Razorock "Hawk" V3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hogie, Jun 10, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I bought them on Amazon. Happy to send you the 19 I have left if you want to give them a try.

Hembree and jaro like this.
  2. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Thank you for the info...

Hembree likes this.
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Hembree, Terry and jaro like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

FYI...
    IF, IF, IF....
    you're inclined to use a Feather Super Professional blade.
    These blades, are from my understanding, wider from front to back.
    This makes the blade more exposed.
    This will make the razor seem more aggressive.
    I highly recommend riding the cap.
    Otherwise a rough shave will be the result.
    The Feather super Professional blades are all I use in my artist razors.
    After trying most if not all other blades for my artist razors I own.
    I've settled on these blades.
    My two cents...

tp

Hembree, Hogie and jaro like this.
  5. jay_gatz

I thought this was the case after installing it, but when placed side by side with a KAI Mild, they seem identical in dimensions. I understand the main differences with the Feathers are bevel angle? On another note, seem to only get a couple of shaves out of the KAI's, had to change it mid-shave after two full ones.

Terry likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well I never have used a micrometer on them so I can't prove it It's dimensions compared to other blades. But the Feather site seems to imply that blade exposure is greater.
    But I get 2 full shaves head and face with the FSP blade.

feather.co.jp/en/bh_Products/professional.html

tp

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  7. jay_gatz

Maybe the difference is the placement of the holes? If they are closer to the back of the blade, it would sit further forward. Could be a very slight difference?

Terry likes this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

After looking around online.
    I found that the blades in question are normally 8mm x 50 mm.
    I was able to get specs on the Feather blades and the KAI blades.
    Now the Feather Super Professional blades specifications are 8.2mm x 50 mm.
    FYI.

tp

9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got a very nice shave with the Hawk open comb and a mild blade. This is a first for me! No cuts, nicks, or weepers!

Razor - Hawk v3 with open comb base plate
    Blade - Captain Titan Mild (2)
    Soap - Sir Hare Classic Barber
    Brush - Simpson Trafalgar T3
    Pre-shave - Proraso Blue
    Thayers toner & Proraso balm

I was a bit apprehensive going into the shave using an un-guarded blade but, it turned out to be very nice. I rode the cap and this is what was needed. I simply did not have the correct angle before. I may try a Professional blade next! 3-pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG with minimal cleanup. Alum bar gave almost no feedback. Very light touch & ride the cap works!

I also used a lighter coat of cream so,I could see what I was doing. Slow going. This blade is wider but, that doesn't mean you need to shave more faster! Easy does it!

I think I have tamed this beast! :)

I hope you all have a pleasant shave today!

DSCN8518.JPG

Terry and mrchick like this.
  10. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Weekends are for the Hawk! Nice Saturday shave!

Razor - Razorock Hawk v3 standard base plate with Professional blade (2)
    Soap - Mudder Focker cream
    Pre-shave - TOBS Herbal Gel
    Brush - Simpson T2 Trafalgar
    Post-shave - Thayers Toner with Witch Hazel & Aloe
    Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food
    A/S Pinaud Clubman

Very pleasant 3 pass shave with no cleanups. WTG, ATG, XTG. I did manage to nick my chin! Alum bar stopped leak and gave minimal feedback. The shave with the Hawk is always pleasant. Nice heft to this razor.

I am sore today but, off to a Music Jam BBQ with friends. Geetar time!
    I hope all you guys stay cool!

DSCN8653.JPG

11. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Weekend Hawk shaves. This Sunday shave was excellent! I tried my newest soap from TOBS, Peppermint. Cooling to the face. I like peppermint! I use the small spoon to measure amount for shave.

I discovered that my watch had stopped! Automatic Seiko 5 will stop if you don't wear for a day. I wore my solar Seiko yesterday.

Razor - Hawk v3 with Feather Professional blade (3)
    Soap - TOBS "Peppermint"
    Brusg - Simpson T2 Trafalgar
    Proraso "Blue" pre-shave cream
    Thayers Toner
    Geo F Trumper Skinfood

Showered and used cool water to shave. Peppermint works well with the Proraso Blue and cools the face. 3-pass shave left me nice and smooth. As if I needed another soap but, I really did not have any mentholated soaps and now I have 2. Just in time for summer! :cool:

WTG, ATG, XTG with no cuts, nicks, or weepers! Alum bar gave minimal feedback.

