Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Do you find the PTFE coated gem blades to be as good as the blue stars or persona stainless blades? As sharp?

GAW9576 likes this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I find them to shave best with the most comfort. I also get way more shaves with them than with carbon blades.

Hogie, MR41 and Ron R like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

+1

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, May 31st 2022

Razor : Gem G bar or heavy flat top, Mfg 1955-58, mild > tame mid range, If I want a Milder Gem razor this one works for myself, it has a lot of good quality chrome coating to last through the decades and a nice feeling razor in my hand(weight). Comfortable shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4)
    Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX[​IMG] with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a coated Gem blade.
    SOTD May 31 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, June 6th, 2022

Razor : Gem Junior 1912, Mfg1943 Variant, excellent mid range, really a nice handle to roam the face, excellent results with this razor consistently. Mostly a carefree shave with this razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Proraso eucalyptus (green), mid scent strength with menthol, excellent lather qualities for protection.
    Brush : Razorock 24mm Plissoft synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, excellent scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave : Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem Junior 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ever-Ready 1924 WW II Service Set
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Beau Brummel #460 Boar (restored) Brush
    Arko Shave Stick
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Old Spice Shulton w/M-Bomb After Shave

20220606_122820.jpg

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, June 7th 2022

Razor : Ever ready 1924(AKA Shovel head), Mfg 1924-33, Excellent mid range, loads from the back, well made and very much enjoyed by 100's of thousands of folks during its era. I usually receive excellent shaves and different way to load a Gem blade.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Proraso eucalyptus (green), nice mid range eucalyptus + menthol with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi 24 mm Robin boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Post shave : Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovel head with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

MR41 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, June 13th 2022

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing, AKA> bullet tip, guiding eye, MMFW... Tame mid range, heaviest of the 3 Micromatic model variants, some day just a nice DFS is all I want and MMBT gives carefree shaving mostly. Excellent shave this morning.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(7) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Gillette Pure cream- nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather(mixed in with remnants of previous soaps).
    Brush : Yaqi barber pole 24mm 2 band badger- excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
    Post shave : Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my MMFW with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, June 20th, 2022

Razor : Micromatic clog Pruf(Peerless model 17tooth)- Mfg 1945, mid range, well built to last, all brass + nice shave.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap : Ach Brito Lavada cream, nice mild lavender scent with excellent lather qualities. Great cream!
    Brush : Yaqi Mountain lake 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrub, great lather painter.
    Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my MMCP with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I been using my SE razors all week. Monday was the Bullet Tip Micromatic with a GEM Personna blade 4th shave. Mitchell's Wool Fat and Vanilla Pinaud.

DSCN7592.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

We welcome anyone who uses ASR razors any day of the week that uses Gem Blades @Hogie . It fluctuates here with folks who think it is just for Mondays with just using Micromatics but we made rules a long time ago that folks with ASR razors join in, ASR brands Ever-ready, Gem, Star, Treet and Radio.

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Hogie like this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Today's shave was so pleasant with my Star 1912 and the 6th shave with the GEM Personna blade. I been using the MWF all week. I LOVE the feedback I get with this razor. Very pleasant shaver!

No cuts, nicks, or weepers. Zero feedback from the alum bar. Very nice!

DSCN7711.JPG

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I will try the GEM Featherweight with the same blade. Last time I used it, it bit me! But, it was the first shave with the blade so, that could be why. Also, it is so light, it is easy to apply too much pressure. My SE razors with the Hawk v3. The Bullet Tip was very nice as well but, the Star is the nicest for me.
    DSCN7569.JPG

14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am definitely keeping these in my rotation. Especially the Star. I am still learning how many shaves I can get from a blade. I did number 6 today and the blade still feels nice. I figure maybe 2 weeks.

Thanks for the invite!:)

15. GAW9576

Welcome to the thread @Hogie. Those are some great razors you have there.

Hogie likes this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

The GEM Featherweight got me BBS this morning and it only bit me once on the neck!

I mixed a spoon of TOBS Almond Cream with the MWF and got such rich lather! Enuff for 5 passes! LOL I did a 3-pass shave just because it was so nice. Except for the cut on my neck! Re-opened for the second time! Same exact spot it bit me before!

I shaved WTG, ATG, and XTG. Also shaved the dome on top.
    Sandalwood Pre-shave oil by Simpson.
    Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T1

I wash my face with the last of the lather froom the bowl and the brush.
    The Thayers is nice after shave and so is the Geo F. Trumper skin food

Minimal feedback from alum bar except for that cut!

I will finish the week with the Star 1912 because it is so pleasant to shave with. The Featherweight looks like new! It is a close shaver but, pay attention when using it!

DSCN7735.JPG

17. GAW9576

I'm a little surprised you got bit buy the featherweight. I have 3 different ones and they are fairly mild yet still efficient. I use extremely light pressure, just barely tickling the skin. At least I try to use that technique consistently and that's when I get the most comfortable shaves. I also try to keep the top cap nearly flat to the skin unless I'm doing a little touch up on a really stubborn spot.

Hogie likes this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I probably got careless again due to the shave being so nice. I imagine I used too much pressure. It was on the last pass that it got me. I have a few shaves with the Star 1912 and it has not bit me even once! Same with the Micromatics. I have 2 shaves with this GEM and it has bit me both times! I can shave with my Gillette Slim set on 9 and no nicks.

I am using the Star tomorrow to finish the week.

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Just picked this up today. My first Micromatic. Looking forward to posting on this thread.
    s-l1600.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Hogie like this.
  20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Very nice! I like how these shave. My open comb Micromatic is a bit worn out and the "Door" doesn't operate like it should so, I have ordered another one from a better vendor. The door on my open comb likes to stick closed so you have to nudge it out of the worn spot.

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.