Picture support

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 5, 2022.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was just trying to help you out.

It happens that I do agree with you, and the lack of photo support is probably one of the reasons this forum has stayed small. Maybe start a thread at the help desk? Or ask why it can't be done?
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/forums/the-help-desk.78/

If it aggressively compressed the pictures, it could cut down on the bandwidth, which in turn would save the forum money in the long run. JoAnna @Queen of Blades should run this by @sparky5693
    ____________^^^_______________
    Figured I ought to post this here from another thread. It's a good idea.

Paul Turner and Queen of Blades like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have never had a problem posting a picture here. Sometimes, I have to reduce the size, but it’s not difficult.

Hembree and Queen of Blades like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If I'm on my PC, I just reduce the size using Gimp, after editing it, also using Gimp. On my phone, I use Tapatalk to access this forum and it automatically reduces the image.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In previous posts I recommended a size reducing app, or a forum image host like www.imgbb.com

I don't know anything about forum software, so I don't know the difficulty or cost involved. If it's a simple plug-in, I see no harm in exploring the option. If not, no big deal. We will continue as we always have.

Paul Turner likes this.
  5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

How to post a picture from your iPhone ? Can someone direct me to how ? Like a existing post or step by step tutorial for someone who is smartphone challenged ( or Amish )

6. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I use the built-in photo app that comes with Windows 10. Just click on the "resize" option.

One thing I noticed -- even if you reduce the file size below the limit, it doesn't always work. You need to reduce the resolution as well -- though the error message you get doesn't specify what the max resolution is. I just reduce until I no longer get an error.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. ShaversRUs

I never use the iphone for posting here -- the darn keyboard is too small and I get loads of typos.
    I guess your question has 2 parts: a) how to access the "upload pic" from the mobile version of the site, and b) how do you reduce the pic size on an iPhone before you try to upload.

Not that I can help, but I suggest you post your iPhone model and iOS version, since Apple likes to change things alot. Plus the browser you use on the iphone.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Wow. Thanks. Wasn’t aware that the IOS version had an affect. Currently a IPhone 13. Is that what the option post quick notes is for ? I probably have some setting off. I shut off a lot as I was trying to post a review of a product for a website I purchased something from and it was trying to get access to my camera ?

ShaversRUs likes this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Never had a problem with a Android phone in the past but this IPhone marketed as intuitive is a humbling experience

ShaversRUs likes this.
  10. ShaversRUs

iOS version could have an effect. When I got a new iphone recently, there were differences, some small, some large.
    My beef with all these new devices is that they don't come with a printed manual! How can you know how things work if they are not documented? But don't get me started on that...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just transfer the pic to your PC, then to the forum.