30 Day Rule/Focus; Sept 2022

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Aug 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

I want to thank everyone who participated last month in posting their shaves. I have to say you all had great shaves. Gee, I am from NY, where did you all come into my speech pattern. Lol!

Wow! Summer is fast approaching its end with Labor Day weekend just around the corner. Before we know it, the holiday season will be upon us. However, we have many shaving days before snowflakes start to descend from the heavens above.
    In the meantime, I have been thinking about September's theme and propose two for this month. One theme is not an original and that would be Single Edge September. That's right! It is time to get out your Single Edge razors, such as your Gems, Schicks, Supply, Straights, Shavettes, etc. The other theme is Stirling September. It means that you can incorporate any Stirling items in your setup, so it's not just soaps, but aftershaves, balms and brushes, etc. As a reminder, this month's themes are suggestions and you are not obligated to follow them. In fact, I encourage you to think of your own theme of the month and it doesn't have to be an alliterative title.

Last month's Highlights

First, I want to welcome back @Ivan_the_Shaveable, Neal to our thread. For you new guys, Neal was the moderator for our thread for many years. Without him, we wouldn't have this great thread. Thank you. Also, He happens to like Russian steel as his screen name implies.

Second, I also want to welcome back @jtface, James. He is our brother from another mother across the pond. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Third, Paulie's Photo Countdown continues. Over the years, @Paul Turner has been reluctant to post pics of his setup. We gave him a year to get it done. The deadline Sept 21 is fast approaching. Let's cheer Paul to finally post pics on the thread.

Fourth, @jgreenepa Unfortunately, we haven't heard any news about our good friend Jeff's health status. Let's keep him in our thoughts.

Fifth, @Hogie had issues with his motorcycle, but all is well so that he can go to his favorite Italian restaurant. He makes sure he is clean-shaven for his favorite waitress. Somehow, food tastes better when your fav waitress serves you. I am sure Hogie agrees.

Sixth, Before I forget, I want to welcome @PLANofMAN, Ryan to the thread. Ryan is a longtime TSD member and has posted the virtues of the Rolls Razor. Keep those posts coming.

Seventh, @JACarbone, Now that Joe's son Anthony will be back in school, he will get back on his project of restoring some of those razors. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Eighth @brit, Gary has stated that he may want to try shaving with a shavette. If he does, then that's a big step forward. Go for it Gary!

Finally, Congrats to Danny for adding the Mars and the Tatara Masamune razors to his den.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this thread!

I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave:

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:

The Focus
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great September of awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Herm2502, Hembree, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  2. Trigger

I have decided to engage in both monthly themes. I will use my straights, shavettes, and my single edge safety razors as well as using my Stirling soaps. However, I will use other brands of soaps, too.

3. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

1st September 2022.

8.jpg
    Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears with Mint Extracts Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Anbbas 24mm Tuxedo synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl : Bowl : Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather : The Body Shop Maca root & Aloe shaving cream.
    Blade: Feather Hi Stainless. (D4)
    Razor: Parker Variant. (Settings) 2.5-wtg,2.5-xtg,3-atg+pick ups.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Superdrug Forest Fresh ASL./Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

A wonderful performance from the Parker Variant/Feather Hi Stainless duo to finish my shaving week, and to start September off on a high note.

Without sounding as though I'm repeating myself i have a great fondness for all my parker razors, but the Variant is my favourite not because of it's cost ,no for the simple reason, that this solidly made versatile adjustable razor has gave me consistently irritation-free silky smooth shaves with every shave I've had with it.

My appreciation for the efficient Feather Hi Stainless has grown immensely.

An enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Fresh Moisturising Gel.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

PS: Thanks Joe....Please keep us updated with any news on my yankee doddle dandy friend @jgreenepa

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Hembree, GoodShave, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

awesome Joe.Thank you.:):eatdrink047:

5. brit

brit in a box

cool start to the month Barry.:cool:

6. palmolive fox

:signs001: Gary.

7. brit

brit in a box

stirling september will definitely be my thing,weather pending? at least 2 of mine are fall/winter geared but work on cooler days.time to really start enjoying this soap.single edge may see some time also..maybe a shavette attempt?..i have used one once with ok results.happy september gents..:):eatdrink047:

Hembree, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  8. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful shave this morning Barry.

Hembree, brit, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Thanx, Joe for the mention!. Bike still all tore apart in the garage but, some parts arriving today. I will have to wait till next week to get the last of the parts tho....

The single edge theme is a good one for me! I have plenty of SE razors! I will start next week as I want to get familiar with the DX again. I may use the DX thru the weekend too!

The shave with the Feather DX was nice. I did manage to re-open a nick on the corner of my mouth! I am amazed at how close these Guard blades can shave! Not as close on my neck but passable. I even have the switching hands working better for me and not as awkward.

Razor - Feather DX shavette
    Blade - Feather ProGuard 1st
    pre-shave - TOBS Herbal Gel
    Soap - MWF
    Brush - Classic Shaving synthetic
    Post - Thayers Toner & Geo F Trumper "Skin Food"
    AS - Clubman "Whiskey Woods"

Washed face and pre-heated bowl/brush. I bloomed the MWF with hot water. I am getting to the bottom of the TOBS Herbal Gel. Not getting again. Works nice but, not for the price! I did a 2-pass with minor cleanup along jawline. WTG & ATG. I did get some feedback from the alum bar due to trying so hard to get close on my jawline! Right side is hardest!

But, I seem to have the DX somewhat dialed in. It did not bite me with lots of cuts. I did re-open a cut on my corner of the mouth. I had both shavettes out in case I had trouble using the DX but, I did not end up using the japanese style.

Passable shave that was enjoyable. I do need more practice with the DX so, I will use it for a few days.

DSCN9646.JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Hembree, GoodShave, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  10. palmolive fox

:signs001: Joe.

Hembree, brit and Trigger like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20220831_201608.jpg
    Razorock Hawk with solid bar plate.
    Razorock thick bar stainless steel handle.
    Feather Pro Super blade.
    Razorock 400 Plissoft synthetic brush.
    Razorock What the Puck soap / Barber Shop scent.
    Timeless Razor shave bowl.
    Irish Chestnut by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

I had forgot what a great shaver the Hawk is. Three very nice drama free shaves. The Razorock soap punches way above it price point and I mean way above it.

Happy Thursday everyone!

12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Now you see why I LOVE my Hawk v3. The standard plate tames the sharp blades nicely. Watch out with the open comb tho (ride the cap).
    I place the Hawk at the top. My favorite modern single edge razor.

Hembree, GoodShave, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  13. Trigger

You are welcome. Awesome start for September Barry! Great setup! Believe it or not, my first setup will be with my Parker shavette later this afternoon. If we don't hear from Jeff, then I will try to contact him before the end of this month. Have a nice afternoon.

Hembree, GoodShave, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  14. Trigger

You are quite welcome Gary.

Hembree, JACarbone and brit like this.
  15. Trigger

You are welcome. Wonderful start to the month Hogie! It takes time to get comfortable using both hands with a shavette or straight razor. The conventional wisdom is that 100 shaves will make you proficient.

16. Trigger

Great start to the month Danny! Have an Alabama awesome day!

17. Trigger

Paulie's Photo Countdown

20 days!

18. palmolive fox

Thanks joe.:happy088:

19. brit

brit in a box

fine start to the month gents..:cool::bounce017:

20. Trigger

Terrific shave Gary! Stirling soaps are so easy to lather and provides more than adequate slickness. Of course, the price point is reasonable. Enjoy your day.

JACarbone, Hembree and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.