DSCN8674.JPG

12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

13. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Another excellent shave with the Hawk v3 and a fresh Feather Professional blade

Hawk v3
    Feather Professional fresh blade
    Proraso "Blue" pre-shave
    Proraso "Green" Menthol soap lathered with cold water on the brush (no blooming)
    Simpson "Commodore" brush
    Thayers Toner with Witch Hazel & Aloe
    Dab of Geo F Trumper "Skin Food"
    Pinaud "Clubman" Vanilla

Pleasant cool shave with the menthol Proraso. I may add a dab of Peppermint to the mix tomorrow. I don't bloom the Proraso but, rather, simply load the brush with cold water and commence to whisking to load it with the soap. This seems to work well. Nice lather that I didn't have to add much water to. Cooling for the face! WTG, ATG, and a bit of cleanup delivered a BBS shave. Alum bar gave no feedback. No cuts, nicks, or weepers! The Hawk is my fav modern single edge razor.

DSCN8951.JPG

Ron R likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Hogie, do you have other plates for your V3 Hawk. The OC plate others claim is the most aggressive and others are content with the regular and the A plate. I use the Feather Professional blade and they work the best in my Yaqi Excalibur and the Schick Proline are also good. Looks like your enjoying the well made Razorock V3 Hawk !

Hogie likes this.
  15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I have the open comb base plate but, it's too aggressive for me! I use it with the ProGuard blades. Maybe I will use that one tomorrow.

Ron R likes this.
  16. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I took a day off and let the beard grow for 2 days. Today was the Hawk v3 open comb and I think I have this razor tamed! Rode the cap with zero pressure and got the nicest shave so far with the Hawk v3 open comb!

Hawk v3 with open comb base plate
    Captain Titan Mild blade (1st)
    Proraso Blue pre-shave cream
    Chiseled Face "Ghost Town Barber" soap
    Thayers toner & Geo F Trumper Skin Food (tiny dab - a little goes a LONG way)
    Clubman Pinaud reserve "Whisky Woods" AS

Cold water face wash and cold water for the lather. The open comb was very nice today and gave me a super close shave. I may have to wait another 2 days to shave again! 3-pass shave with no cleanup. BBS shave! I could have even stopped at 1 pass! VERY pleasant shave. Alum bar gave zero feedback. This is my first shave with the open comb where I got no cuts, nicks, or weepers! No irritation at all! I have this one dialed in and now need to try it with a Feather Professional blade. (soon) I will use up this mild blade first.

I hope all have just as pleasant a shave today!

DSCN8977.JPG

Ron R likes this.
  17. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I tried a Professional blade in the Hawk today. It bit me at least 4 times! Back to the standard plate!
    DSCN9022.JPG

Ron R likes this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Today's shave with the Hawk v3 with the open comb base plate was so nice, I am going to continue with the Hawk this week to see if I can graduate to a Feather Professional blade. The Titan "Mild" blade gave very good results.

Razor - Hawk v3 with open comb base plate (The Beast)
    Blade - Captain Titan Mild (2)
    Pre-shave - Proraso White
    Soap - Castle Forbes "Lavender"
    Brush - Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Post - Thayers Toner & Proraso balm
    AS - Proraso

I warmed the bowl & brush while I washed my face. I used my spoon to measure a dollop of soap, dropped it into the bowl, and in less than a minute had nice Lavender richness. I could have stopped with one pass but, I did a 2-pass shave WTG & ATG with no cleanup. Maybe the Mild blades are the best match for me? No cuts, nicks, or weepers and no feedback from the alum bar. VERY pleasant and close shave. I may not have enuff to shave off tomorrow!

I am seeing the bottom of the Castle Forbes but, I still have more lavender in reserve to use before I buy any more of this brand. I have a Classic Shaving puck and a jar of TOBS yet to use. I like Lavender.

Yes, the Hawk is still my fav. VERY efficient.

DSCN9232.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  19. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am the only one posting here.....this thread can be closed
    Lack of interest.

20. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I just ordered the Hawk V3 with all three plates.

I read that some people felt the 'A' plate was less aggressive than the OC plate.

I am hoping that this razor will help me use up the extra blades I have lying around including the ones I bought from TryABlade.com that that did not work in any of my other AC style razors.

Hogie likes this.