July 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi Everyone!

We had a great month of shaves. I can't believe how June flew by like an Olympic sprinter. I want to thank all of you who participated last month with your interesting posts and great pics, especially some of the non-shave pics. It is now July and the weather is getting warmer. In the States, we celebrate July 4, Independence Day to commemorate the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The 13 original colonies decided to break away from England and King George the Third's tyrannical policies. It is in this vain that I propose the first Patriotic Theme Month ever in this thread. Now, I realize that we have members outside the US so I will explain how you can participate in this theme also. We are all proud of our country and/or ethnic origin so I am proposing that we use an item in every shave this month that honors your country and/ or ethnicity. For instance, I am a US native, but my ethnicity is Italian, so I can use USA artisan products like Stirling, or to pay tribute to my heritage Cella, Razorock, etc. It doesn't have to be a soap or aftershave, it could be a razor, brush, etc. Hopefully, you get the idea. @JACarbone Joe gave a nice alternative to this month's theme and it's Just One July. This requires to use just one shave item to use for every shave. Basically, it's a 30 Day Focus.

Highlights of the Month

First, We were told by Jeff's son that he was in ICU last week because he had an adverse reaction to medication. Let's continue to keep Jeff @jgreenepa in our prayers and thoughts for a complete recovery. I am sure you all would agree we miss his banter and historical info on his razors.

Second, it was Barry's @palmolive fox and yours truly's birthday ( June 7 and June 16 respectively) last month. Hopefully, we attained some more wisdom as we gained another year to enjoy life.

Third, @Hogie Hogie broke his MWF ceramic bowl that he decided to buy another one. Despite the mishap, he proceeded to have great shaves and he seems to have zeroed in on vintage single edge razors, at least for now.

Fourth, @Paul Turner Paul's adventures in wetshaving continues to provide interesting reading for all of us. Also, his Sept 20 deadline to post a pic of his shave gear is fast approaching, so let's encourage him to get it done before that date.

Fifth, @Terry Terry and @JACarbone have shown us how to BBQ and smoke meats. It's too bad they live many miles away from each other because I would like to be judge on a cookout contest between these two guys.

Finally in my quest to constantly seeking to tweak this thread, I decided to change the group hug picture once again. I didn't like the original baboon hug picture because it just was an ugly depiction of who we are as guys. I realize it was meant for comedic relief, but I wasn't buying into it. I changed it to koala bears last month because I couldn't find anything else that was suitable. However, koala bears are definitely cute and fuzzy. We are shavers so we shouldn't be fuzzy and I suppose some of us aren't too cute. Lol! Therefore, I found a pic of clean-shaven guys giving a hug and that definitely is a good representation of who we are on this thread. I hope you all agree.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

images.jpeg-2.jpg

Also, let's have a great July with awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I did not start the month on a good note! The new razor bit me several times! BURN! This new razor is a different beast!

New razor - GEM Micromatic and fresh GEM stainless blade
    preshave cream was Proraso Blue
    New soap for me - Mudder Focker
    Brush - Simpson Trafalagar T1

I showered last night before bed so, I warmed face with HOT washcloth while I warmed my brush and lather bowl. This soap looks like mud in the container but, it makes tons of rich lather. It is a bit more thirsty than other soaps I have used. I had to add water a couple times. This razor is more of a beast than my other Micromatics. I did a 3-pass shave and I am not happy with how it shaved. No really close. I nicked myself all over my face and neck! Face is burning a bit...

I may stick with the soap for the month but, I am not sure about the razor. I will have to decide which razor and if I will give this one another go. Soap is really nice but, the razor biting me so much took all the joy out of this shave! Not even the Thayers could calm my face today. Geo F Trumper calms the face some.

I may give my face a day or two to recover!

DSCN7958.JPG DSCN7959.JPG

brit, JACarbone, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  3. Trigger

I definitely feel for you Hogie. However, the setup and pics look really nice. Take care.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    JACarbone, palmolive fox and Hogie like this.
  4. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

One July -- One Humankind

I dedicate July to the self-evident truth that "all men are created equal," and each individual is endowed with inherent dignity deserving respect.

I commit to using razors made in the United States during July. Last night's shave featured the maiden voyage of a gifted Gillette 195 (Fatboy). Also represented are a soap made in Germany and a brush made in China that pays homage to the beautiful Sagrada Familia basilica in Barcelona.

