Leather Crafts

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have done a little bit in the past, mainly using paint & my wood burner. I have added some leather stamps & dyes to my repertoire Here are some projects;
    84C2EAC6-097F-4175-8A09-13050B08D5D3.jpeg 1CF9B323-7F5E-49C3-A48D-D30405C04D4C.jpeg

This morning I started restoring my husband’s casual belt. The finish is wearing off the edges. So I went over them with black leather paint & will burnish them later today.

Any of you do any leather work?

BamaT, jtspartan, Slipperyjoe and 8 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been thinking about getting a Tandy starter/beginners kit.
    My uncle was big into leather craft - wallets, belts, purses, he even did a couple of bowling ball bags.
    Unfortunately he passed many years ago, so I don't have the opportunity to learn from him.

BamaT, Ijustmissedthe50s and Sara-s like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I was still living in NY state, I used to do leatherwork. I made some wallets for friends and ended up making concealment holsters. Mostly friends and a few cops.

4. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I've made a boatload of stuff... belts, pouches, holsters, sheaths, camera cases, etc. I sorta had to when I was a kid due to lack of other options (if you want it, you'll have to make it). Leatherwork can be fun if you take the time to use the right resources (tools, dies, etc), or it can be utilitarian if you just need to meet an immediate requirement. Maybe someday, long after I retire, maybe I'll take up leatherwork from a decorative perspective, to make stuff that's not just functional, but pretty, too!
    :)
    - Bax

BamaT, Ijustmissedthe50s and Sara-s like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They do have some fairly nice starter kits. Check the site, as they just started a sale. They have a store in Lyndhurst, NJ. I don't know if that is anywhere near you.

If you enjoy it, you will probably want to invest in a heavier mallet early on. The one in the kit looks pretty light.

BTW, I just finished re-burnishing my husband's belt. It isn't "good as new" as it has had a lot of wear, but it looks much better.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    BamaT and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. swarden43

@Sara-s There's a Tandy store in Northeast Philly about a half hour away. Gotta get some time to check it out.

Sara-s likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I went to the one in Nj. It’s about a 40 minute drive from here. It was most enjoyable. They have a testing table where you can try some of the stamps. Also, it smells great.

8. swarden43

Lyndhurst is an hour and 30 minutes for me.

You mentioned the smell of leather. Now I may have to hasten my plans to get there!!!

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    swarden43 and richgem like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nicely done. @battle.munky is another leather worker.

Here is a card wallet that is with me daily.

IMG_20210706_204045_947.jpg

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hmmm.... could you take another photo? I can't quite make out the number. ;)

12. swarden43

Sara-s and richgem like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

985F5C2F-00A8-4220-B284-5CB7FBBB7C1B.jpeg 06C2A2D3-0332-49D4-8E5C-D40B49612F7E.jpeg

@swarden43 indeed you do!

After I made that knife sheath I discovered that I didn’t have a knife that fit it. Those I have are too small or too big. But this weekend, hubby bought me a Buck knife that fits perfectly.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  14. swarden43

Wow! Great job on the sheath, Sara.
    And a knice knife, too!

Sara-s likes this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nicely done!

Sara-s likes this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm just glad that Sara used real leather. I mean all those poor pleathers fighting for survival is a real pity and it's about time that someone thought about their plight. :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool.:cool:

Sara-s likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just started another Tandy kit. This one is for an eyeglass case. I have done some stamping (right-handed, which is a bit awkward). I am waiting for some items that I ordered, to do the next steps.

While I'm waiting, I got started on a couple of valet trays. I have cut the leather, marked where the holes (for snaps) go and rounded the corners. Corner-rounding punches are quite sharp, so yesterday, I took some oven bake clay & made a blade cover for it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s and mrchick like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got some more goodies today. My favorite is the 2 lb. Anvil. It’s useful as a work surface for punching holes, setting rivets, dropping on cartoon coyotes, etc.

But there is just something really comical about a 2 pound anvil. See for yourselves;

500CE135-FA6C-40DE-BF6C-50C64E7F2A48.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. swarden43

That's cool!

Sara-s likes this.