single-edge-razor-v3

DSCN7216.JPG DSCN7218.JPG RazoRock-Hawk-Standard-HD-Handle_1024x1024.jpg

2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I love mine using a Feather Super Professional blade.
    Considering the price, it's a bargain in my book.

tp

Hembree, Herm2502 and Hogie like this.
  3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

This is a good place to get a razor that doesn't require a second mortgage on the house like some places (Razor Emporium)

Stainless for less than 70 bucks is unheard of.

Hembree and Terry like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Gonna get a second one just incase of accident, wear and tear or just plain loose one.
    It's that good to me.

tp

brit and Hogie like this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got the "Standard" head. I just ordered the "OC" (open comb) base plate for a bit more aggressive shave. I like open comb razors.

open comb.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

That's what I have.
    You'll love it.

tp

Hembree, brit and Hogie like this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Are there many (any) differences between v2 and v3?
    I have the Hawk V2 in blue aluminum.
    Does the extra width (compared to a DE) mess anyone else up? No cuts, but I've mistakenly swiped my ear lobe a few times. Guessing 30 years of muscle memory is working against me here.

Hembree, Terry, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the differences between the V2 & V3. But, I am impressed at how this razor can tame the Feather blades to the point of no aggression at all! REALLY smooth! This is why I have purchased the OC baseplate. There is also an "A" which is supposed to be the most aggressive. My "Standard" is very mild but, that still doesn't trump technique. I would not tell a beginner to try it. A beginner can easily cut themselves even with a gentle Gillette SS Flaretip.

Hembree, Terry and Old School like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I find my V3 gives me just as good of shave and with the open comb base plate and Feather Super Professional blade. I have a hair more blade feel, riding the cap eliminates that. Also if you have the aluminum V1 orV2 the stainless steel V3 is much heavier by far.

tp

Hogie likes this.
  10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The Feather Professional blades came. I now have 3 packs of these (60 blades), one pack of Feather ProGuard, and one pack of Titan Light blades. I can use the guard & light blades in my Feather DX. I will use the Professional blades in my Hawk v3.

Now, I am at a conundrum...which razor to use tomorrow? I was going to use the 1912 Star again because it was so nice today. But, I am tempted to try the Pro blades in the Hawk! That razor is SO nice to shave with! :D

Yeah, I'm well stock for blades. LOL

DSCN7360.JPG

GoodShave, Terry and Ron R like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hawk, hawk, hawk, hawk!!......

Well I am biased, but the 1912 is a great razor.
    I used my V3 hawk with the FSP blade this morning.
    Just because.
    :)

tp

Hogie likes this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

YEP! The Feather Professional blades work well in the Hawk v3. Excellent shave this morning. It got me close enuff in one pass but, I decided to do a 2-pass shave just because. VERY nice! Did I say that I really like this razor?

It's a Mitchell's Monday! Slick Wool Fat.

DSCN7369.JPG

13. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Glad you are enjoying it. Mine is not here right now, as it has been sent off for plating. You should give the Schick ProLine's a try...

Hogie likes this.
  14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, I have found those and will try them after I run out. I also see that you have to b careful where you buy the Feather blades. I like to support Shave Nation but, he charges $8 more than anybody else! last time I buy there! Even Amazon sells the same blades for $16 (8 dollars less). Same with The Italian Barber who also sells same blades for $16. Then I found the Schick!

15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The Open Comb base plate is out for delivery. I may have to use the Hawk tomorrow. :D

PanChango likes this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The Hawk was transformed into a monster with the open comb. I need a lighter touch than I gave today because it bit me 3 times! This is a heavy razor so, I let the weight do the work but, it needs a lighter touch with the open comb. If I am to use this open comb, I may have to switch to a light blade or the ProGuard blades. I will only use the Professional blades with the Standard head.

DSCN7468.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

May I suggest, riding the cap.
    I love my Hawk V3OC with Feather Super pros.
    But it's not for everyone.
    Good luck!!
    tp

Hogie likes this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I had tried the Hawk with a ProGuard blade but, took it out after one pass and put the Professional blade back in. I did not like how the ProGuard blade felt in the Hawk. The Professional blades are right for this razor. I did ride the cap and had a MUCH better shave, I don't think I will go for the Super Professional blades. I plan on using this razor for a few days to a week to get comfy with how it shaves.

The open comb base plate really steps up the aggression of this razor! I used the Bay Rum & Vanilla today but, will try with the MWF tomorrow. Photo shows the ProGuard blades but, I did remove that blade after one pass. Professional blade did the shave. WTG & ATG with some pickup on my neck. The Hawk is a keeper!

DSCN7492.JPG

Terry, brit and PanChango like this.
  19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Going to try this tomorrow. MWF is slick!
    DSCN7504.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, Terry and brit like this.
  20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I tried riding the cap with the open comb but, still too aggressive so, I switched back to the standard plate and had a very nice shave. The standard plate works very well with the Professional blades. I will have to try the OC with a light blade next. This is the first open comb that I cannot handle! I hope the light blades are better fit.

Terry and brit like this.