Best Soaps based on 3.5 years of data

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by feeltheburn, Jul 3, 2022.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

So I started keeping a log of my shaves in a database about 3.5 years ago. Mostly because I wanted to get smarter on databases but I pretty rarely go back and look at the data even though I've been logging it all this time. Well, I decided to take a quick look today and lets see if there's anything surprising...

Here are my rankings based on comfort. I rank every shave based on the amount of alum feedback I get. None at all is a "1". Slight alum feedback is a "2". I very rarely get any more than that anymore but a 3 is for stinging. 4 is for weepers.

These are the soaps that gave me perfect irritation free shaves at least half the time.

I've used 3 Wilkinson Sword Sticks and they came out #1, 2, and 5 in my rankings. So it looks like this is my best soap.

#3 was B&M Reserve Waves
    #4 was A&E L'Orange Verte

I know this is the soap forum but one surprise was that Proraso creams came in #6 & 7.

#8 was B&M Reserve Classic
    #9 was B&M Vespers (not a favorite scent though) - this was their current recipe. I can't remember the name of it right now though.
    #10 was AOS Tallow Sandalwood - sadly unobtainium now.
    #11 was L'Occitane Cade - a several years old puck that I understand has been reformulated since.

Several others that I remember being really good, it turns out only gave me perfect irritation free shaves less than half the time. I'll go through some of those in another post.

So, for whatever that's worth, that's what my data shows. There could be some factors that influenced the outcomes here. For example, I used the Wilkinson Sword Sticks mostly when traveling and often the places I travel have softer water than I do at home. Also, I usually take one or two favorite razors with me on longer trips so that probably raises the number of perfect shaves a bit. Some soaps may have been knocked just under that bar of 50% perfect shaves by me experimenting with new razors or something like that but generally I do most of my shaves with razor/blade combos that I know work well for me most of the time.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Frijolero, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. feeltheburn

These are the ones that gave me perfect shaves a little less than half the time but often enough that I'd still call them good...

DR Harris Lavender
    Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic
    Zingari Man Nomad
    A few other B&Ms came in just under half and they were all older formulas - Cologne Russe, Seville, Lyssa
    Modern Williams - no kidding. It was a surprise to me too.
    Valobra Stick
    Cella
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Palmolive Stick
    Soap Commander Inspiration
    Haslinger Sage
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  3. feeltheburn

I thought about the category of soaps that were just bad but in my data, it was clear when a soap couldn't give me a really good shave after a week or so of trying I just didn't shave with it anymore. So you might say I didn't give them a chance but why should I with so many great options out there. Anyway, here's that list.

Arko - I know lots of you like it but it's too drying for me and nothing could make it better. So more for those who like it.
    Col Conk High Desert Breeze

4. brit

brit in a box

cool results.i have and love the b & m reserve classic and waves.nice stuff.have you tried the new soap base?,just curious.i may try it ,but it needs to be exceptionally better before i buy it.:eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

These two both had the dead cow reformulated out of them at some point. Were you using the original or the new?

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  6. feeltheburn

Both of those were the old tallow versions. I still have another tallow Haslinger in the stash but after that's gone, I might try the new stuff. I hear it's still good.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Frijolero and brit like this.
  7. feeltheburn

The Vespers that made my top tier list was the new stuff and it is excellent.

8. brit

brit in a box

thank you Brian.i will give it a go then.i like their products.:)

9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Still good is my experience, for the Haslinger at least. I haven't tried the newer Fine soaps.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

3.5 years, eh? I'd have to say Central Texas Soaps gets a slight nod over Stoylin. The Soap Exchange and Phoenix A.A. tie for third.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.