The Haul: August 2022

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

i like and use these regularly.the etched as well as the inked versions.great blades..:):eatdrink047:

Enrico, Hembree, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Raffle prizes arrived!
    Looking forward to using them!
    Thanks @BBS for donating!

IMG_4890.jpg

3. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Look what I got for $25 at a collectibles store called Joys & Toys in Hatboro PA. I got 2 Williams Mug shave soaps still in the wrapper and box, a Colgate Cup Soap in box, a 1947-50 Gillette Super Speed and a vintage dispenser of Wilkinson Sword blades made in England. If anyone has any info about the blades or anything else, let me know. F07ED985-AF87-43DA-89D8-FA1F89747EFD.jpeg

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

pretty decent blades made in England

Ron R, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  5. Angelo85

Thanks.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ive heard good things about the wilkinson sword. I have used one and they are smooth. The williams is a good lathering soap with nice slickness. Your soap may have that Slight musty smell due to age but it performs great

7. Angelo85

Thanks for the info.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What do you call a Ranger Tech that's all brass from the neck up? Found one today.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. jimjo1031

I saw it too. Thought it was a Milord tech with a lot of gold worn off. Or a badly cleaned Ranger tech.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The neck up us pure brass but the handle isn't, there's a clean break between the two.

brit likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

Looking closely at the brass areas, it appears to have been cleaned using a rotary tool, like a wire wheel and even a grinder, because of the marks. The outside of the doors still have nickel on them, while the insides appear to be brass. And other parts of the head still have nickel plating. I've done the same on tech heads that were really corroded to remove the nickel to get to the brass. Those parts of the head that now have no plating are where I've seen a lot of corrosion on similar Super Speeds that weren't taken care of. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that's what was done to this razor.

brit likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That was a very nice deal, @Angelo85
    :happy088:

Angelo85 likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Where can I take a look?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's not it, came by mine today at an antique mall. And an aluminum Atra handle.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

Oh. still I'd check into it. never heard of one. @mr-razor ?

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looked there, no exact match. Picture an RT, the first one with no end caps, nickel from the handle to the knob. Everything above is raw brass, apparently never plated.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

maybe a fluke that went through, or a mistake taken by an employee. I'm just guessing, I don't know.

brit likes this.
  19. Angelo85

Thank you very much.

20. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

I have seen this configuration referenced as a Gillette Ranger Tech Hybrid. I obtained one myself a while back and can confirm the brass head seems to have never been plated. There is speculation these were rushed out of production with the heads being left unplated due to WW2.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=44487

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.