GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough the pushbutton is a somewhat mild razor. I do like them though.

Ron R and Hogie like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There are 2 variations of these besides plating one has striations on the guard to pull skin and the other has a smooth guard. It doesn't make much of a difference in the shave but the ones with the striations do a slightly better job.

3. GAW9576

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'll have to check mine and see which I have.

Ron R likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well I saw that handle @GAW9576 and @Rosseforp had on their razors recently and thought why not make one for myself also to join the Micromatic handle conversion club brought back to life from the damaged razor bin. I had a Micromatic that was sent to me with a broken blade stop and it was taken apart for pictures of what one looks like disassembled. So with my hand tools I hacksawed the nip off and filed it flat and drilled it out 4.2mm and hand tap it 5mmDia X.8 mm pitch with a old tap I had. It will make a perfect handle for steep (riding the bar) shaving because I like a short handle for that type of shaving(less leverage, less weight and easy to maintain angle near the collar bone area). Total length just under 2 3/4 inches which is perfect for my needs and we all know they have excellent grip who have used a Micromatic.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

GoodShave, Hogie, Aztecmike and 6 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Been awhile since I've had both but iirc correctly silver colored ones lacked striations and gold colored one had them on the guards. Also there are plenty of ebay listings on these razors to look at to see the difference.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Nice idea.
    But I'd love to see a Micromatic handle being used on a 1912 or even a Kampfe Star :cool:

GAW9576, Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Love it. Good work.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Will have to make a thread adaptor for that combination of razor handle to razor head for a Gem 1912.

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  9. GAW9576

I will try to accommodate that wish tomorrow as long as I have time to shave.

Ron R likes this.
  10. GAW9576

How's this.

Just having some fun today with two incredible razors on custom modified Micromatic handles.

IMG_06072022_215205_(1100_x_1100_pixel).jpg

11. riverrun

That is awful.
    Because now I want one each...:angry017:

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. The Star... drool... OMG!
    :signs107:

Hogie, GAW9576, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. GAW9576

You know how to reach me if you need details on how to make one. ;)

13. riverrun

I'm sure the instructions start with destroying one of my perfectly good Micromatics and will not cover the subject of the left hands.
    :p

Frijolero and GAW9576 like this.
  14. GAW9576

Not at all. The process starts with getting ahold of a damaged razor to salvage parts from.

Hogie, mrchick, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  15. riverrun

That might a problem in the UK.
    I'll try...

("WTB Broken Micromatic Razor" posted on all UK forums. That should raise some eyebrows)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    GAW9576, Ron R and mrchick like this.
  16. GAW9576

I posted a WTB ad for the 2 I used. Although I'm in the US we're they are more common. PM me if you need any help.

17. riverrun

On the one hand, I want one today.
    On the other hand, I've been known to lie in wait in the murky eBay waters for years until the right prey shows up.

Ron R, GAW9576 and mrchick like this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

My replacement for the bad/damaged Micromatic shaves so nice! I used a blade with 3 shaves on it already and got a very pleasant shave.

I would like instructions on how to use my bad one to make a handle for an open comb head that I currently have. I won't mess with my 1912 Star becuz it's like new! This Gold Micromatic is nice looking too.

DSCN8609.JPG

gorgo2, Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  19. GAW9576

Are you looking to make the bad one into handles like I did in the picture above? Do you have another MMOC head that you want to put together to make one good razor?

20. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I would like to make a handle for an open comb head I have. Or maybe I can grab another 1912 model and use the head. My Star 1912 is nice as it is. I don't plan on throwing this bad razor away.

GAW9576 likes this.