Soap destroys Teflon

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 18, 2022.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. Read all about it here:
    BBC News - PFAS: Possible breakthrough to destroy harmful 'forever chemicals'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62561756

TLDR: sodium hydroxide (a common ingredient in soap) attacks PTFE (Teflon) and other PFA compounds, causing them to break down into inert substances.

As for Teflon coated blades? Studies* have shown that one shave removes all Teflon from the blade edge. Make of that what you will. (And yes, this has been known for a very long time).

*photos from an electron microscope.

GoodShave, jimjo1031, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Very interesting.

I must add though, "soap kills PFAs" doesn't have the same ring as "soap kills germs"

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No wonder all the teflon pans don't work well, after a few months of work.

Enrico, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The Teflon Don should never have taken that shower.:rolleyes:

brit, PLANofMAN and gzp like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sounds like the stories they put out on slow news days. Sodium hydroxide is used in the process of making soap. But once it reacts with the other ingredients (fats & oils) it changes chemically and is no longer sodium hydroxide.

So there should be none, in your soap, when you actually wash a pan with it. What is really bad for teflon is just plain wear & tear. Non-stick coatings get less slick with time & use. That's why I use cast-iron (for cooking), which gets more slick with time & use.

As for blades, the coating has to be fairly thin, so the likely cause of wear & tear is just plain old friction.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    GoodShave, Daywalker, gzp and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Cast iron for me, with about everything I can use it for.

brit, richgem and Sara-s like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Same here. I have some enameled cast-iron & one All-Clad skillet, for stuff that is too acidic for the cast-iron. (E.g. tomato sauce, lemon chicken.) But for omelettes, biscuits, pan-fried chicken or pork chops, you just can't beat cast iron.