IMG_20220630_201020920.jpg

brit, JACarbone, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As for your "Fourth"(no, not July 4)highlight....I am making SOME prOHgress with the pictures, but still have a way to go. But I'm in for July. My special(discount)shave soap from Razorock should be here on the 6th. I'm glad to see my shave posts have been "interesting"...that's better than "not interesting at all", I suppose. I need to focus this month on Porcupine Alley(chin and area just under the nostrils). Too many Cuts and Knicks happening there. Today was no exception (see 30DC July....oops this IS that lol)). This summer I've used shave soaps more often than in previous summers-I like that. But still the Barbasol and Edge don't go unused.(Oh, and how can I forget my Clubman Brushless shave cream?). Best wishes to you, @jgreenepa as you deal with your health situation. And best wishes to all of us as we do our shaves and talk about them in the usual friendly good-natured manner. :)

brit, JACarbone, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

I made a couple arsenal changes to open July from the way I closed June. I brought out the Rocky Mtn. Barber Co(Barbershop) "Cream In A Puck"(my quotes) and had the Jayaruh #59 brush. My RMBC is also close to being ready to flip, in fact I was thinking of doing that after tomorrow(when I use it again), but I guess there's a bit more than what was in the Central Texas Soap puck. I wasted a comfortable shave(that's the feature of RMBC...that "fresh healthy feeling)", by blowing it on Porcupine Alley with a cut and 2 Knicks. Everywhere else checked in as top tier, but for my Porcupine friend(to me, the area you most want to shave to avoid a mustache). The coolness of the cold-water rinse and Aqua Velva AS did help weaken the appearance of the damage there, to increase the final grade. Since, as I said, everywhere else is fine, this gets a Most Excellent.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    wristwatchb, brit, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Excellent shave and awesome pick for this month's theme Eric. Have a great day.

brit, JACarbone, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  8. Trigger

Terrific first post of the month Paul.

brit, JACarbone, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Trigger

Nice start to the month Paul.

brit, JACarbone, Hogie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Thanks Joe...I'm just glad the damage was weakened by the cold products.

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am trying to decide what to use for the month. I could use the Hawk v3 and try to master that open comb base plate.
    I may use this and alternate between the plates.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat would be a good soap for me for the month. I have plenty. My heritage is mostly from the British isles. (Scottish, Irish, and British in that order with a tiny dab of Finland tossed in)

DSCN7982.JPG

brit, JACarbone, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  12. Trigger

That's a good foundation right there.

brit, JACarbone and Hogie like this.
  13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My face has calmed down now so, maybe I will shave tomorrow. I have not had such a bad shave in months! The silver Micromatic was not aggressive but, the brass one is VERY aggressive! About the same level as the Hawk with open comb base plate!
    Ride the cap!

14. Trigger

Well, you know how to handle that razor the next time.

15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

That is a cap-riding razor for sure!
    Off to the italian restaurant for some good lunch!

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

As one of the first members of the 30 Day Rule/Focus threads, I need to mention that I was the originator of the baboon group hug picture. Those of you that were around then can attest to the fact that it was a representative pic of that group. If the members have evolved over the last seven years, it was probably time for a picture update. The group I remember would look more like this today We were not a glum lot.

[​IMG]

I just purchased a Stirling SS razor, with two base plates, that has a reputation for being aggressive to wicked. I plan on using this razor as a 30 day focus.

Friday SOTD

[​IMG]

Stirling SS Razor (ST plate)
    Astra SP Blade
    Mickey Lee SW The Drunken Goat
    Stirling Bay Rum Beard Balm
    Ogallala Bay Rum

This is the milder of the two plates. It gave me a two pass BBS with no irritation or blood. I’m impressed. I’ll try the deadly looking plate tomorrow.

It’s good to be back. I look forward to getting reacquainted with you guys.

Have fun!

17. Trigger

Welcome back Brian! Great to see you here once again! As the overseer of this thread, my purpose was not to insult you or anyone concerning the original pic. I never liked it from day one, but everyone has different perspectives on things. Since I took the helm last October, I tweaked this thread somewhat because I believed it was overdue. I encourage everyone to pm me on any constructive input they may have. Again, I am glad to see you returning here. Have a great day and looking forward to your future posts.

brit, palmolive fox, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Well done Joe

brit, palmolive fox and Trigger like this.
  19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave Brian. Welcome back!

brit, mrchick and Trigger like this.
  20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Italian restaurant again. May be to warm for some pasta fazool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.