Help Please: First Vintage DE Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think I have a DUS (dirty used stock) :rofl:

Sara-s, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

:D:eatdrink047:

Enrico likes this.
  3. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

All of the Bonds seemed to use canned goo.
    I'd better stop with creams, pucks, and brushes, and start using canned goo, too!
    Then I'll be cool!
    :)
    - Bax

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

All the cool agents use Barbasol .................

;)

5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I love my Gillette Old type, which is the only older razor I own, other than a military service set that is only used on special occasions.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Took me awhile to figure out that razor is a Type L injector from the pic.

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Appropriate for when the movie came out (Live and Let Die 1973) and gives a fine shave.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It also proves that Roger Moore was the best Bond since he used an injector razor.

Enrico, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use to think Roger Moore was the best, but now I have three that were very good as Bond and each of them shave with a different razor ...... DE, SE, and straight.

brit likes this.
  10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I think a Gillette Slim Adjustable ticks all these boxes.

[​IMG]

You should be able to find one in excellent condition - like mine above - for about $50 or so on eBay, or pay about double that for a renewed one from Razor Emporium.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

So @TheBurgh did you ever decide on a vintage razor to get?

12. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

^^^^^^^Yes, indeed I did!

Just completed second shave with circa 1967 Schick Krona razor in near mint condition. $20. A bit of rare extreme good luck at the Bay.

Limited results thus far (with Gillette Platinum blade), but initial impressions are "meh." Not as mild as The Winning Razor and Karve Overlander (both of which love the Platinums) and much, much less efficient. I won't abandon further testing with different blades e.g. Nacet and Wizamet.

SHAVE ON!

Frank Shaves and brit like this.
  13. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

One thing to watch for on Ebay razors is damage to the safety bar. I've picked up DE razors before that didn't shave nearly as well as they should have. I checked the blade gap with feeler gauges, and learned that the safety bars had been bent, making the blade gap inconsistent, or too tight. Some sellers ship the razor in an envelope rather than a box (that's ASKING for damage during shipping). Be careful with ebay razors... I'd be sure to check the gap before using it. A poor shave might not be the razor's fault... rather it may be the fault of an uninformed seller or rough handling during shipment. I'd check the gap (and adjust as necessary) before changing blades.
    Good luck!
    - Bax

Ursa, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  14. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Nice! Hope it shaves well for you!
    - Bax

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Kronas are great!

Ijustmissedthe50s and Aztecmike like this.
  17. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Excellent point. I'd like to add that damage doesn't just occur during shipping--scores of vintage razors have been bent out of whack by being dropped and by being stuffed into toiletry kits without a case.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  18. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Nice one! I myself use a 1950's Gillette TTO speed razor and a 1962 Gillette 3 piece razor as my daily drivers. I was lucky to get the '62 Gillette in amazing condition plus it's my birth year razor. :happy096:

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and TheBurgh like this.