What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I bought 100 Bic Chrome Platinum, 100 Gillette Platinum & 100 Silver Star Super Stainless blades. The Gillette Platinums were very affordable on Amazon (less than $10 for 100).

2. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I want to get a 100 of ShaverBoy and the Treet black beauty’s. For some reason the carbon steel is so smooth for my skin

3. Mike-R41

The Bic Crome platinums are the better version of Feathers lol. Just recently after many years of trying I finally got around to get zero irritation shaves from them and the first shave is decent then after that they get dull for me lol. Idunno maby I corked it too much lol. But you know how a lot of people say feathers are the best on the second or third Shave? I always tell ppl that the Bics are like the feathers on the 2nd shsve but you don’t need to wait lol . Very sharp blades

Ijustmissedthe50s and Angelo85 like this.
  4. Mike-R41

The Gillette platinum are decent, I prefer the Silver Blues over them. The platinums are a bit sharper and less smooth imho

5. Mike-R41

They sure are!

my new top 5 is

silverblue
    Nacet
    Personna red
    Treet black beauty
    PermaSharp

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. Mike-R41

Cant go wrong with them

7. Mike-R41

I didn’t find that the case, for many years I couldn’t seem to get good shaves with them until I corked it, and the first shave was great but the 2nd was too smooth lol. I’m going to not cork them next time and see what happens. With me it seems as of late I can use any blade I want. Derby’s extra and feathers I always never liked. Most Russian made Gillette blades have my heart lol

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. Mike-R41

For me the honorable mention goes to

astra green
    Gillette super thin
    Gillette spoiler
    ShaverBoy
    PAA’s Strange blades
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Treet Platinum
    PolSilver (too expensive lol)

that being said I would like to try the Wizamet

Ijustmissedthe50s and DaltonGang like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

10. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

The Bics I find harsh in most of my razors but perfect in my 1965 K-4 flare tip. Good luck and I mean in the most positive way.

edit: and my 100 pk of Bic Cp’s is getting dusty in my closet since they’re not used much.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    brit, Angelo85 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A 100 Perma-sharp and 100 Lord Platinum

Why because I really like Perma-sharps and I like the Lions that were made by Lord so I hope I'll like these. Also the Lords were $7.99 ..... very hard to beat.

:)

12. Mike-R41

Just literally ordered these!!!!

4F0A94F0-05AC-490C-A437-A57CA280892E.jpg

Ursa, BamaT, CarlfromMO and 2 others like this.
  13. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

A 100 pack of Gillette Nacets. They work well in my Yates 921 razor and Italian Barber had them on sale for $9.99.

14. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I see they are on sale right now! I'm so close to buying them...even though I really don't need them. :)

Ursa, BamaT, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  15. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

I totally understand. For me, $9.99 is a trigger point for buying 100 blades but I think I am set for a while now. :)

Ursa, Ijustmissedthe50s and awk-m4 like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

After a number of recent posts about Tatra blades, I finally ordered 100 for $9.99. Received my order a couple of days ago, and had to shave with one Saturday and today. After I get a few more shaves in, I’ll post my opinion, but will say so far so good!

17. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Just ordered a 100 pack of BiC Chrome Platinum, and a 100 pack of Tatra Platinum.

I've really liked the BiC blades in the past--they're very sharp, just "smooth enough" in my Slim to be enjoyable, and are the longest-lasting blades I've yet encountered.

I ordered the Tatras based on the generally positive reviews here on TSD. With the consensus indicating that these are smooth shavers with good longevity, I'm hoping they'll be a good fit for my aggressive razors where the BiC and my made-in-Israel Personna blades can yield a rough shave. We'll see.

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My initial impression after only 3 shaves in a Gillette Slim set on 4, is the Tatra Platinum blades are very smooth, and sharp enough that I like them and would order again. For comparison purposes, I like Gillette Platinum in a blue package, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, and I like Gillette Nacet pretty well also.

I’ve only had good results with one Israeli blade; I can’t think of the name at the moment, but it was not the ones you mentioned. They all dragged for me, in any of my razors. I have a fairly thick tough beard.

19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the feedback...I'm feeling better and better about going for the Tatras.

The best balance I've found so far between sharpness and smoothness has been Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge blades. But, they start to drag midway through the third shave for me. If the Tatras perform similarly but last longer, I'll be a happy camper.

I almost ordered some Gillette Nacets, as well. Perhaps I will, before prices on blades start to go up.

20. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:

Ursa likes this.