GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I recently ran across this Micromatic Clog-Pruf razor, but no Clog-Pruf name on the inside. Is this an early version, thanks.....................
    20220605_122114.jpg

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Maybe it was some of the first Micromatic Clog Pruf razors made and decided just having GEM Micromatic was confusing the MMOC or Micromatic first razors made. I always like the way they spelled Pruf, unique way to profile their new razor. Great find and unique to this Micromatic model.

3. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am waiting for this one to arrive. Will this need a shim for the blade?

Star 1912.jpg

Star 1912a.jpg Star 1912b.jpg

4. jimjo1031

GAW9576, brit, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have read that the older ones without the "Bumps" need shimming.

But, then again, I have read that some who used the Hawk SE with a Feather blade cut the crap outta themselves....my experience was very pleasant so, I guess it's YMMV. I plan on using with no shim.
    I just question what I have read is all. Technique!

6. jimjo1031

Some people like shims, some don't. If it shaves fine without one, why change it.

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Nice rare razor the Star 1912 model ( you do not see many IMO). The only time you would need shim in a 1912 model is if the spring blade tension indicator(top cap slot nib) is all the ways forward touching the front part of the slot. It might indicate blade is loose, older blades had a thicker spline so the indicator would show the blade would be under tension but with the newer blade the Aluminum spline is thinner so the indicator could go to far forward. As long as it shows it is under some pressure everything is ok.
    The 1912 models usually do not need shimming but I do have one that is border line to touching the front part of the slot and sometimes I put a shim in to lift the blade to get blade tension. (L-R) Modern Gem blade........... old thick splined Gem blade............................. Star wedge blade .............. Ever-ready old thick splined blade.
    Comparing spline thickness 1.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

Another thing I have seen a lot is "Auto Strop" razors. I have never seen or heard of these before.
    Is it Eveready?

GAW9576, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

no.people use despined gem style blades in them i believe.autostrop had their own blades,the company acquired and became part of gillette in/aroung 1929 ish.:) i believe feather had a version and they still make blades to fit them.

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

GEM stainless blade sits nice and snug. Loaded and ready for tomorrow!

DSCN7296.JPG

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great razor, looks like every thing is normal and the razor looks like New old stock(AKA NOS). Enjoy!

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Hogie like this.
  13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, it does look almost like new. Shiny! This is why I figured it was worth 17 bucks. It feels nicer in the hand than the GEM did. Can't wait to try it out!

14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I like this razor! Audible feedback is nice! My first shave with this went very well. No cuts or nicks and no irritation raised by the alum bar. It's a keeper. Now, to figure how many shaves I can get from one stainless blade. I would like to get a week at the price of these blades. The blade was held firmly and did not move. I will keep this one in the rotation.

DSCN7305.JPG

15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You should expect for a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade any where from 8-20 shaves from what other folks and my self get regularly.

GAW9576 and Hogie like this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

2 weeks will probably work for me. I don't have a heavy beard. I normally mark the blade with a black marker to keep track of the number of shaves. I won't be able to make 14 marks on the blade very easlit tho. LOL A week would be better for binning.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  17. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

First back of the neck shave last night with my chrome plated Clog Pruf -with bar soap no less - and received excellent results.
    For this task I always search my den for a razor with a used blade ready to use and discard. This time no DE razor with used blade to be found. I spotted the Clog Pruf and recalled the blade has a handful of face shaves on it and decided to give it a go even though the razor geometry/shave angle for the task would be new to me. Great results! Perfect razor for shaving the back of the neck as well as the face. Great razor.

18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I had another very pleasant shave with the Star 1912. LOUD feedback as each whisker surrenders. VERY nice! This razor doesn't bite at all!

DSCN7711.JPG

gorgo2, GAW9576, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    GAW9576, Ijustmissedthe50s and Hogie like this.
  20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member